E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 04:10 AM   #41
5speed30

My Ride: 2002 e46xi
+1 definitely sick lol
5speed30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #42
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
Huzzah! Asbjorn troubleshooted and said that my EGS was running a software quite different than what they normally see, so he ported the improved software over and now it's running magnificently. The gear hunting around 35-40mph on gentle inclines is completely gone and in manual mode the shifting is radically different. I will sing the praises of ESS customer support and I have no reason to doubt their products since my experience, though it ran into some bumps, was ultimately good.

I also completed the meth controller install (it loos so slick, I'll try to snap some pics and put them here) and ordered a new center console, new console ashtray thing to actually fit my nav retrofit, and new door sill clips since they are horrible pieces of trash. I also moved the V1 hardwire to under the shifter, with power coming from the phone plug. This allowed me to more easily cut the power with my switch bank instead of having to remove the a-pillar again to run a new wire. It also located the meth trigger right next to it. I picked up a bunch of plasti dip for refinishing the cupholders and coin tray.

ETA: Moar pics!

This place feels right for the meth controller.

These were a pain to run, but they go all the way into the trunk. I plan to mount the pump/tank where the CD changer goes. Open flap, insert meth.

Windshield gasket should be added to the jfoj list, just sayin. It's overlooked by so many.

Also, secondary rubber has made an appearance on all four corners. I plan to get a Win8 tablet w/ digitizer stylus this winter for digitizing all my notes (I spend hours rearranging them, and have to budget for erasers as-is) so I can't decide between rocking the style 45's for who knows how long, or throwing dedicated snows on the 45's and buying new rims come spring.

Last edited by deadwood83; 10-02-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: moar content. always content.
deadwood83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #43
Rickna

My Ride: '01 330xi - '09 IS-F
Nice work!

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #44
deadwood83

While going to feed the horses I got an SES light today. Fuel trim O2 adaptation bound reached. My multiplicative values are +12% both banks and additive values are -.01% both banks. Ideally they should be the same values with opposite signs for multiplicative and additive. This tells me that I'm not getting enough fuel at part throttle. I think I might try what Hagee did and switch to an E39 fuel filter with swappable fuel pressure regulators. This would mean more full pressure everywhere, so idle trims would get to be more negative and partial throttle trims would be less positive. Somewhere in there is a happy medium.

Part of the problem might be the FPR connection as well. Right now it's on manifold vacuum per AA's R3 instructions (though my kit is R2), which intuitively seems wrong. In the stock system it was connected to the intake boot as opposed to the manifold:

Idle
Near-zero vac to FPR on intake tube (stock)
Maximum vac to FPR (-16psi) on manifold pressure (S/C)
Minimal fuel demand

Load
Max vac to FPR on intake tube (stock)
Max pressure (up to +10.5psi) to FPR on manifold pressure (S/C)
Maximum fuel demand

My thoughts on this would lead me to believe that the optimal place then, to attach the FPR, would be the y-pipe before the S/C. At light loads it would mimic the light load vacuum of the stock system and at heavy loads the vacuum on it would increase rather than sending pressure to it. Is my reasoning here sound? This would be a more ideal solution than simply increasing pressure to the injectors if what I suspect is true and the entire fuel pressure map is backwards.

The V1 hardwire is complete, with switch and all. Props to Mike at TheBMWPartStore.com for my console, finally a frickin A/C unit mount/ashtray that fits for the nav package, and door sill trim clips. These guys are ridiculously good and so, so speedy.

The meth pump and res are still sitting in the garage. No point really completing that install until my AFRs are worked out and stable.

ETA: I tried to type through my thoughts on how our fuel pressure is regulated, so here's some car pr0n of the garage.

1984 RR Corniche
1989 RR Silver Spur
2003 E46

Last edited by deadwood83; 10-07-2012 at 03:29 PM.
deadwood83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #45
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Yummmm, I like the toys in your garage! A Freakin' Rolls!

Care to share your street address and your vacation schedule? Nuk Nuk.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #46
Rickna

My Ride: '01 330xi - '09 IS-F
Yes, quite a nice collection you have there.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #47
deadwood83

After more thinking, I realized that the FPR only determines fuel flow back through the return line. Herp derp. So the plumbing is actually perfect. Full flow back to return at idle (big vac.) and minimum flow back to the tank at boost. With that in mind, Amazon prime will be the end of me. Bosch genuine 4.0BAR FPR and E39 fuel filter with exchangeable FPR (with 3.5BAR FPR) by Mann. All for $89 shipped? That is one hell of a bargain. 2x OE-Quality FPR + 1x OE-Quality fuel filter for what many people pay for the E39 filter/FPR alone.

Somehow I found myself looking at port/polished heads, custom sumps, crank evacuation pumps, injectors, cams, and B30 intake manifolds. I might have a little bit of a problem. It did lead me to discover that the injectors that come with the AA kit are as good as it gets for that flow rate, so kudos to AA again.

B30 intake manifold is coming. I can feel it. I just need to actually drive the car instead of just work on it.... THEN I'll work on it some more. Trans fluid/filter + actually installing the center ball joints instead of just looking at them is coming this week. I finally get a break from classes, though our 'fall break' is thursday and friday only. Hopefully the magic of Prime will let me install my fuel system stuff then as well. And I've begun on a journey of finishing someone's motor swap and electrical gremlin hunt in a boston green E34 525i. That's just.... oh man.

Also whole the Rollers are incredibly fun to look at and drive, they are nightmares to work on. 6.75L V8s in both of them with GM Hydramatic 3-speed transmissions. The vert is one of about 3200 built with a kerb weight of somewhere around 5100lbs dry. The Silver Spur is one of about 6200 produced. Power production on both is similar to a ZHP at 177kW. Ofc the E46 is one of who knows how many million.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #48
deadwood83

Well, my Michelin PS+ A/S were dry rotting and chunking off, so my friend let me use his 335 M-Sport rims while I order new rubber since he was storing them at my place anyway.

I think it looks pretty nice. No rub, nice fitment, perfectly flush. Unfortunately it's snowing here as I type this, and tires are everything. RE050As in the winter, staggered on an AWD setup. Winter mode, engage!

Still haven't figured out the AFRs perfectly. Powerflex bushings are in and they feel amazing. Sadly one control arm ball joint wouldn't pop out even when pursuaded with a pitman puller and 250ftlb impact wrench, then a pickle fork on an air hammer. Then I broke the puller. Didn't budge one bit. Appointment tomorrow for my shop to have at it with a 20-ton press. Still need to do transmission fluid and xfer case fluid. It's hard to correlate the car's level of wear with miles now since so much of it is new.

Also, it's looking like I'll get to have a go at Laguna Seca in my creation come summer 2013.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #49
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
^^ wow... those rims REALLY do a LOT for the car!
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #50
deadwood83

Rims off tomorrow, finally maybe the new fuel pressure regulator, then maybe I'll push it off a cliff and set it on fire.

AFRs are lean down low, and a tad rich up high. It seems like I leak test the entire system once a week and find nothing.

Here's more wheel prawn. I'm this close to ordering a set of Sportline 16s, but they are just so expensive, and I've already preordered a Samsung 700T which set me back a pretty $1200. If they go on sale for black friday/cyber monday there might be problems.

9 hours in a little glass room will cause me to lose my marbles.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #51
iRide113

My Ride: 2004 325i
Where haz u gone?!
iRide113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #52
Justinz

My Ride: 03 AW 325xi
Wow, no updates since nov. I like the way your setup.
Justinz is online now   Reply With Quote