E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Ok, I give up. Burning oil smell, NO oil leak. Any ideas?

I've had my car about a month now. 107K on the clock. I first noticed the burning oil smell about 2 weeks ago. I drive the car harder than the PO for sure. That may have aggravated this. I'm sure I switched oils on the car too. Currently running Mobil 1 0W30.

Symptoms:
-Burning oil smell after driving the car hard, or after driving on the highway for any decent length of time.
-Only noticeable at idle, driving dilutes it past the odor threshold immediately.
-Can smell it through the climate control and outside the car slightly.
-It's getting worse as time goes on (more frequent)

I've crawled all over the car and the entire engine bay is bone dry as far as I can see. VCG is dry, oil pan is dry, OFHG is dry, PS lines are dry, CCV system is dry. Granted I can't see *everything* with other parts in the way and that aluminum scrape guard under there. But I spent over 30 minutes under the car with a flashlight and a mechanics' mirror for the 3rd time today and I can't find any signs of leaking fluids. Anything burning enough to get pulled in through the climate control has to be a decent sized leak. I'm absolutely stumped at how I can't see this anywhere.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by fiveightandten; 06-20-2012 at 09:47 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
ChiMaster

My Ride: 01 330ci, 14 Explore
If you have 107K on the clock the VGC will be cracked.
Mine was leaking at the rear with no visible oil leaks.
ChiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMaster View Post
If you have 107K on the clock the VGC will be cracked.
Mine was leaking at the rear with no visible oil leaks.
VCG is bone dry. I inspected the back of it with a mirror and ran my hand around the back of it and around the entire perimeter to confirm.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
OFHG then
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
ChiMaster

My Ride: 01 330ci, 14 Explore
I had exactly the same symptoms as you.

Nothing was wet anywhere, no visible oil leaks, I could barely smell burning oil under the hood but I could definitely smell it through the vents.

I searched the forums here and everything pointed to the VGC. When I finally removed the VGC it was so brittle it was breaking apart in my hands.
ChiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
OFHG then
Completely dry.

I checked it out with a mirror, checked it out when I have all my cooling system components out for an overhaul last week, and checked it out with a mirror again today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMaster View Post
I had exactly the same symptoms as you.

Nothing was wet anywhere, no visible oil leaks, I could barely smell burning oil under the hood but I could definitely smell it through the vents.

I searched the forums here and everything pointed to the VGC. When I finally removed the VGC it was so brittle it was breaking apart in my hands.
...and the smell went way after replacing the VCG? I'm sure it's quite brittle, but it's definitely not leaking anywhere. Are you thinking it's venting fumes from the crank case without any visible residuals around the VCG?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
+1 on the VCG. I realize you checked all around but at 107k, it needs to be done regardless. It's only $30 or so with all the grommets. Bmaparts.com . so your manifold heat shields are dry? Do you see signs of a VCG replacement? Dripping/oozing sealant at half moons/corners? Only thing I can think of is rear main seal... but is anything hot enough back there to burn it? Maybe get your car up on jackstands and run the engine as you inspect below with a flashlight. I'm surprised your engine is bone dry. that's usually not the case with 99% of E46s (or any BMW for that matter at this age/mileage)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
+1 on the VCG. I realize you checked all around but at 107k, it needs to be done regardless. It's only $30 or so with all the grommets. Bmaparts.com . so your manifold heat shields are dry? Do you see signs of a VCG replacement? Dripping/oozing sealant at half moons/corners? Only thing I can think of is rear main seal... but is anything hot enough back there to burn it? Maybe get your car up on jackstands and run the engine as you inspect below with a flashlight. I'm surprised your engine is bone dry. that's usually not the case with 99% of E46s (or any BMW for that matter at this age/mileage)
VCG will get done regardless, when I do the plugs I guess. I don't see any signs of it ever being replaced. PO only bought the car at 81K. He was a Chinese guy here for grad school and went back to China after 3 years here. Nice guy, but he's one of those dudes that has no idea why someone would want to know what parts on a car have been replaced in the past. He took it to the dealer for everything.

Anyways. The RMS is also bone dry. But I wouldn't figure something back that far would make it into the climate control so readily. I can smell it very soon after the car comes to a stop. Seems like it has to be in the engine bay. And yes, the engine bay is remarkably clean. Every square inch of it that's readily visible is completely free of any type of fluid. Even the PS lines are clean.

I'll take pics. It sounds like you guys are calling BS on me.

It has to be something either completely buried in a place i'm not seeing, or oil vapors are venting somehow. But it really does smell like burning oil. I don't see anything dripping onto the headers or exhuast parts.

Last edited by fiveightandten; 06-20-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Mango
A full five stars, son

lol i gotcha. didnt mean to insult your intelligence. its just puzzling because 10 times out of 10 a burning oil smell at idle is the VCG. Maybe oil leaking into the spark plug wells? slightly burning?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
fiveightandten

Quote:
lol i gotcha. didnt mean to insult your intelligence. its just puzzling because 10 times out of 10 a burning oil smell at idle is the VCG. Maybe oil leaking into the spark plug wells? slightly burning?
Not insulted at all. I just want "the smell" gone.

