E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Lunatic

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Turbo consideration

Im new to bmw and so far im not very convinced, yea bmw makes these cars to push optimum performance but so far im getting humiliated by 4beaters! Needless to say Im not to happy. Im looking into forced induction, i want a good reliable kit, i dont know wats better turbo or supercharger, im leaning more to quick acceleration. Some people say turbo, i need experienced advice.
Thanks
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
I believe they have turbo kits for the 330. Best bet is to supercharge it. Ess, vf or AA are your best choice

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 06-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Lunatic

What is the difference between turbo and supercharger?
Why do u think there aren't any kits for e46 328's?
I dont know much about these engines....im more of a american muscle kind of guy trying to explore new things but apparently its biting me in the ass!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
What do you mean?

http://store.activeautowerke.com/act...vel-1-p34.aspx

http://store.activeautowerke.com/act...plete-p39.aspx
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
If you actually want to go fast, Technique Tuning turbo is the way to go. Superchargers on our cars are overrated. All top end TQ. Pointless.

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
M-Audio, Power Sunshades, GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS
Past:
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver on Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black on Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
j_block

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
If you actually want to go fast, Technique Tuning turbo is the way to go. Superchargers on our cars are overrated. All top end TQ. Pointless.
But the turbo kits are way too expensive. You can find a used supercharger for half the price if not less

Old 06-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Lunatic

I dont mind the money, i just want a rush as soon as i hit the gas, but my question still is what is the difference between the two?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
Even has a Turbo vs Supercharger section
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Lunatic

Thanks man! That explains a bit more than what i knew!! Never to old to learn something new! So according to that turbo is better! Since the supercharger uses the camshaft to spin that takes possible power away instead of putting it to the wheels. Am i right??
Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
j_block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Thanks man! That explains a bit more than what i knew!! Never to old to learn something new! So according to that turbo is better! Since the supercharger uses the camshaft to spin that takes possible power away instead of putting it to the wheels. Am i right??
Put it this way. Get a ESS TS2 or go turbo

Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Lunatic

Ess ts2 dosent make them for e46 328ci. What turbo do u recommend?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Quote:
I dont mind the money, i just want a rush as soon as i hit the gas, but my question still is what is the difference between the two?
There's your answer: turbo, and to a lesser extend the ESS TS2. None of the normal superchargers will give you that instant V8 like power from low RPM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_block View Post
Put it this way. Get a ESS TS2 or go turbo

Yup.

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
M-Audio, Power Sunshades, GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS
Past:
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver on Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black on Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
j_block

Quote:
Ess ts2 dosent make them for e46 328ci. What turbo do u recommend?
Its on their website. Esstuning.com

Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Lunatic

Exactly!! Thats wat i was trying to say! I just couldnt find the correct words! I guess i miss that v8 power. I was wondering dose a supercharged bmw guzzle as much gas as a v8? Or dose it have that mini monster kick and keep 6 cylinder drivability untill u floor it?
ESS TS2 is a supercharger.....not turbo....dont superchargers have alot of lag time?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
j_block

Quote:
Exactly!! Thats wat i was trying to say! I just couldnt find the correct words! I guess i miss that v8 power. I was wondering dose a supercharged bmw guzzle as much gas as a v8? Or dose it have that mini monster kick and keep 6 cylinder drivability untill u floor it?
ESS TS2 is a supercharger.....not turbo....dont superchargers have alot of lag time?
Lag time? Its not a turbo. Plus the TS2 get full boost in low rpm range. Unlike other superchargers.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
CharlzO
Modded ///Member

mileage will vary depending on how much you put your foot into it. First and foremost: Check your car. It's 12 years old. Have you checked every other part on it, to be sure that adding more power to it won't just rip your possibly-already failing subframe to shreds, and that your cooling system has been refreshed to handle it. Making your car reliable as possible while stock should be your first goal. Now, if all this stuff has already been done and you have the records to prove it, then you can go one.

Also, supercharger power is always on. Turbo's are where you hear about lag. A lot of systems nowadays minimize that to an extent, and typically can yield more output than a supercharger. Keep in mind the following: You might see 100 hp on a SC. Which puts you to where LT1s 20 years ago were, and where a lot of new mid-size cars are too. It's been said on here, that if you want a faster car, buy a faster car. These cars are excellent cars to own, but they aren't a rocket. If speed was such a factor in your driving pleasure, you should've done a lot more research before purchasing. I love my 328. It's hands down the best car I've ever owned when it comes to fit, feel, and form. Yes, it needs care, but all cars will anyway. Might I go forced induction someday? Maybe. But it will be to add a little more to mine, not to suddenly compete with everyone else in a race. The way I explained it to some kid locally who was running his mouth about his car: I don't care what you're little BOV-popping Civic hatch can do in the 1/8th or what you think those stickers add to the wheels. When I get there only a short time later, I'm still driving a nice car, you're still driving a Honda, and there's a reason your girlfriend keeps looking at mine.

All I can say, is make sure your car is up to par before doing anything to it. And do a LOT more research than "which one do I get?" on a thread. There are plenty of threads here and builds by people who have taken the time to do it. At the very least, find a reputable shop in your area, and get some answers from what they've done with previous E46s, and what they recommend. Any good shop will give you honest answers about what to expect in both directions.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
Lunatic

Whoa! Thats a reality check! Haha dam! You know ur right ChralzO! Now that i really think about it i didnt go for bmw just because of performance reputation i had heard of....i buts my ass working and the main reason i got my current car is because i decided i deserve to treat myself! I guess since im used to working on my old 351 ford i kind of miss it and without knowing i kinda wanted to make it feel the same with a bmw, which obviously one cant do! I guess ima keep the car i have stock for my nice comfortable daily driver and maybe have a cobra in the garage! Haha for the occasional fun drive.
Thanks!
But i will tune up my car like u said it is old!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #18
TitaniumSedan

My Ride: is my portfolio
Another fanatic rescued, good job boys!

TiAg, Grey/Black Interior, HK, ZSP/ZPP/ZCW, 5MT
Carbon Fiber Trim (DIY), M68 Wheels, LED AE's, Interior LED's
Smoked Depo's all around w/ stealth bulbs, Black Grill,
35% Tint, BMW Perf CF Strut Bar

My 3D Design Portfolio: briansteere.carbonmade.com

My YouTube channel - Cars and Guns
TitaniumSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
Lunatic

Nah, just awaken by reality. Haha im still gana modify my car...just not performance wise...im just gana go more cosmetic than anything else im still a fanatic. I gata admit the bodies on theses cars intrigue me....i like them. I like curves! Lines! Body shadows....i dont judge a car by the brand...but by the body! By true automotive beauty!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1340561541.103318.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	457685
Old 06-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Go to the Forced Induction section on this forum and read all the threads.
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote