E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
breyton E46

My Ride: 325ci
M54b30 clutch on m54b25

Hello.

Has anyone done this swap in their car?
Flywheels are al the same for the 6 cilinder manual cars and i have seen that the 325xi and 330xi both use the same flywheel and clutch.

Did anyone experience any problems after doing this?
breyton E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
breyton E46

No one here ever do this?
Old 07-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
GuidoK

My Ride: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
I swapped a z4 3.0i clutch which also has the 228mm diameter for sachs race engineering one which has 240mm. That is no problem. both fit on the flywheel.
However you do need to take into account that a clutch for a 5 speed wont fit a 6 speed. So if you have a 5 speed now, you must get a 5 speed clutch plate.
Also be reminded that they have SAC clutches. Fitting those is pretty different from fitting a normal clutch.
E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
GuidoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I swapped a z4 3.0i clutch which also has the 228mm diameter for sachs race engineering one which has 240mm. That is no problem. both fit on the flywheel.
However you do need to take into account that a clutch for a 5 speed wont fit a 6 speed. So if you have a 5 speed now, you must get a 5 speed clutch plate.
Also be reminded that they have SAC clutches. Fitting those is pretty different from fitting a normal clutch.
Not actually the case for late model (March 03+?) cars. Late model 5-speeds have the 22 spline input shafts like the 6-speeds.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:33 PM   #5
Davew
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
TerraPhantm is correct on the later model 5 speed having 22 spline, I have both a late model 6 speed and late model 5 speed in the garage, both 22 spline.

Also, the SAC is part of the pressure plate, and not the clutch disc.

Have you considered aftermarket flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate options? There are a few cost effective kits on the market these days.
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
GuidoK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post

Also, the SAC is part of the pressure plate, and not the clutch disc.
I didnt say that because I know that.
All I said is that fitting a self adjusting clutch requires different tools than a conventional clutch.
E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Old 07-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
breyton E46

Hello thanks for the reply's

The reason i ask this is bequase i am having a problem with my car.
And have been searching far far to long to find the problem.
The car has also been to more then one bmw mechanic and other places.
Many say dmf or clutch but i think this is not possible anymore beqause thes have been changed about 4 times now.

Now I was wondering i anyone has had any problems with such a clutchswap
And perticularly problems with vibrations....
And kind of was hoping it to be something clutch related.

I have done this swap in my previous e46 and there it was with al original parts an never had a problem with it.

Now with my current e46 325ci i changed the clutch and flywheel to 330i/ci...
Why did i change it, whell when i bought the car it was having a sticky througoutbearing wich caused this popping feel in the clutch and not beeing able to dose the clutchpedal. And clutch judder. Al This was due to the car standing a long time before i bought it from the 71 year old previous owner...with 49000km

First set i installed (clutch and flywheel) was from sachs this was completly undrivable...Vibration that whas this bad that i tought the flywheel had come loose..I recieved a new flywheel under waranty (also sachs) but this one was just as bad. i then installed the luk flywheel and new sachs clutch (sachs on the box but Luk inside) wich seems to be a lot better but now i am having a vibration- humming that you can feel in the clutch pedal and is worst around 3000-4500rpm also the schifter vibrates. And you can feel a vibration in the steering wheel. Vanos also makes alot of noise at this rpm. The car also ha s a shake at idle when the hood is open you can see it wobble.
Engine it slef seems to be running ok without misfires or anything else

Apart from clutches and flywheel i have changed many other parts beqause of this vibration but without any progress.

Afolowing tests have been done
Read codes no pending codes or codes in shadow memory with each mechanic and oem diag tool
Smoke test for vacum leaks. nothing found
Misfire test on original bmw diagnosis tool. No misfires
Compression test, 13 bar on al cylinders, like a brand new engine

Spark plugs ngk
Ignition coils
Vanos seals
Valve cover gaskets
Chain tensioner
Maff
All intake gaskets and rubber hoses..
Checked the ccv, thing is like brand new
Disa valve
Lambda sensors

Now, you get that i am getting kind of desperate about this and it is super anoying beqause this is my daily driver. I used to love driving this e46 like my previous one, now i am starting to hate it.

So what to do with this

Last edited by breyton E46; 07-30-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
GuidoK

you still havent solved that issue?
This problem is a year old or so?
You have changed the front fibration damper I believe? (and engine mounts etc)
You'd start to think that something is unbalanced in the bottom end...that would be bad.

If you want to change clutch and dmf (again....), valeo do a single mass flywheel/clutch packeage (no lightweight smf, more for oem feel)

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-30-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #9
breyton E46

Quote:
you still havent solved that issue?
This problem is a year old or so?
You have changed the front fibration damper I believe? (and engine mounts etc)
You'd start to think that something is unbalanced in the bottom end...that would be bad.

If you want to change clutch and dmf (again....), valeo do a single mass flywheel/clutch packeage (no lightweight smf, more for oem feel)
Yes indeed thats about how long this has been going on

And like you say front vibration damper and bolt and engine mounts (forgot about these) have also been changed with al brand new oem parts

Thing is that i dont want to spend no more money on this thing withou solving the problem. I need some guiding to other possible factors that can cause this or have been the source of this problem.
I can not believe that after having changed 4flywheels and clutches now this is still comming from these parts.

