E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
maresra

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325iT
Arrow Help! Dealer Replaced Airbag Today - Now Airbag Warning Light Is On

Everything finally came together. Airbag replacement parts arrived. Dealer had an opening in today's schedule. Total down time: 2 hours.

Now the bad news: the airbag warning light is on. Before today the airbag warning light was never on continuously. The Dealer states it has nothing to do with the work they did. Replacing the airbag would not trigger a fault code. A number of other issues could be responsible and if I authorize to pay the diagnostic service fee they can isolate the fault. But the next opening to do that is March 6th.

I have a hard time believing this is a coincidence. Am I being unrealistic that they could not have reset the code right then and there after they did the work and saw the light on (and without asking for money from me because they will get reimbursed for the other costs by BMW North America).

I called BMW USA Customer Service and they state they have not encountered an issue like this with customers that had the airbag replaced or from the dealer network. What do y'all think? Am I wrong? Do I pay the diag fee?

Last edited by maresra; 01-22-2015 at 08:36 PM.
maresra is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
Kire118

My Ride: :/
how long after you got your car back from the dealer when the airbag light came on?
Kire118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
RichG

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330xi
when you say it was never on continuosly was it on intermittenly before bringing the car in?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Seems to me that without pulling codes to see what makes the light be on, there is no way they can say that what they did is not the problem. Your car has a very strong diagnostic routine that the dealer can plug into, and since they worked on the section of the car that is related to the light that is on, the only reasonable thing to do is plug the diagnostics. They cannot say, without diagnostics, whether they did work that is related to the light or not. They can SAY anything they want, but without the diagnostics anything they say is just a guess.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
jdstrickland

Replacing the airbag absolutely would turn the light on if the key was turned on while the airbag was removed.

Do not mention that the light flickered, or whatever, before they got the car. Your position is that the light was not on before, but it is on now. Maybe the airbag is faulty, maybe any of a thousand different things. But the light was not on before, and it is on now. You need them to pull a diagnostic report that takes literally seconds to get, maybe minutes. But if it takes minutes then the tech is dragging his feet, and it takes no more than about 2 minutes even if he is slow.

The problem might not be the shop, but without the report there is no way to say with any certainty. If it is the shop, they should cure it. If it is the airbag they installed, they should cure it. If there is an operating parameter that is not right, then it is cured with the same diagnostic equipment, and they should cure it as part of the airbag service.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Yes, this can be a just a coincidence, but neither you, nor the dealer would know for sure without reading the code(s). Now it's just anyone's guess....
If the light was OFF when you left the car at the dealer, then it was ON after replacing the passenger airbag, they should have read the codes to make sure they are not related to the new airbag. Now they just let you drive home with unknown SRS fault... very professional.

Anyway you can take your car to an independent shop to read the SRS codes, or just find someone in your area who has the necessary equipment. I think most people on this forum has it by now. You should probably get one yourself. Knowing what's the issue will solve your dilemma if you want to go back to the dealer or not.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:11 AM   #7
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
I'm surprised we haven't heard more stories like this one when it comes to the airbag recall. I wouldn't trust a dealer if my car depended on it because they will look for any angle to recoup the costs of the recall.

2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:07 AM   #8
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
get a BMW Scanner, find out what the code is. If it's related to the passenger front airbag, take it back.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I had a similar issue with my airbag recall. I got lucky though and they did the diagnostic for me as a courtesy. In my situation it turned out to be the seat pressure sensor that is inside your seat that was faulty, or at least this is what they told me. To replace it would of been north of $700! Fracking dealers, anyway I just told them to clear the light which they did but now it is intermittent and only comes on when someone is sitting in my passenger seat. I searched online and there actually is a work around for this, almost like a bypass to keep the airbag "always on" and it clears the light.

