E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Blessedw/e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 16
My Ride: 330Ci
Most aggressive 17" wheel setup for a coupe?

I want some new wheels and I also want to go low on some coil-overs. I want to go flush.

What is the widest wheel setup and offsets for a coupe without fender mods just some tire stretching?

Im mostly interested in 17s (for additional stance) but still considering 18's.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Blessedw/e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,223
My Ride: M54B30
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
AJP330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Utopia
Posts: 270
My Ride: 05 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
^ That's funny!
__________________
AJP330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Blessedw/e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 16
My Ride: 330Ci
Thanks for the useful insight....
__________________
Blessedw/e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
jerseyzillest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,577
My Ride: 325 CI
Anything off a e39 usually has nice offsets, around 20 offset but anything lower you'll rub a lot! I had m5 wheels on my car for a while and I rubbed like crazy!
__________________
Photobucket


^Taken with iPhone^
:rofl:
jerseyzillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
rcsummers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suburbia, NJ
Posts: 3,915
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I want to find those in 3 piece so bad, with a nice step lip.
__________________
rcsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Blessedw/e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 16
My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyzillest View Post
Anything off a e39 usually has nice offsets, around 20 offset but anything lower you'll rub a lot! I had m5 wheels on my car for a while and I rubbed like crazy!
While I hadn't thought of m5 wheels, I am still very interested in style 5's. At the same time I'd like to go wider, so I'm exploring my options.

For example, would 17x8.5 et 20 squared poke to much?
__________________
Blessedw/e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,858
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I can only help you if you tell me more.

Do you have unlimited funds, first of all?

Second, are you up-to-date on maintenance, that is, if you like the car and want to keep it on the road?

Are you planning on blessing the car with more stuff it doesn't need? If so, plan ahead for that. With a turbo making maybe 500 hps, you'll need to plan your wheel choices well.

Also, if you have heavy friends, or plan on ever carrying any weight in the trunk. You should load it up with the most you might carry for a long weekend with three heavy friends and their bags and dogs and stuff. Then choose a wheel/tire set up.

I hadn't seen the Teddy Bear wheel before. That's not really me...seems kind of baby-like to me. I just used a Dremel and a small auger and etched a T-rex on one of my wheels...then filled it in with Fern Green Metallic.

It took me maybe 8 hours all told, but the guys here really like it a lot.

Oh, and I'm not really difficult, I just seem it.
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Blessedw/e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 16
My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I can only help you if you tell me more.

Do you have unlimited funds, first of all?

Second, are you up-to-date on maintenance, that is, if you like the car and want to keep it on the road?

Are you planning on blessing the car with more stuff it doesn't need? If so, plan ahead for that. With a turbo making maybe 500 hps, you'll need to plan your wheel choices well.

Also, if you have heavy friends, or plan on ever carrying any weight in the trunk. You should load it up with the most you might carry for a long weekend with three heavy friends and their bags and dogs and stuff. Then choose a wheel/tire set up.

I hadn't seen the Teddy Bear wheel before. That's not really me...seems kind of baby-like to me. I just used a Dremel and a small auger and etched a T-rex on one of my wheels...then filled it in with Fern Green Metallic.

It took me maybe 8 hours all told, but the guys here really like it a lot.

Oh, and I'm not really difficult, I just seem it.
I am on a rather small budget. I'm am allowing for coilovers and a new wheels setup and that'll hold me over for a while. There are no turbo plans in the near future.

The car is fully up on maintenance, and I always plan ahead.

I want to carry either 4 non obese friends or 2 people and a small trunk load. Nothing ridiculous (I drive a coupe).

I'm on stock sport springs now and will add coil-overs after a set of wheels to ensure fitment.

I like staggered fitment but that always makes tires more expensive, same with going from 17 to 18.

Again I wanna go flush and low but also want to avoid rub if I can help it, without fender work.

Tell me what you got.
__________________
Blessedw/e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,667
My Ride: '00 328i
why not style 5's with spacers?
or with bigger barrels from bbs.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,223
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedw/e46 View Post
I am on a rather small budget. I'm am allowing for coilovers and a new wheels setup and that'll hold me over for a while. There are no turbo plans in the near future.

The car is fully up on maintenance, and I always plan ahead.

I want to carry either 4 non obese friends or 2 people and a small trunk load. Nothing ridiculous (I drive a coupe).

I'm on stock sport springs now and will add coil-overs after a set of wheels to ensure fitment.

I like staggered fitment but that always makes tires more expensive, same with going from 17 to 18.

Again I wanna go flush and low but also want to avoid rub if I can help it, without fender work.

Tell me what you got.
So you've done everything in my sig? I gotcha I gotcha!
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,858
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP, if you post your SAT scores, Mango might let you slide on one or two odd bushings' replacement, but otherwise, he will not let you rest until you've done the entire cooling system, fp, ccv, vcg, engine cooling hoses, every gasket, o-ring, and grommet. Plugs, every fluid, entire suspension system, etc.

