E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
petermav

Change centre console + Aux or usb

Hi all. There are many things online to install aux and Can I ask what you got and if it works well? Or usb maybe? Also I want to change my centre console to have more space like cup holders or somewhere to put my phone. Any recommendations or links?
petermav is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
891CARLOS

My Ride: 2003 E46 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermav View Post
Hi all. There are many things online to install aux and Can I ask what you got and if it works well? Or usb maybe? Also I want to change my centre console to have more space like cup holders or somewhere to put my phone. Any recommendations or links?
It will help if you update your car info. but if you are stock and you have the "mode" button on the radio;
-search for the oe aux cable link: http://www.ecstuning.com/ES194845/?g...FQaQaQod4HYA4Q

or do it yourself: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=676527

Both pretty cheap and works great! (check if your stock radio is compatible first). If you have the $$$ go with an Eonon or Avin. You can search for these on your own. (both devices are Bluetooth, aux and USB ready).

As for the the center console, again, don't know what model you have but pretty much all USA models have the cup holder console. Your phone can be mounted using one of those a/c vent holders.

Paddle Shift Retrofit
Eonon GM5150/reverse camera
PKE + Keyless Push button start DIY coming soon
891CARLOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
I ended up swapping out my cup holders for the large euro tray. I bought two cup holders from ultimatecupholder.com and I really enjoy them. The only drawback is they will end up ever so slightly touching your first aid box if you have one installed under your seat. I then ran an aux cord from my radio (eonon so it has an aux cord) next to the shifter and up into the eurotray. I rarely use this as I have an iPod hookup in the glovebox. This setup is nice because you iPod/mp3 player can be connected inside the tray while the cover is closed. So you don't have any messy wires.

Options for you in terms of getting an actual aux cable: Check to see if your radio is capable of making an easy DIY aux in. If you have the mode button you can actually get an official BMW aux adaptor. If you do not, you could simply solder (or make you own connector) to override the trunk CD changer input so that it instead takes the signal from an aux cord. Afaik you can do this on every radio (someone correct me?)

Another option: I used a GROM audio box with my oem business radio (CD player) before I got my eonon. It's a bit pricey (100-120 depending on what you get) but has bluetooth, an aux in, as well as a USB slot to set up music folders that you select by pressing the number buttons on your HU (pretty neat imo). Cool part is that its all behind the dash and that it also supports voice dial on android and iphones. I still have my old grom box if you decide to go that route. I can't speak for the DICE iPod kits as I've never used one.

Regardless of what you pick, I would recommend either routing the cable through the glovebox or the euro tray. Now the thing about both of these locations is that someone in the back of your car will have to lean forward ALOT to use the iPod (unless you have a stupid long cord all coiled up in either location, which takes up precious space). So here are two other options if you like to DIY. I did both of these myself and love em (except its a bit different but same idea)

First you can put a 3.5mm female socket in the little area in front of the coin ring. This way you can actually keep a cord in the center console to attach when you need it. However, this also means you have a cord out when you are using it. (Could make it small and then have it not be an issue). I did this with an iPhone charger as well as a switch to turn on and off my angel eyes. You can make it look pretty clean and I think several others on here have done the aux jack in this spot.

Another thing you could do, but is much more complicated in terms of plastic work is put the aux jack in the button bar where your DSC and seat heaters are. I did this but with my USB from when I had the GROM box (still use it but now its with my eonon usb out). The pictures below show that. To do this you need actually run the cord through the button bar but add a connector so you can easily take out the button bar if you need to.

Another option I thought of was using the cigarette holder in my ashtray as an aux in port! This worked out perfectly because it already is the correct size and secondly because I don't smoke. This method does require you do have the coin/ash tray latch open though so that is a drawback. Here are pictures that show both the aux in as well as the USB port I added:

Another another option you could do (which is honestly the best solution in terms of ease of installation) is cut a small hole in the top of the sun glasses holder/compartment above the coin/ashtray. The hole is not visible and you can snake the cord in through there and have a nice little drawer specifically for you iPod or mp3 player.

You could also even put the jack into your center console if you have an iPod or mp3 player that is small enough. I did this with an iPod connector, but the idea is the same with an aux jack:

So all in all, making the cord work is the easy part. The hard part is deciding what location is best suited for you needs!

Last edited by TR4G-; 03-02-2015 at 05:45 PM.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
Ny tdi

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermav View Post
If your car is a 2002 or older, get the quidzel aux input adapter. It's by far the easiest, cheapest, simplest way to get aux input in your car. I have one, and it works great.
http://quidzel.com

If your car is a 2003 or older, get this:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/ES194845/
Ny tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
gordie10

My Ride: 2003 325xi
TR4G- are you selling your GROM box? I might be interested in that..
gordie10 is offline   Reply With Quote