E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #21
Qik-BMW

My Ride: 04 3.0 Transplant
How much did you have to pay for the custom exhaust work?
Qik-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Does it drone? The drone at 2k in my car is quite boomy.
I would say this is the perfect mod for you then. Probably the two biggest things I noticed after doing this is first the rasp at 3-4k RPM is gone, and second the boomy drone between 1k-2k RPM is much reduced. I think I can start the car in the garage now without the entire house knowing it.

EDIT: But I just remembered you changed out the very rear muffler already, so I guess there's no guarantees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushcountry777 View Post
How much did you have to pay for the custom exhaust work?
We started work at just before 9am and were done by 11am. Spent $100 on the Magnaflow 14386 (same as the 11386 only its polished), and the labor cost me $140.

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 07-29-2012 at 08:24 PM.
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
Qik-BMW

Just got done installing the x pipe muffler in mine as well. You guys that have the 16533 magnaflow system have got to install the 3 rd x pipe muffler. Your bimmer will sound more like a porsch 911 turbo instead of a honda when you do this. I promise you will love it. Thanks rkneeshaw and rob43

Last edited by Qik-BMW; 07-31-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #24
Brian N

My Ride: 2001 330i Jet Black
Any clips Brush? Also do you have headers?
Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
Qik-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
Any clips Brush? Also do you have headers?
Yes, I have AA headers. As far as video clip, the op did a video clip and it's hard to hear the difference on video. But trust me, their is a difference for the better.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #26
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Just got done installing the x pipe muffler in mine as well. You guys that have the 16533 magnaflow system have got to install the 3 rd x pipe muffler. Your bimmer will sound more like a porsch 911 turbo instead of a honda when you do this. I promise you will love it. Thanks rkneeshaw and rob43

Nice, looks right to me! Sounds so good. 5 days in and I'm still loving my windows down and still find my self noticing how much better it sounds. Not nearly as obnoxious as it used to be, just great sound.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
911 Turbos sound like ass. If what you say is the case I'm out.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #28
Qik-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
911 Turbos sound like ass. If what you say is the case I'm out.
It was just an expression, let me more specific for some of you out their. It sounds more like a european race car instead of a tricked out Honda. Their must be a reason that Borla uses 3 mufflers on their exhaust catbacks for or our cars. Cause the magnaflow with only the 2 mufflers is the one that sounds like ass.

Last edited by Qik-BMW; 08-02-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #29
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Cause the magnaflow with only the 2 mufflers is the one that sounds like ass.
I wouldn't go that far. With headers on the car the magnaflow 16533 out of box did have some rasp in the mid RPM's and was a bit loud, but the general tone of the exhaust sounds very good, it just needed to be refined a bit more because of our headers.

Don't let that dude get you riled up, he clearly posted a provocative statement on purpose. I get what you meant by saying it sounded like a 911 turbo, whether it exactly does or not, the exhaust sounds friggin sweet now that this extra muffler was added in. And because the pipe diameter and the xpipe is maintained, performance is the same with no loss.

For those with headers, this exhaust system with this mod should be at the top of their to-do list!

Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #30
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Any chance you could get some more videos, inside and outside? In the video I do actually hear some rasp.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #31
rkneeshaw

Maybe if you listen close you can hear a bit of rasp in the first two segments of that video, and that makes sense because that was before I added the muffler. The third and last segment of that video is after the muffler is installed. There's no rasp, it sounds very nice.