E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #1
B694515

My Ride: 325i
How much of a difference does it make with this sway bar setting?

I put a pair of UUC Swaybarbarians on last December and they are matched to a KONI STR.T and ZHP spring setup. The front adjustable links have been backordered since December so I have the stock endlinks holding that bar on the "full soft" setting since they can't fit the "full hard" setting.

How much performance am I missing as a result of being "full soft" with this setup?
B694515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
MJC12

My Ride: 2001 330i Mtech1
Full hard would give you +7hp at least
Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
B694515

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC12 View Post
Full hard would give you +7hp at least
Time for someone to grow up.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:52 PM   #4
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by B694515 View Post
Time for someone to grow up.
You're right. Make an adjustment. Try it for a while. Tell us what you think. You're a big boy. Act like one.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
B694515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
You're right. Make an adjustment. Try it for a while. Tell us what you think. You're a big boy. Act like one.
Are you stupid? I said the part was backordered. Don't you think I would have figured it out myself if I had the part?

It's a very simple question for someone who has experience with adjustable links. If you don't, then you be a big boy and don't respond. Comprende?
Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Are you stupid? I said the part was backordered. Don't you think I would have figured it out myself if I had the part?

It's a very simple question for someone who has experience with adjustable links. If you don't, then you be a big boy and don't respond. Comprende?
My car has an adjustable front swaybar and I can engage either setting with the stock end links. Is there some stupid interference problem with your car/swaybars? You know a swaybar pivots in the bushings, right? Unless there is some stupid interference issue, you should not need adjustable end links.

I've used adjustable swaybars in my road cars and race cars and never needed adjustable end links to adjust the stiffness. The main reason for adjustable end links is to eliminate pre-loading the bar big boy.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #7
MJC12

My Ride: 2001 330i Mtech1
I'd have given you a better response if I knew how to answer your question but I don't. You're asking how much performance you'll get by moving to a stiffer setting on your swaybar... the answer is none. You'll just get a stiffer swaybar. Will this stiffer setting make your car drive better? No idea. No one can answer that question for you because we don't know how your car drives currently or how the rest of your suspension is set up, you'll just have to wait until you get the part and try it out.

I'd find some article on swaybars and how they influence handling but I figure you already know.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
Just another beautiful day on e46fanatics
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap

I run 6010 overhead in a t-shirt!

Jason325xi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #9
cretinx

My Ride: various
Full soft is what you want unless you've got your alignment or spring rates set for crazy loose in the back. Full stiff is going to cause a LOT of understeer.
cretinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Old 05-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
^

I thought the stiffer you went in the back with the sways the more likely the car would fishtail unless there was a camber adjustment to compensate. Do I have this wrong?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
miatard

My Ride: Chicken
Quote:
I put a pair of UUC Swaybarbarians on last December and they are matched to a KONI STR.T and ZHP spring setup. The front adjustable links have been backordered since December so I have the stock endlinks holding that bar on the "full soft" setting since they can't fit the "full hard" setting.

How much performance am I missing as a result of being "full soft" with this setup?
Tremendous performance loss, especially on a 325.

Let us know when you get the links, should be good for AT LEAST 20 seconds around VIR full course.
miatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #13
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
I emptied out my washer fluid reservoir, how much faster can I go around the Nurburgring?

Halp plz 1999 318i here
Old 05-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
B694515

I had a feeling there would be some type of handling loss because quite honestly the car is not as stiff as I would like.

Bavauto lied to me and said you can use the old links. You can use them but only on the soft setting.

UUC is the worst company to deal with because they don't even know when their own products will become available. I have the Swaybarbarians and the adjustable rear links but am only missing the front adjustable links and I feel like they are the "weakest link" in this setup.

I guess what I meant to say when I said performance was "how will my handling improve."
Old 05-11-2017, 02:13 AM   #15
asianisafish

My Ride: 330ci
asianisafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:54 AM   #16
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
I had a feeling there would be some type of handling loss because quite honestly the car is not as stiff as I would like.

Bavauto lied to me and said you can use the old links. You can use them but only on the soft setting.

UUC is the worst company to deal with because they don't even know when their own products will become available. I have the Swaybarbarians and the adjustable rear links but am only missing the front adjustable links and I feel like they are the "weakest link" in this setup.

I guess what I meant to say when I said performance was "how will my handling improve."
i had the UUC bars in the past. as for setting up the front bar stiffer, i personally like it. but that was how I liked my car to handle. you may not like it. but does it make a difference using the other holes to adjust it's setting, yes.

as for the adjustable front end link and not being able to install without them?? i agree with Geo, not sure why you can't. the adjustable fronts aren't needed. in fact for how they are used, you only need one not a matching pair. unlike the rears where the adjustables are used to adjust for clearance.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #17
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianisafish View Post
Do NOT listen to this dumbass on Youtube. He does NOT know what he is talking about. I made it less than 30 seconds and turned it off. [edit] Actually I went back to listen to pretty much the whole thing just to see what else he gets wrong. Be careful of the sources you use to reference and learn about a topic. Just because someone knows how to post a video to Youtube, it doesn't make them an expert or even knowledgeable on a subject.

Swaybars do NOT reduce load transfer (or weight transfer if that works for you). In fact is speeds up the load transfer.

Load transfer is a function of lateral acceleration, weight, center of gravity (height) and track width. The ONLY thing a sway bar affects to any degree at all, is perhaps CG by reducing body roll, but that is negligible in the equation.

A swaybar is really a spring (torsion bar) that only comes into play when the suspension on one side of the car is doing something different from the suspension on the other side of the car. It does affect understeer/oversteer, generally as described in the video, but that's about the only thing that moron gets right. The rest is monkeyshines.

The advantage of reducing body roll is to keep the car out of bad parts of the suspension geometry, most specifically, camber curves.

For those who really want to learn about suspension and what is happening, I highly recommend read one of several books on the subject. My bible on the matter is "Tune to Win" by Carroll Smith. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Geo31; 05-11-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #18
Simmsled

My Ride: 04 330i, 03 325xi
I have the TMS bars on my ZHP with stock springs and Koni FSD... No real need for an adjustable end link unless you go lower.
Why are you not able insert the end link into anything but full soft?
Old 05-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #19
miatard

My Ride: Chicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmsled View Post
I have the TMS bars on my ZHP with stock springs and Koni FSD... No real need for an adjustable end link unless you go lower.
Why are you not able insert the end link into anything but full soft?
The ZHP's bars are already stiffer, so how do you like the TMS bars?
miatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #20
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatard View Post
The ZHP's bars are already stiffer, so how do you like the TMS bars?
stiffer swaybars compared to what? actually they're even smaller than other early ZSP bars.