E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
PancakeBimmer

My Ride: BMW 325i
MS43 Connection/Boot-mode troubleshooting thread

Perhaps we can get connection/boot-mode support going here instead of spamming the development thread. Please review the other thread for instructions, information, and latest updates and files. If asking a question please provide as much information about your setup as possible. Include what operating system is used, cable and driver, what pins are connected, and so on. Everyone is welcomed to share or ask for help.

So far I too have been unable to put my MS43 into bootmode and/or read full flash. On multiple occasions I am able to get ECU to the point where jmgarageflasher is complaining about wrong echo bytes.

Member from official jmgarageflasher forums is suggesting following procedure, which is the only way he could get ecu to work. SOURCE

Quote:
1. Start with everything turned off. USB cable unplugged from computer, obd port unplugged from the ecu or car, jmgarageflasher closed, and ecu power turned off (ignition off)
2. Connect obd port to ecu or car
3. Ground pin 104 through 10k resistor (color code brown black orange)
4. Send +12V power to ecu and after 6 seconds take off pin 104 ground connection
5. Connect usb cable and wait for it to be ready
6. Start jmgarageflasher and click connect

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
AndreBXP

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
DIY video on how to do it should be out on Friday (probably) so hopefully that will eliminate some confusion.
AndreBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #3
PancakeBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreBXP View Post
DIY video on how to do it should be out on Friday (probably) so hopefully that will eliminate some confusion.
Fingers crossed that DIY video will help out with most of the issues/questions.

I bought my galletto cable off amazon and it came with software, and most importantly legit FTDI chip. (Amazon link, sold by ebuyerdeal DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER, BAD CABLE)
Can someone with the same cable share the mprog template file? Just open MProg with the cable connected. Click Tools > Read and Parse, and then save the template. I saved the original of my cable but accidentally lost it after OS reinstall. This is mine right now, which is probably misconfigured

NOTE: DON'T USE THESE SETTINGS. They are probably wrong because I had them changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	621
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	623574  

Last edited by PancakeBimmer; 02-17-2016 at 07:40 PM.
PancakeBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:49 AM   #4
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
hey mate,

this is what I have for mine

Note: this isn't a screenshot from the VM it's actually used on so drivers/product description may be different.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Hobbit382

My Ride: 99-328i 00-323i
it seems as though a lot of people are having problems. here is the way I do it in the car and it works every time.

step 1. open up the dme and set it on a towel next to the ebox. I have a grounding wire that I attach to the strut tower studs, its easy to make, consist of a crimped on loop and a piece of wire long enough to reach pin 104 on the dme, the the tip is soldered to a point to make easier contact with pin 104

step 2. plug connector 4 into the dme (the one right next to the coil harness)

step 3. turn the key to on (key on engine off) and plug in your laptop setup, and open jmgarage app.

step 4. get connector 1 almost installed but not actually making a connection (you need it close so you can connect it using 1 hand)

step 5. ground pin 104 on the dme, while holding the grounding wire to the dme (pin 104) push in connector 1. continue holding the ground on 104 for a count of 10 seconds, then release ground.

step 6. press connect on jmgarage tool.

then it should connect and you can read or write to the dme.

PLEASE NOTE! jmgarage flasher will sometimes stop responding while reading or writing, what ever you do don't touch it until its done in that case, it will come back to life after 2-3min when the flash/read is complete. If you choose to interrupt it thinking its frozen it will it most cases brick the dme
Hobbit382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
PancakeBimmer

Putting ecu into bootmode is for full flash read or write, but without bootmode galletto should be able to read partial flash. Is everyone able to read partial flash, because I can't even get the partial.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
Hobbit382

My Ride: 99-328i 00-323i
To read the partial you have to modify galletto using a hex editor to allow you to use the cable you have. (Unless it's the cable that came with galletto)
Hobbit382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
KendrickC

Hobbit is right.

You need to open Galletto with HxD Editor and change the marca line in the hex code (Ctrl + F, and search marca, and replace the 8-characters that follow with the one you read in MProg under fixed serial number) if you are using an INPA K+DCAN cable. It's best to just use a Galletto cable though. Much easier, and much quicker.