If its the engine it self it woud not be the biggest problem i have an very good b30 in my garage.

Strange thing is it has pretty good gas milage 9-10L 100/km and the car has never let me down always starts and runs good exept for the vibration
Old 07-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #10
GuidoK

after 4 clutches/flywheels you'd think it wouldnt be that.

I think if you want to investigate what's going on, you have to start measuring, to see if something is bent in any way.
So that means putting micrometer dials on the gearbox input shaft, on the output flange of the crankshaft or on the flywheel etc.
And if you dont find anything, open up the engine, measuring if the crankshaft is still inline etc, not damaged...

Why not try the b30.
IT's easier to swap an engine once than to swap the flywheel 4 times.
But you need the ecu and ews or some tuning/ews aligning.

Have a really good mechanic take a look at it. This is something that cant be solved from behind a monitor

driving around with vibrations all day long isnt beneficial for a car either.

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-30-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:52 AM   #11
breyton E46

Quote:
after 4 clutches/flywheels you'd think it wouldnt be that.

I think if you want to investigate what's going on, you have to start measuring, to see if something is bent in any way.
So that means putting micrometer dials on the gearbox input shaft, on the output flange of the crankshaft or on the flywheel etc.
And if you dont find anything, open up the engine, measuring if the crankshaft is still inline etc, not damaged...

Why not try the b30.
IT's easier to swap an engine once than to swap the flywheel 4 times.
But you need the ecu and ews or some tuning/ews aligning.

Have a really good mechanic take a look at it. This is something that cant be solved from behind a monitor

driving around with vibrations all day long isnt beneficial for a car either.
Wel i am lucky that i dont drive it that much but it is realy anoying.
You cant measure anything on the input shaft of the gearbox they al have some play. I have never seen one bent before. And the gearbox has not been dropped or anything. Same for the flywheel, they also have play. Not much to measure there.

Only thing you woud be able to measure is the rear of the crank. However i cant imagine a crank going bent from normal driving.
I have also been thinking that there is something wrong with the crank or an bent con rod but then i woud not the get same compression on all 6 cilinders
And if ther woud be a problem with the crank i woud have seen something in the oil after als this time

And for good mechanics i have been to so many mechanics an none of them are able to find this.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #12
M Shandy

My Ride: 02 325i base
Have you sliver this issue yet? I just got a fidanza light weight flywheel and it pairs with a 330i or 325xi clutch kit in my 01 325i so i ordered a new friction surclface and a stage one kit for it along with all the fixins. pivot pin, guide sleeve, new clutch fork, the lil wire spring forthe pin, rear main seal, input shaft seal, new garagistic transmission mounts, center support bearing and guibo. Also all the fluids are going to get a flush and I got a new magnaflow m3 2.5 in section one and x pipe "I already have the magnaflow rear section installed so this will leave onlt the headers to be completed but one project at a time
M Shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #13
Davconelectric

My Ride: Mainly cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shandy View Post
Have you sliver this issue yet? I just got a fidanza light weight flywheel and it pairs with a 330i or 325xi clutch kit in my 01 325i so i ordered a new friction surclface and a stage one kit for it along with all the fixins. pivot pin, guide sleeve, new clutch fork, the lil wire spring forthe pin, rear main seal, input shaft seal, new garagistic transmission mounts, center support bearing and guibo. Also all the fluids are going to get a flush and I got a new magnaflow m3 2.5 in section one and x pipe "I already have the magnaflow rear section installed so this will leave onlt the headers to be completed but one project at a time
Cool
Davconelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #14
breyton E46

The problem hast not been solved yet. I have not had the time to take a look at it myself. And have not driven it much in the last month. However i drove the car yesterday evening on a longer trip to get some parts for a car that i am restoring. Stil does the same as a month ago only getting some problems with schifting when revving the car higher it gets harder to shift due to the vibration also in low revs i get a knock when changing gears.

Gues i will be ordering an other flywheel and clutch set and instal it...

Also was tinking of buying the uuc set with m5 clutch, shame that it is so expensive to import it.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #15
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
try with a new driveshaft
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:24 AM   #16
breyton E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
try with a new driveshaft
It is not the drive shaft. Car also vibrates when it it is standing and you rev the engine

I just removed the gearbox and everything is brand new then i checked the part nr of the luk flywheel
That was installed and the nr is 415 0122 11 instead of 415 0122 10 i cant even find this nr in the luk part catalog this is realy strange...
Old 09-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #17
breyton E46

So yesterday i installed a oem bmw luk clutch and now the vibration in the clutch pedal and shifter is 95% gone... I lept the luk flywheel that was installed. So i gues i will never be buying anything from Sachs anymore.

I also checked the timing of the engine and it was 100% ok

Then i test drove the car without the housing of the interior filter and noticed that the vanos is really loud when the engine gets around 3500-4000rpm.

The vanos seals have been replaced one year ago. so i opend everything up and had a look at everything. And al looks like I installed it. The vanos pistons stil have resistance in the housing of the vanos.

So what else can cause this bastard of a car to make so much vanos noise????