E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
330newB

My Ride: 330ci
New coax speakers and no sound

what up what up!
Removed all of my speakers because I want to do a complete speaker overhaul. My old speakers were sounding horrible. I ordered a pair of Infinity Kappa 62.9 co-axis speakers to install in the rear deck. I hooked em up yesterday and was unable to get any sound out of them. Can i not just install any speaker and have it work? I have the Harmon Kardon system in my 2001 330ci.

Does this have anything to do with the built in crossovers in the stock amp?
Dont know what to check. All the connections to the speakers were good and i tried fading the sound all the way to the rear and still had no sound.

Am I hooking up to the wrong signal? Should I be hooking these speakers up the the wires that run to the mid-range speaker on the rear side panel?
any advice would be appreciated!
330newB is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
330newB

So i messed with it again. I checked the speakers for continuity and they are good. Installed them again and realized that I am getting sound from the speaker. I have to turn the volume up quite a bit and then put the speaker directly to my ear to BARELY hear anything.
What do you think is causing this? Not enough amperage coming from my stock amp?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
330newB

buuuuuuuuuuump
Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
330newB

no one?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
330newB

i had a subwoofer in there before. took it out when i removed the speakers. maybe the signal wire was pulled on or something so ill check that today
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
You have something strange going on. The HK amp has two dedicated channels that feed the rear speakers. These are crossed-over to mid-bass from the amp outputs. You're looking for and tracing out the original speaker wires that route back to the amp. Review one of the many color speaker wiring diagrams you can Google or find here.

I think as there was a sub removed that it may have been an aftermarket sub. The factory HK sub is not mentioned. As an aftermarket sub amp would require an input, were the speaker wires cut or tapped and routed to it? Are there taps, loose wires or splices grounding out the channel outputs? Sounds like the amp outputs are running in protected mode?

The Kappa's are marketed as "true" 4-ohm. They factor speaker wiring as a couple ohms added to their 2-ohm rating. Okay, that means they're probably close to 3 ohm which is what the HK amp is looking for and is its exact specification. The co-ax tweeters will produce little to no sound as mid-bass frequency only is sent to them. They should play fine and loud otherwise.

Edit: Hey how did you stuff those beasts in there? They're supposed to be too large.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 06-22-2012 at 10:01 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
330newB

Yeah i was running an aftermarket mono amp to a 12" sub. i cut the wires that were for the HK subs (pre-amp) and hooked em up to a LOC and then tapped into the signal wire going to my stock amp.
how would i take the amp out of protection mode if it indeed is in that mode?
ill pull a wiring diagram and start tracing the rear speaker wires.

i really appreciate your response and i hope i can figure this out.
I removed the plastic basket that holds the stock speaker because the speaker magnet doesn't sit in that completely. im looking into making my own mounts now
Old 06-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
White_Knuckles

This is a bugger.

... I cut the wires that were for the HK subs (pre-amp) and hooked em up to a LOC"...
> That would mean you did not alter the rear deck speaker runs. Did the deck speakers continue to operate at this time?
... "and then tapped into the signal wire going to my stock amp".
> You are referring to the power-on signal correct?

I'm looking for a grounded or near open condition with speaker wiring. The amp will invoke internal protection should it detect a grounded or excessive output impedance. This prevents blowing its output stage. When the condition is corrected, like a grounded speaker wire, it automatically comes out of protection. It doesn't make sense why two channels would be down when the wiring was never affected?

Back to the speakers. Retest with the factory speakers to verify the amp channels are down. Test the Kappa's with a know good audio source. Inspect everything with the sub removal. It's always the last thing you did.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 06-24-2012 at 01:47 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
330newB

no i did not alter the rear deck wires at all. yes after i installed the sub all the speakers worked just fine.
Yup the power -on signal.

Bad thing is that i dont have the factory speakers anymore. sold em =/
Today i hooked up a speaker to the mono block amp i have for my sub. I was able to hear more sound out of it but it was not loud. the tweeter in the speaker was producing no sound and im assuming its because it was hooked up to the sub signal.
i really appreciate you helping me with this.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
White_Knuckles

No problem for the assistance. The speakers are suspicious as the second amp also produced a wimpy sound under your testing. Bass tones with punch should have been produced. It is a sub level signal but has some bass freqs the Kappa's would respond to. Are these new speakers?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
330newB

well it was indeed giving me bass. lots of it actually because i forgot to turn the bass nob down on the amp and for a second i felt like i was gonna blow the speaker oooops haha. as far as vocals go it did not go very loud.
yes the speakers are brand new.

how would i get the tweeter and the speaker to both work?

i checked the ohm reading on the speakers and they gave me about 2.5 ohms so theyre good.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #12
330newB

I have good news! I took my speakers over to my buddy's house and hooked them up to his car and they sounded amazing. Hooked them to his 4-ch amp. Now i know for sure that my speakers work. I'm thinking that the reason they do not work when i hook them up to my stock wiring for the rear deck speakers is because the stock amp just does not have the power to make them loud. Also I'm thinking that the reason why they did not work after connecting them to my mono-block amp is because it was only receiving a signal for the sub woofer. All low frequencies and none high.
I am hoping that if i cut the wires that are for the rear deck speaker (pre-amp), hook them up to an amplifier, and then finally connect my speakers to that it will work like it did in my friends car.

What do you think?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
Yes. You are on the right track.
Your stock amp should at least power them enough to be heard though.
I would focus more on your front speakers. I disconnected my rears completely.
get a 4-channel amp so you can power some component speakers up front in the future.

Sent from my Touchpad using Bimmer App

Tags
coax, no sound, rear deck, speakers