E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2002, 04:34 PM   #1
HH814

My Ride: RD-Equipped Ci
Unhappy Water Spots help!

I washed my car today and for some reason, I have some very stubborn waterspots on the hood and trunk...it's very noticeable on black, any of you guys experienced this? Last time my car was washed was about 2 weeks ago, and the car is 5 weeks old so the paint is relatively new. any help will be greatly appreciated, tia

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:40 PM   #2
Anthony
Bimmerless

My Ride: '09 FX35
Very warm water. Good luck
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 04:40 PM   #3
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
Wash it again...

if that doesn't get the spots out...get some claybar and do the entire car...it make a world of difference!
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 11:43 PM   #4
mfino
I give up.........

My Ride: 00 323i SP-P blk/blk
I would recommend using the California Water Blade. It eliminates most of the water spots. Your water could also be the cluprit. Try a good soap, or 3m Imperial Hand Glaze. That stuff works magic...

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
mfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 11:50 PM   #5
Ed328ci
Too many rock chips!

My Ride: E90 325i
Send a message via MSN to Ed328ci Send a message via Yahoo to Ed328ci
How about Megiure's Quick Detailer spray?

Ed
Old 06-01-2002, 11:53 PM   #6
mfino
I give up.........

My Ride: 00 323i SP-P blk/blk
Good Call Ed. I usually end it with that too. Works well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed328ci
How about Megiure's Quick Detailer spray?

Ed

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
mfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 02:06 AM   #7
HH814

My Ride: RD-Equipped Ci
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, I've tried washing it again, applying Meguire's wax, vinegar, all a few times, wash, soaped, rinsed, vinegar, wax, I also tried Mother's quick detailer, clay bar, carnuba wax...spent about 30 bucks....and it's still there! although not as noticeable...I've given up, i spent about 5-6 hours just to attempt to get rid of it...and something tells me even if i get rid of them, they'll be back tomorrow. The price of a black car....*sigh* I'll try using the blade and the 3M glaze next time.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:52 AM   #8
Gs330Ci

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Did you wash your car in direct sunlight? If so, that is probably why you have the water spots. Either that, or you didn't dry the car after washing. Never wash your car in direct sunlight, or if the surface is hot.

That doesn't tell you how to gid rid of the spots you have, but will help prevent future spots.
Gs330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:46 AM   #9
deputydog95

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
It's etched your paint.

You need to use a polish. Polishes have a mild abrasive. It won't hurt your paint. You only use it once in a while. Get some 3m perfect it for dark cars. You can apply it by hand. That will do the trick.
deputydog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:51 AM   #10
bimmerboy
~BiMMeRBoY~

My Ride: (Under construction)
1) As soon as you notice water spots use a quick detailing spray (for future fererence )
2)Wash your car as normal w/ shampoo
3)Rinse
4)Now use distilled vinegar, put on mit or sponge and wipe it on one section at a time and let it sit for 30 to 60 seconds and rinse.
5) When you are done wash and rinse the car again
6) The vinegar removes wax, so wax your car again.

Note:
If water spots are allowed to stay for more than a week or so, the minerals will etch the paint. In this case, using vinegar will remove the mineral spots, but the paint will have etched spots (dimples). It is necessary to use a polish or mild polishing compound to restore the paint surface.

Hope this helps!!
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:21 PM   #11
wkay

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Re: Water Spots help!

I'd certainly like to know what the chemisty of water spots is, I've only had a few cars over the years that are susceptible to them and dont know why. I mean, with clear coat and waxes, they shouldnt even form, cant think of any other surfaces that are so effected and, in the case of glass, you can get them off with more water. I had one car so bad you couldnt even wash it in the shade, dry instantly, and not see big white circles everywhere. Got so bad I eventually had to take a polishing compound to the car to remove them and it did prevent recurrence, though the finish was an older one. Whatever you do, dont try ammoniated products, they'll dull the finish permanently.
wkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:25 PM   #12
bimmerboy
~BiMMeRBoY~

My Ride: (Under construction)
When water evaporated off of your car's paint, it leaves begind the trace elements it contains. Calcium and metals are the most damaging elements found in tap water, whereas rainwater may contain damaging acids and air pollutants.
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:26 PM   #13
Conrad
Modelrater

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Send a message via AIM to Conrad
I just use Meguire's Polish.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:59 PM   #14
Scoot

My Ride: 2001 325i (blk/blk)
The harder and more concentrated the minerals are in your water supply, the more likely you will have water spots. Well water is the worst. To greatly reduce them, install a water softener (or wash at a friend's house with one).
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote