E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
pr0craztinazn

My Ride: '87 325
Another LSD option: MFactory?

http://www.teammfactory.com/metal-plate-lsd - Three different options are listed. I sent them an e-mail asking about fitment; the thread is below:

Quote:
Quote:
May 31
Hello,

I noticed that you updated your facebook page with pictures of the new
T50 Tall 5th gear that has been eagerly anticipated in the AE86
community for quite a while now, and when I checked your website to
see what else you offer, I noticed that you have a listing for a 1.5/2
way metal plate/clutch differential for the BMW E46 chassis. However,
I didn't see any fitment information regarding which E46 differentials
your unit fits. The non-M3 differentials have 188mm diameter ring gear
sets and come in two different forms; taller/numerically smaller
differentials (2.93, 3.07 ratios, for example) are offset in the
housing differently than the 3.15, 3.23, 3.46, etc units. There is
also the 210mm ring gear M3 differential, so I would like to know
which type of differential your limited slip units will fit.

In addition, if any machine work or other parts are required for the
fitment of this differential, please provide this information as well.
There are reviews for this unit that I found from a quick google
search, so any information you may provide would be incredibly useful.

Thank you,
pr0craztinazn
Patrick Seto MFactory pcseto@teammfactory.com
Jun 4

Hello pr0craztinazn,

Thanks for your email. The version that we have is a NON-M3 version at 168mm end to end.

There are no additional components required for the install.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Patrick Seto
General Manager
THE Replacement for Displacement!
www.teammfactory.com

MSN: pcseto@teammfactory.com - 24hrs!
AIM: MFactoryPatrick - 24hrs!

Stay Updated! Be a fan of ours on facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MFacto...s/173380319860
Has anyone used this before? Lots of searching hasn't yielded any info on the BMW application of this LSD, although the Honda guys seem to love their products. Does anyone happen to know if the measurement he gave matches the tall or short ratio diff height? I am prepared to order one in a couple of months if this fits in a tall ratio diff; I would rather stick with my 2.93 for gas mileage purposes.
pr0craztinazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Interesting, and good price point too. I wonder if its noisy

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 06-13-2012 at 09:48 PM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
The 168 differentials are not known to handle much torque.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
The 168 differentials are not known to handle much torque.
It's not clear by "168mm end to end" if that is the ring gear diameter or the length of the barrel/carrier. I would assume that was referring to the carrier as the stock ring gear would need to be transferred over during the diff build.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 06-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
TxZHP04

The total lack of warranty on this diff would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
It's not clear by "168mm end to end" if that is the ring gear diameter or the length of the barrel/carrier. I would assume that was referring to the carrier as the stock ring gear would need to be transferred over during the diff build.
I was thinking about that. But it sounded like they were referring to the 168/188/210 diff sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
The total lack of warranty on this diff would be a deal breaker for me.
Really? It's a fraction of the cost of other differentials out there. Paying half my car's value on an LSD is generally a deal breaker for me

Granted I already have an LSD... but I've been thinking about getting myself another E46 (or E39 530i which has a similar diff to the E46)
Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Really? It's a fraction of the cost of other differentials out there. Paying half my car's value on an LSD is generally a deal breaker for me
From my perspective, the cost or value of a mod really has nothing to do with the value of the platform being modded.

On a part and company with absolutely no BMW track record, you betcha. Especially since most are going to sacrifice their stock open diff to build this LSD. Figure $900 for the LSD chunk, a min of $300 to have the diff built, plus another $300 for an open diff core (optional if you want a back up in case of failure) and you're looking at a min of $1500 to get rolling. For only about $450 more (depending on ratio), you can get a proven quality product with a 3 year warranty built to spec by Performance Gearing (and still get to keep your core).

From what little I've been able to gather from the JDM scene, the subject diff seems about on par with Kaaz in terms of noise and smoothness (and the Kaaz can be had for about the same price) and I have yet to see any long term feedback on durability.

Last edited by TxZHP04; 06-14-2012 at 09:34 PM.