Honestly, the best way to afford the car and love it is not do stuff that doesn't get you anywhere. Larger wheels weigh more unless you get real expensive ones. This will slow you down and cost you mpgs.

Wider tires are more expensive too, of course. If you don't get the right wheel, you'll be pissed...and the wrong wheels seem to happen here an awful lot.

Don't expect all the answers in your one thread here...you need to study...search.

But, there probably are things you don't know about yet that you'll be wanting to do to keep your car running reliably. I only have 233K miles on mine, so not up there in the miles yet like some...but I have a feeling I'm ahead of you in work done. If you read my threads, you'll see what kind of work you will be doing. Don't know when...just that you'll be doing it.

I sure hope you diy too, otherwise, expect this to be a very expensive car to own. Just saying!
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Blessedw/e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 16
My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
OP, if you post your SAT scores, Mango might let you slide on one or two odd bushings' replacement, but otherwise, he will not let you rest until you've done the entire cooling system, fp, ccv, vcg, engine cooling hoses, every gasket, o-ring, and grommet. Plugs, every fluid, entire suspension system, etc.

Honestly, the best way to afford the car and love it is not do stuff that doesn't get you anywhere. Larger wheels weigh more unless you get real expensive ones. This will slow you down and cost you mpgs.

Wider tires are more expensive too, of course. If you don't get the right wheel, you'll be pissed...and the wrong wheels seem to happen here an awful lot.

Don't expect all the answers in your one thread here...you need to study...search.

But, there probably are things you don't know about yet that you'll be wanting to do to keep your car running reliably. I only have 233K miles on mine, so not up there in the miles yet like some...but I have a feeling I'm ahead of you in work done. If you read my threads, you'll see what kind of work you will be doing. Don't know when...just that you'll be doing it.

I sure hope you diy too, otherwise, expect this to be a very expensive car to own. Just saying!
I appreciate the concerns and advice.

I am not sure how the thread has been redirected to car maintenance from wheel size and offsets though.
__________________
Blessedw/e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Blessedw/e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 16
My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
why not style 5's with spacers?
or with bigger barrels from bbs.
I thought spacers wouldn't be necessary for style 5's on an e46. Isn't that too low of an offset?

I am not quite in the market yet to build my own wheels.
__________________
Blessedw/e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,223
My Ride: M54B30
So far, all 8 of your posts have been wheel-related. It's not good practice to stance your car in the first place, but doing so before maintenance is bad. And no, changing your oil and air filter does not constitute maintenance. Hardly.

Unless you're buffing your strut towers and waxing your nuts on a regular basis, you're not rollin'.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,858
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedw/e46 View Post
I appreciate the concerns and advice.

I am not sure how the thread has been redirected to car maintenance from wheel size and offsets though.
Because a few of us here have read an awful lot of posts and followed the histories of many cars and their owners. We, or at least I, was trying to be helpful in making sure you didn't spend $1,000 on wheels for looks and then end up just looking at them sitting on your car stranded in your driveway or along a deserted stretch of road, leaving you as easy prey for the roaming bands of sex hungry beagles. Not sure if you have them around you or not...but you probably do.

That's how your thread got redirected. It's just an extra added benefit of being a fanatic. There's always someone around to tell you what he or she thinks.

I often help by not answering specific questions...well I used to anyway.

Anyway, your thread was redirected because we care...sometimes!
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
Blessedw/e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 16
My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
So far, all 8 of your posts have been wheel-related. It's not good practice to stance your car in the first place, but doing so before maintenance is bad. And no, changing your oil and air filter does not constitute maintenance. Hardly.

Unless you're buffing your strut towers and waxing your nuts on a regular basis, you're not rollin'.
Pretend for a minute you believe me that the car is up on maintenance....do you have any useful wheel size advice?!?
__________________
Blessedw/e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,858
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
So far, all 8 of your posts have been wheel-related. It's not good practice to stance your car in the first place, but doing so before maintenance is bad. And no, changing your oil and air filter does not constitute maintenance. Hardly.

Your making assumptions here, Mango...that's not quite cricket!

Unless you're buffing your strut towers and waxing your nuts on a regular basis, you're not rollin'.
Damn it, I've been doing it in reverse; no wonder the results weren't quite satisfying!
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #19
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,223
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedw/e46 View Post
Pretend for a minute you believe me that the car is up on maintenance....do you have any useful wheel size advice?!?
Other than replace the entire cooling system, no.

Actually, yes.

Style 68s.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,667
My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedw/e46 View Post
I thought spacers wouldn't be necessary for style 5's on an e46. Isn't that too low of an offset?

I am not quite in the market yet to build my own wheels.
You said you wanted to go wider than style 5's.
Do you mean wider stance or actual wheel width?
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)

Last edited by peytonracer4; 06-21-2012 at 05:00 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use