E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 102 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #241
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
My gas mileage has gone up since I installed a new fuel pump last month, but I don't understand why. I used to get 32-33 mpg on the freeway, and now I am consistently getting 36-37 mpg. Any thoughts?

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #242
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by e4Tsex View Post
My gas mileage has gone up since I installed a new fuel pump last month, but I don't understand why. I used to get 32-33 mpg on the freeway, and now I am consistently getting 36-37 mpg. Any thoughts?
Age old trick: Someone's sneaking gas into your tank at night to make you believe it's possible to get that kind of mileage that no BMW e46 can get.
Ooooor... You're driving all your miles downhill.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #243
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Those figures sound VERY optimistic to me.

Your mileage may have well improved due to more stable fuel pressure with a new fuel pump allowing for a better spray pattern, vaporization and fuel distribution. But again, I am doubtful you are getting the values your OBC is reporting?

Suggest you track your fuel economy the good old fashioned way by noting the amount of fuel put in the car and dividing the miles driven by the amount of fuel used.

If you have a smart phone, you can get free apps that allow you to easily log and trend your fuel mileage.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #244
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
My thoughts would be that your figures are coming from the gauge on the dash, which is nothing more than a vacuum operated (IIRC) guesstimate.
You need to do a real measurement by filling up, resetting your trip odo to zero miles, and driving. Then, top up your tank again, and divide the exact number of gallons you put in by the number of miles traveled.
Anything else, including the gauge or the instrument cluster computer, is just a guess, and not accurate.
There was a guy a few months ago making similar claims about milage, and it turned out he was just going by the gauge, and not really calculating the real number. He had several people freaking out, and a lot of others scratching their heads until I finally asked exactly how he was getting his numbers.
If you are correctly calculating your numbers, then they are extremely good, if not too good to be true.
If you are going by that silly gauge, then I can do one better. I hav seen more than 50mpg on my car for seconds at a time.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #245
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Age old trick: Someone's sneaking gas into your tank at night to make you believe it's possible to get that kind of mileage that no BMW e46 can get.
The second part of this old trick is even better. You are supposed to do this to a new car owner. After he starts bragging about his crazy high MPG's, you start removing gas each night, until he takes the car back to the dealer and says "I was getting 55mpg on this car, and now it is down to 9mpg! What the Hell is wrong?"
Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #246
Stinger9

I'll go you one better. Driving out west I've actually gone from a high elevation area to a lower one over the course of thirty or forty miles where the OBC reading was in the high forties!

And I also maintain that no e46 comes close to even getting in the high thirties on an inaccurate OBC!

I knew the second half of the gas trick. Was just leaving it out to try and show a bit of compassion.
Story first made the rounds big time back in the sixties.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #247
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
I can get mine to say 99mph.
I can't remember if it displays triple digits, but I have done it.

And it will for those moments, be accurate.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 09-05-2012 at 02:17 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #248
epistaxis2008

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
r u kiddin me???
epistaxis2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #249
epistaxis2008

Quote:

with the price of gas these days i wish someone would do that for meee!!! (in a olde tyme hick voice or those dumb redneck comedians that people actually thought were funny a few years back)... hey dmax i see u have shows listed and ur a comedian or something like that...ur not one of those redneck funny guys r u???
Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #250
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I might replace the pump for the hell of it when I get back from vacation at the end of the month. 119k on the car. Filter replaced 30k ago.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #251
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by epistaxis2008 View Post
r u kiddin me???
Thanks! That is exactly what I wanted to say, instead of the logical explanation I wrote. It sounds like that fuel pump turned his car into a Prius! No fvcking way.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #252
MJLavelle

Quote:
I'll go you one better. Driving out west I've actually gone from a high elevation area to a lower one over the course of thirty or forty miles where the OBC reading was in the high forties!

And I also maintain that no e46 comes close to even getting in the high thirties on an inaccurate OBC!

I knew the second half of the gas trick. Was just leaving it out to try and show a bit of compassion.
Story first made the rounds big time back in the sixties.
I actually heard that story in a documentary about comedians, and it was Johnny Carson telling it, so it is an old one for sure! And the 2nd half is the big payoff. You have to leave it in!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #253
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
I can get mine to say 99mph.
I can't remember if it displays triple digits, but I have done it.

