E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
AC smell location of evaporator

I've got the stink bad in my ac.

I wrote a few weeks ago about using the outer wrap of a phone cord to connect to my lysol can to stick down the center vents and drip the lysol onto the evaporator, coz I really don't want to have to open things up and clean it off manually.

Could someone tell me, if they actually know, the location of the evaporator relative to some known location from the interior?

I want to stick this 20" long hose in the best orientation to clean things up...

That, or anyone have a link for the evaporator cleaner I've seen recommended that foams and which has a long hose attached to it? All the ones I've found in local shops has a 1" hose.

Anyway, trying to kill mildew smell and the diys I've read haven't covered this.

Cribs: want to know size, location, orientation of evaporator relative to front center vents.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
kalamazoo

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/AC/smell.htm

http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html
kalamazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
dmax

Thanks, Kala.

I'd seen that diy, and frankly, was hoping to avoid doing that...actually...WILL avoid doing that! I had a back operation years ago, so do everything I can to avoid such odd positions.

I'm hoping that the evap is located such that I can actually apply liquid Lysol (it turns liquid at the end of the hose...I'm actually looking for a nozzle I can add to it and get through vents so have a spray again...I'm trying to invent my own, lazy man's diy for this smell).

Anyway, appreciate the help, but hope someone can tell me where I should be spraying/dripping lysol...if that's possible.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 07-31-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
k41

My Ride: 04 330CI TiAG
dmax are you the one with the light blueish car? that went to GPNY with us?

anyways

i got the same issue a bit. ill check again
Old 07-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by k41 View Post
dmax are you the one with the light blueish car? that went to GPNY with us?

anyways

i got the same issue a bit. ill check again
Guess not...my car is Fern Green (yech, I know!) and I don't know what gpny stands for...Grand Prix New York?

A recent set

Old 07-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
I recently gave Klima Fresh a try and was very pleased with the results. I purchased it from bavauto and it's super easy to use. It's basically a fogger can that sprays up into the the recirc air intake in the passenger side foot well with the fan blowing max to draw it through the system. Takes about 10 minutes.

http://www.liquimoly.co.uk/index.php..._details&id=36
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I recently gave Klima Fresh a try and was very pleased with the results. I purchased it from bavauto and it's super easy to use. It's basically a fogger can that sprays up into the the recirc air intake in the passenger side foot well with the fan blowing max to draw it through the system. Takes about 10 minutes.

Went looking for pass side recirc air intake. Didn't see and also tested for suction anywhere...is this intake hidden behind a panel or something...or might anyone know where it is on '99?

Thanks again...like that klimafresh idea!

Doug

A recent set

Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
dmax

Quote:

I tried something else and it worked for a year...stinky smell back again.

Anyone know the location of the AC return vent? I believe it's right next to the center console, under the glovebox...anyone know if that's right?

I sprayed into it while the recirculate and AC was on, but it didn't really suck in so well...just need to make sure that's it.

A recent set

Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
dmax

So, since I know I'm way ahead of so many in mileage, I know I also ask a lot that few have needed to do.

Anyway, I searched Bentley, and the first thing it covers under AC/heating is the smell! It says to remove the FSR and spray the spray behind where it comes out.

I think that's interesting that all the cans of AC spray say to just put the car on recirculate, spray the stuff, turn off AC and let it soak. I'm going to try that again just for grins, but if this doesn't do it...behind the fsr I guess I'll go!

I don't quite get why the fsr needs to be removed, as if it's recirculating, there's obviously a path that sucks air in through the housing with heater core and evaporator.

Also, for all those looking for the evap drain, Bentley says that after removing fsr and spraying, that it should then drip from the drain...I know many have been trying to find this little hose sticking down, and although I 'thought' I saw it by the clutch bleeder valve, I'm not 100%.

A recent set

Last edited by dmax; 07-10-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
kalamazoo

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Quote:

anybody have a lead on where to get this in the US. i checked bavauto.com and even called them. they can't get it right now (and it's not on the website).
kalamazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
mrc.engr

My Ride: 1966 E-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Went looking for pass side recirc air intake. Didn't see and also tested for suction anywhere...is this intake hidden behind a panel or something...or might anyone know where it is on '99?

Thanks again...like that klimafresh idea!

Doug
That's my problem on my 2005 330.......where is the air intake that's used in the recirculating mode ???????

Can somebody tell me clearly and specifically ?

Thanks........Mike
mrc.engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
mrc.engr

My Ride: 1966 E-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
So, since I know I'm way ahead of so many in mileage, I know I also ask a lot that few have needed to do.

Anyway, I searched Bentley, and the first thing it covers under AC/heating is the smell! It says to remove the FSR and spray the spray behind where it comes out.

I think that's interesting that all the cans of AC spray say to just put the car on recirculate, spray the stuff, turn off AC and let it soak. I'm going to try that again just for grins, but if this doesn't do it...behind the fsr I guess I'll go!

I don't quite get why the fsr needs to be removed, as if it's recirculating, there's obviously a path that sucks air in through the housing with heater core and evaporator.

Also, for all those looking for the evap drain, Bentley says that after removing fsr and spraying, that it should then drip from the drain...I know many have been trying to find this little hose sticking down, and although I 'thought' I saw it by the clutch bleeder valve, I'm not 100%.
What is the FSR ???
mrc.engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
BMWUSMC3051

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Your over thinking it, more then likely it is your cabin air filter located near the windshield under the hood my e46 had same smell changed filter fixed the issue try that first of u never have changed it also the have stuff specially for a/c don't use Lysol buy a/c leaner and put the hose in the a/c drain tube located under the car spray in there as well as the vents n it will be fine.
BMWUSMC3051 is offline   Reply With Quote