E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
drewtbarrett

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
Oil temp high!?

Recently my oil temp has been reading well over 210 in my m3 and it also says the out side temp is -40 degrees when is around 96 out. I'm guessing the problem is the oil temp sensor? Any ideas on what it is before I start buying stuff to do it my self? Thanks
drewtbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtbarrett View Post
Recently my oil temp has been reading well over 210 in my m3 and it also says the out side temp is -40 degrees when is around 96 out. I'm guessing the problem is the oil temp sensor? Any ideas on what it is before I start buying stuff to do it my self? Thanks
Your outside air temperature is obviously gone. I think your oil temp sensor is fine. In these warm days mine is running pretty hot too. If it's less than 90 degrees, my oil temp will be around 190 or so (and about 170 on a particularly cold day), but yesterday it was at about 220 (ambient was 100 according to the car)
Old 06-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
drewtbarrett

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
Ya I figured it out an I have a new one on the way. Apparently my fender liner was cracked on the bottom and finally got ripped out and shredded the wire to the temp sensor.
drewtbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Optimal Oil temp for S54 is 240F . Safe zone is about 255-260F and anything more then that is danger zone.

Just because 210F is in the middle of your oil temp gauge , doesnt mean its the allowable temp.

Preferred oil temp for S54 is 240F

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
TerraPhantm

Incorrect. S54 is designed to run at 210. I have never seen any s54 get to 240 under normal driving conditions. It can go to 265 safely, but that's not the optimal. It should not get that hot except on a warm day at the track.

N54 otoh is designed to run that hot.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 06-30-2012 at 05:35 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
someone link me to a m54 oil cooler .. I'm interested just for the hell of it. i would hate to have my oil temp go past optimal at any time
Old 06-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Incorrect. S54 is designed to run at 210. I have never seen any s54 get to 240 under normal driving conditions. It can go to 265 safely, but that's not the optimal. It should not get that hot except on a warm day at the track.

N54 otoh is designed to run that hot.
What are normal driving conditions ? who justifies normal ? All I know is that the perfect or the optimal oil temp for S54 is right around 240F . Anything between 190 and 220 is still fine and the car will perform just as good and anything south of 255 is no good.

If normal driving conditions is driving to work 10 miles a day then sure, your car wont go over 200-210 .But who justifies normal driving to what normal is ?

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
What are normal driving conditions ? who justifies normal ? All I know is that the perfect or the optimal oil temp for S54 is right around 240F . Anything between 190 and 220 is still fine and the car will perform just as good and anything south of 255 is no good.

If normal driving conditions is driving to work 10 miles a day then sure, your car wont go over 200-210 .But who justifies normal driving to what normal is ?
Normal circumstances being street driving. Find me a single piece of documentation that the s54 is designed to run at 240, and I'll believe it. Until then, I'll go with the temperatures they actually run. It's extremely difficult to get the car to 240, let alone keep it there. Only way I could get mine to creep that high on the street is if I do a top speed run (which is obviously not legal) or if I am driving a hill climb route and keeping the engine at 6k+ with lots of throttle. But as soon as you let off the throttle, the temperature starts falling towards 210ish pretty quickly

The only time my oil temperature has gone past 210 while driving responsibly was during days where the ambient temperature is 95F or higher. Even then, it's sitting at 215-220

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-01-2012 at 05:56 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote