E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
Mless5

My Ride: 540i6
New owner - 01 325xi

Hello,

I am a new owner of e46 that I have picked up to replace e36 that my wife is driving. I have picked up this white/tan sedan on local CL for a song, but it needs some work and I am fine with it. 117K miles on it, it drives pretty nice, no abnormal sounds from suspension, engine and transmission seem to be in good working order. It does need a lot of spit and buff so to speak. Here is what I plan to do off the bat (before more intimate inspection) before putting it on the road and I have a few questions listed below.

1. Valve cover gasket (OE), spark plugs (NGK) and VANOS seals possibly (no abnormal noises from VANOS).
2. CCV kit?
3. All filters throughout
4. Look into brakes, definitely will need front rotors - I may do all rotors and pads: I had good luck with Powerstop kits at Rockauto and they are only $180 for everything.
5. Car will need an alignment, may do tie rod ends before that and check suspension in general while there. Car drove good, but it would be pointless to do an alignment if bushes/ball joints are past due.
6. Car needs tires, but I do have a set and here is my question:

I have a set of 17x8.5 contour replicas, ET 43 I believe - will these fit without modification or would I need spacer(s)?. Have 225/45/17 & 245/40/17 set, is that ok to run on awd or should I swap 2 for a square set?

I look forward to reading DIY/common problems sections here and search in general - wealth of info here!
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 01 325xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
I do not believe that you will need a set of spacers to use those 17x8.5 wheels. I didn't look it up, but if the overall diameter of the 225/45/17 and the 245/40/17 are the same of only a couple of percent different, no problem, BUT if they are very different (and I feel for the xi, the best tire/wheel set up is square), you will have to square it up. A big plus to a square set up is that you can rotate the tires and get maximum mileage out of them and you don't have a problem if you occur a flat on the road.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
Mless5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyer View Post
I do not believe that you will need a set of spacers to use those 17x8.5 wheels. I didn't look it up, but if the overall diameter of the 225/45/17 and the 245/40/17 are the same of only a couple of percent different, no problem, BUT if they are very different (and I feel for the xi, the best tire/wheel set up is square), you will have to square it up. A big plus to a square set up is that you can rotate the tires and get maximum mileage out of them and you don't have a problem if you occur a flat on the road.

Thanks for your input.

When you mention square setup being the best option, is this in regards to handling/balance or is it purely to keep AWD systems in check?

Also, what's the story with xi as far as tire wear goes? I feel like the car needs to be aligned anyway, should I go for stock alignment spec? Does the car like to chew tires? I am new to awd BMW, please, provide some input.

As a side note, tackled VCGs that were hard as plastic - no wonder they leaked. Replaced spark plugs while there. The ones that came out were labeled NGK/BMW so they probably were original to the car (117K). All tips looked similar in terms of condition/wear - nothing abnormal. Plug wells were surprisingly dry.

Thank you.

Last edited by Mless5; 06-22-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Mless5

Got the pissy valve cover gasket done - no wonder it leaked - it was plastic hard! Changed plugs as well, NGK/BMW is what came out and they all looked to be in same shape. Put in NGKs as well. I was pleasantly surprised when I took the cover off, I expected it to be a sludge fest, but instead it looked pretty damn clean. I did clean the cover itself from the inside, there was some normal build up there. Brakes arrived from RockAuto - that will be next in the list.

Last edited by Mless5; 06-27-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
Scuzone

My Ride: 2005 325xit
Sweet!
Scuzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:02 AM   #6
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Hmm, you seem like a guy that gets needed stuff done and is not afraid of wrenchin'. Checkout the cooling system rebuild posts and add a complete refreshing to your list ahead of the CCV. The first deal is understanding a 70K system is urgently ready for a swap out. The fresh components are preventative from a classic engine damaging blow-out. This system is a major weak link with the E46. The fix is so popular the vendors offer kits with all the needed goodies. Read up as the blow-out blues can be prevented and is not bad at all to DIY.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #7
Mless5

Thanks. I have some records of cooling system work ~20K ago, but I think I will start saving $ for that just in case.
Did the brakes all around, front sway bar link, rear links should be in today - wanted to do them while springs are out, it looks much easier that way. CCV parts have been ordered as well.

Picked up in dash CD, un-scratched cubby and a panel with heated seat buttons + pig tail at the breakers yard for short $. Also got some brushed aluminum vinyl to cover gold looking trim - I think it would look much better with silver trim. Hunting for good power/heated seats and heated steering wheel now.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
Mless5

Found out that even though back wheels fit ok, front ones will need a small spacer. Could've gotten away with 5mm I think, but ordered 7mm knowing my luck.
The car is back from the body shop where they repaired some rust around rear wheel arch lip and gas tank door along with rear bumper.
Seems like I may need a rack or a pump though