I'll replace the VCG and see what happens. I haven't had the plugs out or anything, so i'm not sure if it's leaking into the wells. But i'm not sure how it would get hot enough in there to burn it. And the other thing is that there's no visible smoke. Every time I get some place, i'm popping the hood and sniffing and looking around for smoke. It's turning into an obsession, and it's getting embarrassing.

Whatever it is, I don't think it's leaking at idle...only at elevated RPM. And it's all burned off by the time the car stops moving for a short period of time.

Last edited by fiveightandten; 06-20-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
What you may be smelling is crankcase/blowby fumes? Kind of common on higher mileage engines anyway.

This is a very common problem on some BMW's.

I have this from time to time on my wife's E46 and my E39 M5.

I is partially due to the way the crank case vent system works and the fact that the cabin intake air pick up location.

It is hard to explain how it smells, however, once you have the smell in your head it is hard to forget. Kind of like anti freeze leak smell.

Not sure I have a solution on how eliminate the issue, just be aware and learn what it is. Also make sure all your cabin air ducts are in good shape, properly connected and your crankcase vent system is in good shape.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
What you may be smelling is crankcase/blowby fumes? Kind of common on higher mileage engines anyway.

This is a very common problem on some BMW's.

I have this from time to time on my wife's E46 and my E39 M5.

I is partially due to the way the crank case vent system works and the fact that the cabin intake air pick up location.

It is hard to explain how it smells, however, once you have the smell in your head it is hard to forget. Kind of like anti freeze leak smell.

Not sure I have a solution on how eliminate the issue, just be aware and learn what it is. Also make sure all your cabin air ducts are in good shape, properly connected and your crankcase vent system is in good shape.
Good info. Thanks for the reply.

It looks like a VCG and CCV are in my future. It won't be immediate. But i'll report back after I do one...then the other. VCG will be first. Cheaper and easier.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
RiceKrispys

My Ride: 2000 328i
I had the same problem with my 2000 328i. I replaced the plugs and the valve cover gasket (which comes with the little gaskets for the plug wells), and I still have the smell. I thought for a while that it was just old oil burning off, but recently befriended another 328i owner who told me that it could be the oil filter housing gasket. I did a little research and made a few phone calls and it proved to be a valid possibility. I haven't changed mine yet, but from what I can tell and after some of the major repairs I have already done, it should be an easy fix. I hope for your sake that it is the VCG, because of all the VCG's I've replaced on any car, it was by far the easiest on the BMW. Good luck man!
RiceKrispys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
Mango
A full five stars, son

If it was the OFHG, the leak would be obvious.

I have a method on BMW problems. I don't question any problems until everything that needs to be done is done. Then I can more effectively rule things out.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Check oil level. Maybe overfilled.
Overfilled oil will burst through the VCG even if it was sealed nicely before.
Happened to me after some incompetent mechanic changed my oil.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceKrispys View Post
I had the same problem with my 2000 328i. I replaced the plugs and the valve cover gasket (which comes with the little gaskets for the plug wells), and I still have the smell. I thought for a while that it was just old oil burning off, but recently befriended another 328i owner who told me that it could be the oil filter housing gasket. I did a little research and made a few phone calls and it proved to be a valid possibility. I haven't changed mine yet, but from what I can tell and after some of the major repairs I have already done, it should be an easy fix. I hope for your sake that it is the VCG, because of all the VCG's I've replaced on any car, it was by far the easiest on the BMW. Good luck man!
Thanks for the suggestion. But it's not the OFHG. I was able to see under there quit well when I had the cooling system pulled apart last week. The VCG is indeed a nice easy job. It's cheap as well, so i'll do that as a preventative measure and see if it does anything.
Quote:
If it was the OFHG, the leak would be obvious.

I have a method on BMW problems. I don't question any problems until everything that needs to be done is done. Then I can more effectively rule things out.
It never ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Check oil level. Maybe overfilled.
Overfilled oil will burst through the VCG even if it was sealed nicely before.
Happened to me after some incompetent mechanic changed my oil.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the oil level isn't overfilled.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #17
Mango
A full five stars, son

Don't listen to anything MercForHire says. He's known to be a troll. That "advice" he gaves you makes no sense whatsoever.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
tedfredrick

My Ride: 2001 325I
I had the same problem VCG fixed it. You might think about the Vanos at the same time
tedfredrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #19
FastCHAZ

My Ride: 02 325ci
Hmmmm.. I might be way off but check your coolant bro.
Mine smelled likie burning oil or when it was basically empty
right before my coolant light came on..just check if its low tho
Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 AM   #20
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
What an assh0le. I was trying to help from my own experience. He needs to install a cooling system for his head.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote