E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #41
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
Literally NO

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #42
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Prestone 'any engine' yellow coolant is fine. High quality with five year 150,000 mile lifetime and no phosphates. Did the research and it's all good.
I test mine on a regular basis for freezing point and pH. Perfect so far after two years.
I say that because when I bought my Bmw it had green coolant and it was eating the engine metal around the thermostats gasket that was require to use epoxy in order for the new gasket fit and stop the leak.

No leak what so ever... it has been 2 years... I think...

I use Bmw blue coolant only. Cheap anyways. ) $20

Sent from my ZTE-X500
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #43
VG1134
Old City Bimmer

My Ride: Classifieds
Don't like color- sell it and buy another.
VG1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #44
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Prestone 'any engine' yellow coolant is fine. High quality with five year 150,000 mile lifetime and no phosphates. Did the research and it's all good.
I test mine on a regular basis for freezing point and pH. Perfect so far after two years.
Why use anything but the BMW reccomended coolant?
You can research all you want, but why risk using the wrong stuff when the regular coolant is not much more expensive, and you KNOW it's the right stuff? And in the end you may save what, $20?
This is very bad advice, and not worth the risk. And then you have to waste more time and money to test it? Just use BMW Blue, and change it once a year.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #45
1hot325

My Ride: Bmw 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorceb325i View Post
I just got my first bmw, which is an 04 325i and I'm loving every second of it. My only minor concern is the color, which as of now is a metallic steel blue (picture attached). I'd like to paint the car either grey, silver, or navy blue ( I really like the interlagos blue), all of which I attached pictures. Which of these options would be easiest, what do I need to do, and how much would I be looking at shelling out. I'd like the finished car too look as stock as possible, like it had actually been produced in that color. ANY HELP is greatly appreciatedhttp://s1.E46Fanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/thinking.gif

THE TOP PIC is what my e46 looks like now- the newt 3 are my color options.
Attachment 456788

Attachment 456791

Attachment 456790

Attachment 456789
The only reason I bought my car in Japan Electric Red was because it was in excellent conditions inside outside and under hood but I really wanted it in alpine white. It is expensive to do that job right and it almost never comes out like from the dealer. you might get the color you want but not the finish. So I figured when I can afford another one I'll give this one to my wife. But did a few mods and I think my wife will be waiting a while now that I'm Liking it more and more each day did rear roof wing ,trunk, angel eyes, brakes, subwoofer, and tint i likes what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1340282790.374815.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	457248   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1340282921.192718.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	457249  
1hot325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #46
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Why use anything but the BMW reccomended coolant?
You can research all you want, but why risk using the wrong stuff when the regular coolant is not much more expensive, and you KNOW it's the right stuff? And in the end you may save what, $20?
This is very bad advice, and not worth the risk. And then you have to waste more time and money to test it? Just use BMW Blue, and change it once a year.
Because I absolutely know that Prestone is top quality and completely satisfactory for my engine, and it's cheaper and easier to get. Not telling anyone else to avoid BMW coolant for your engine. So it's not bad advice because it's not advice at all. I just said what I do for my engine.

And by the way, all coolant should regularly be checked for freezing point and pH. Just like you pull your dipstick to make sure all is good with your oil.

Once a year coolant change is excessive. Surely you want to stay green with your blue coolant.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #47
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hot325 View Post
The only reason I bought my car in Japan Electric Red was because it was in excellent conditions inside outside and under hood but I really wanted it in alpine white. It is expensive to do that job right and it almost never comes out like from the dealer. you might get the color you want but not the finish. So I figured when I can afford another one I'll give this one to my wife. But did a few mods and I think my wife will be waiting a while now that I'm Liking it more and more each day did rear roof wing ,trunk, angel eyes, brakes, subwoofer, and tint i likes what do you think?
What do I think? Not so hot pictures of a nice car!