And it will for those moments, be accurate.
Yes, for those 10 milliseconds that the computer is measuring it, you are getting 99mpg.
Now you have made me wonder if it will hit triple digits.....
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #254
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
And the 2nd half is the big payoff. You have to leave it in!
Now you're writing schtick for me from the land of Hee-Haw?

Was not trying to tell the joke. Other goals.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #255
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Yes, for those 10 milliseconds that the computer is measuring it, you are getting 99mpg.
Now you have made me wonder if it will hit triple digits.....

Get to the top of a tall hill.
Reset OBC
drive gingerly, and you will see mpgs skyrocket I can't remember if there were three digits and if so there shouldn't be lol.
I might go check tonight for fun

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #256
Stinger9

Next guy who posts without definitively knowing whether there are three digits in the MPG OBC display gets banned for life!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #257
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Next guy who posts without definitively knowing whether there are three digits in the MPG OBC display gets banned for life!
Huh?
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #258
MJLavelle

Quote:
Now you're writing schtick for me from the land of Hee-Haw?

Was not trying to tell the joke. Other goals.
You see this ( ) means I was kidding. So no, I was not trying to write jokes for you, but thanks for getting all agressive on me, out of the blue. Nice.
Just because I live in the south, does not mean I am from the south. I live in the 2nd largest banking center in the US, with NYC being the 1st. So, not a lot of HeHaw going on here.
You are more likely to run into an Indian or Chinese Analyst, or a New Yorker who got tired of paying $3k a month for a broom closet, so he moved here, where he could buy not just a real house, but a really large house, with land, for $2k a month. You would have to drive about 50 miles from the center of the city to find someone you could classify as "HeHaw" types, but they would still be the minority.
But thanks for the stereotype.
My wife is Latina, so I guess she looks like Sofia Vergara, and runs around in skin tight dresses yelling "Ay, Dios Mio!" all day, instead of being an SVP at Bank of America. Oh, BTW, that is what I do for a living as well, an SVP at BoA.
If we're going with stereotypes, I am going to guess you are - 80lbs overweight, you wear a track suit over a wife beater T-shirt to work, with lots of gold chains and a gold pinkie ring. And, as soon as you venture out of the State you stand around the whole time, loudly complaining to no one in particular that "the food here fuggin sucks! Its nowhere near as good as what we got back in NY, and ya know, everything is better in NY! I wouldin feed this sh!t to my fuggin dawg", as you smack your loser kid in the head.
Meanwhile, your wife, who still has gigantic '80's hair, fake nails, leather pants, 6in heels, and a leopard print shirt, only stops smacking her gum long enough to say "stop hittin him in the fuggin head like that! Yer gunna make him stoopider than he already is! Stinger Jr, get yer ass ova here, you know yer father is an aaashole when he's hungry" and then resumes applying her lipstich, and smacking on the same gum she has had in her mouth since 1979.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 09-06-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #259
Stinger9

All the teasing here by me means little.
I love the South and Southerners. And the food!
Could see living there.

And think I don't get enough NY jokes?

Hmmmm..... who's the weasel that told you about the wife beating??

Good riff tho on your part!

EDIT: and if I neglected to throw in an apology if I misjudged the impact of what I said, I apologize.
Want to continue to go back and forth with you on the tech side.

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-07-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #260
epistaxis2008

it has 3 number spots or places as we are taught in 2nd grade but it is only 2 whole number digits then a decimal... so half of u are right as well as half of u are right and the rest of u are wrong...figure that one out!

And when I reset mine in 4th or 5th on the highway goin 50-70 mphs then let it coast downhill enough (usually coming down the other side of the Tobin Bridge on rte 1 N) to keep it at that speed without using the gas at all I can keep it goin for about 2-5 miles at 60 or higher. it'll stay at 99 till I hit the gas pedal again.

yeah,.... so,... mine gets 99mpgs without driving """GINGERLY""" (in an Austin Powers/Dr. Evil voice)

even tho... i gotta find my problem somewhere tho cuz at best I get 15-17 city and 20-25 highway... ima do the filter and flush the lines soon. checking the throttle body and fuel rack soon too

Last edited by epistaxis2008; 09-06-2012 at 08:56 PM.