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
I'm surprised we haven't heard more stories like this one when it comes to the airbag recall. I wouldn't trust a dealer if my car depended on it because they will look for any angle to recoup the costs of the recall.
The dealer is paid by the factory to do the recall. They have no cost to recoup. Indeed, if they do it right, then make out on the work.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #11
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
The dealer is paid by the factory to do the recall. They have no cost to recoup. Indeed, if they do it right, then make out on the work.
this.

But, really:
1. OP brings car in for airbag recall, light is not on.
2. Dealer replaces airbag.
3. OP picks up car, airbag light is on.

I'm not sure how the dealer is not at least accepting paying for a diagnostic for you. Talk to the service manager, and if that doesn't work, the sales manager. They should at least diagnose it for you. My guess is that it just needs to be reset.

OP, tell them you'd like them to diagnose the issue, and if unrelated to the replaced airbag, you'll pay for it. If not, then you expect them to pay for it as warranty on the work they just performed.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #12
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i
Sounds fishy to me. It could be just a coincidence but I think it isn't. I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feeling...so whatever that's worth.

I can easily see one of the techs forgetting to disconnect the battery resulting in an ABS fault light.

OP hasn't clarified if the light was on immediately as he picked up the car or if it came on later. Crucial information.

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny/differential service, fuel pump, filter, and relay. Emergency repairs...PS pump, turn signal stalk, CPS, Ignition Coil #2 cyl, electric aux fan.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
invisible man

My Ride: invisible car
"never on continuously"

It shouldn't have been on at all. You obviously had a problem before you went in. Just because the dealer worked on it at some point during this problem doesn't mean they're responsible for the problem.

Why did you replace the airbag in the first place?
invisible man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #14
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible man View Post
"never on continuously"

It shouldn't have been on at all. You obviously had a problem before you went in. Just because the dealer worked on it at some point during this problem doesn't mean they're responsible for the problem.

http://bit.ly/12nY894
Old 01-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #15
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by maresra View Post

Now the bad news: the airbag warning light is on. Before today the airbag warning light was never on continuously.
You need to explain this statement!!

My cars have never had the airbag warning light on continuously, matter of fact they have never had an airbag light!

So explain/qualify your statement.

Less than an hour of the dealers time, figure it out yourself - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S7ONHH4?psc=1

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 01-23-2015 at 02:51 PM.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #16
maresra

The light was on in the service bay drive at the dealership. Right as the Porter delivered the car to me. The service advisor made no mention of it before telling me the car was ready.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #17
maresra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichG View Post
when you say it was never on continuosly was it on intermittenly before bringing the car in?
Light only came on when you turned ignition on as all the lights flash then go out. So no other indication that I had an airbag system issue.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #18
maresra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyVee View Post
Sounds fishy to me. It could be just a coincidence but I think it isn't. I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feeling...so whatever that's worth.

I can easily see one of the techs forgetting to disconnect the battery resulting in an ABS fault light.

OP hasn't clarified if the light was on immediately as he picked up the car or if it came on later. Crucial information.
The Porter drove the car into the service lane and left the engine running while he pulled that paper floor mat and plastic seat cover off; then held the door open for me. As soon as I jumped in the car, I saw the airbag warning light on. I asked the guys that were standing there and they had no knowledge. I saw the service advisor inside, in their area and went to ask him why the light was on.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #19
maresra

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible man View Post
"never on continuously"

I meant to say that the airbag warning light is not on normally during operation of the vehicle. I took the car in for the Takata airbag recall. Not because I was having issues with the SRS System or any other problem. Only to have the airbag replaced under the recall notification.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #20
maresra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
You need to explain this statement!!

My cars have never had the airbag warning light on continuously, matter of fact they have never had an airbag light!

So explain/qualify your statement.

Less than an hour of the dealers time, figure it out yourself - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S7ONHH4?psc=1
Correct, only meant to imply that the airbag and other warning lights are on when I start the vehicle but then they go out after a second or two. Which is what I know as being normal for the entire 11+ years I have owned this vehicle. This airbag warning light remaining on is what I believe to not be normal. I hope I explained that better.

Tags
airbag replacement, airbag warning light, takata