Totally agree; don't make color a priority when buying a used car. Condition should top the list.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #48
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Changing the color of a car is not like changing your shirt. Hate the color? Then you should have not bought it. It is not an option to change the color---it will be a big problem. First to do it right (is there any other way) you need to paint all the door jams, inside truck, and under hood and engine compartment. Otherwise, anyone looking at the car will see it as a repaint cheap job, and/or wonder about what accident damage was present before the paint job. It will greatly reduce the saleability. I would never buy a car that was two tone (different trunk or engine or door jam color. And to get it right you need an expert who will remove everything and know how to do the tight corners and uneven surfaces. Major prep work. I could not deal with the over-spray. Cost to do it as it should be --over $5000. If you get a quote for $2k or $3k, that is a junk job taking shortcuts. If you hate it so much, sell it, and buy what you like.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #49
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
Keep the paint, wax and polish it up nicely get rid of the orange on the car, side markers and signals, nice rims and maybe new bumper and the car will look great for 1/4 the price of a paint job.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #50
Tex323GripIsKey

My Ride: 2000 323i Green
Lol thread is full of lol

MAINTAIN

don't paint unless you have a friend with a shop who will only charge you for materials....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Tex323GripIsKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #51
Milz328

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown View Post
Keep the paint, wax and polish it up nicely get rid of the orange on the car, side markers and signals, nice rims and maybe new bumper and the car will look great for 1/4 the price of a paint job.
Agree with DBrow I have steel blue swapped the corners and sides to white for $30 and got LED Tails for $100 looks awesome now oh and def angel eyes.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #52
e46cleen

My Ride: 2004 325i red
dude painting ur car is not worth it all!!!! please dont do that to ur self. the best thing u could is maintain the color from fading.
e46cleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #53
e46cleen

My Ride: 2004 325i red
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
Changing the color of a car is not like changing your shirt. Hate the color? Then you should have not bought it. It is not an option to change the color---it will be a big problem. First to do it right (is there any other way) you need to paint all the door jams, inside truck, and under hood and engine compartment. Otherwise, anyone looking at the car will see it as a repaint cheap job, and/or wonder about what accident damage was present before the paint job. It will greatly reduce the saleability. I would never buy a car that was two tone (different trunk or engine or door jam color. And to get it right you need an expert who will remove everything and know how to do the tight corners and uneven surfaces. Major prep work. I could not deal with the over-spray. Cost to do it as it should be --over $5000. If you get a quote for $2k or $3k, that is a junk job taking shortcuts. If you hate it so much, sell it, and buy what you like.
YES. the shop will tell u 3k but dude its gona look like **** lol its not gonna look nothing like bmw paint unless u literally spend more than 4k at LEAST at a high quality shop thats well known. . any less and its a cheap paint job.
e46cleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #54
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
This should give you some inspiration.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=555959
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #55
Greenthumbs

My Ride: 2003 330Ci E46
Send a message via Yahoo to Greenthumbs
I bet he is...or his mom is rich...
Greenthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #56
KohbraxE46

My Ride: E46 328i
Look at the steel blue thread

Steel blue if modded nicely looks very clean.
I used to hate the color and now I love it.

And the paint will never be the same as factory, because it can't bake long enough.

Shouldn't have bought a car painted in the color you don't like.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #57
FastCHAZ

My Ride: 02 325ci
Geeeez guys, I know you read the 1st hundred people say maintenence how many times yawl going to say it lol.
I mean everyones right by saying maintenence. but id say if your car hasn't been in a collision no need for paint.
but do you guy its your car lol. throw some angel eyes on there if you dont have them.
new wheels, suspension, exauhst all that fanatic sh*t these people to on here. your colors cute anyways lol !!
it's look sick with some matte black rims & tint.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #58
vorceb23

My Ride: 04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelski View Post
I think that his parents made the right decision for him with this car.
BMW E46, low milage, history known

Yeah really it was just by far the most sensible option.....
vorceb23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325i, job, paint