PancakeBimmer, check your drivers. I found that for me personally, Galletto needed to be a USB device (NOT a COM or PORT device) to work with Galletto. I installed the drivers from the official Galletto 1260 install files. Not sure why this worked for me but it did. Before I couldn't get a partial read, and the ECU Data box was just dots. Now it fill a line or so with dots, and the rest is MS4329346072876 and random numbers. I can get the partial read now as well. Haven't tried flashing yet though.

Keep in mind I'm reading through OBD2 though while DME is still in car.

Last edited by KendrickC; 02-04-2016 at 09:38 PM.
KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #9
Pole position

My Ride: E46 330ci
MS43 Connection/Boot-mode troubleshooting thread

Kendrick I'm having the same issue with reading the tune. I only get the dots. How do I change the galletto to be a usb device? I already used mprog3.5 and hex editor to get the cable working. It no longer has interface error, just dots and an error when I try reading the ecu.it is the black galletto cable Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454644402.200434.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	623617Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454644416.234596.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	623618

Last edited by Pole position; 02-04-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Pole position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
KendrickC

Can you take a screenshot of your device manager open?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #11
PancakeBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendrickC View Post
PancakeBimmer, check your drivers. I found that for me personally, Galletto needed to be a USB device (NOT a COM or PORT device) to work with Galletto. I installed the drivers from the official Galletto 1260 install files. Not sure why this worked for me but it did. Before I couldn't get a partial read, and the ECU Data box was just dots. Now it fill a line or so with dots, and the rest is MS4329346072876 and random numbers. I can get the partial read now as well. Haven't tried flashing yet though.
I'll look at original galletto driver and software that came with a cable. Since I had my cable midified, I guess I should check the serial in original galletto and write to to USB. Correct, or galletto does some other check if cable is using USB driver? Also what driver version do you have?

Last edited by PancakeBimmer; 02-04-2016 at 10:10 PM.
PancakeBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #12
Pole position

Kendrick, I have tried both the galletto software I got from daniel.f, and the software that came on the disk. I am not sure about the driver specifics. The cable has worked for me in the past though. I hope I have the most relevant tabs open in my device manager-

Edit- just added another driver screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	623619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	58
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	623620  

Last edited by Pole position; 02-04-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
KendrickC

Hey mate, sorry for being an hour late to reply.

This is what it shows in my Windows XP Virtual Machine. You'll see an FTDI FT8U2XX Device there. That's my Galletto cable running.

This is what it looks like in Windows 10 for me. I haven't tested this yet, but this is what I got. You'll see there is no COM port.

I'll go down to my car and try this now on Windows 10 for you and see if it works. To get to this stage, I simply uninstalled the COM drive (right click -> uninstall -> checkbox) and did the same from the USB devices list as well, then installed the drivers from (I think the Galletto folder, but also possible the newest FTDI drivers - Google FTDI drivers, should be first link). I only installed the drivers to the point of having the USB set installed.

Last edited by KendrickC; 02-04-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #14
KendrickC

Hey mate,

Just had a test - still doesn't work on Windows 10 for me no matter what I try. The VM is working great for me though - ECU data has most of the writing, and a line of dots usually, but it reads the full 64 kb file no issue.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #15
KendrickC

snip - double post

Last edited by KendrickC; 02-04-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:45 PM   #16
PancakeBimmer

What about Windows 7 32bit? My laptop can't handle xp too well...
Old 02-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #17
KendrickC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeBimmer View Post
What about Windows 7 32bit? My laptop can't handle xp too well...
If you can run Windows 7, you should be able to run Windows XP in a Virtual Machine.

Technically Galletto should work on almost all Windows systems, since I have a couple of friends who are running them on Windows 7 64-bit etc, no issues. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me, and I had to run a VM to get anything to work (INPA included)
Old 02-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #18
Pole position

Ok I'll have to try to setup VM tonight. Thanks
Old 02-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #19
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
My clone Galletto interface is bricked due to FTDI driver update, thats at Win7 64.

So im using my inpa cable and the modded eobd1260.exe to run Galletto for partial read and write.

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #20
Pole position

Kendrick how do you get the cable to show up in obd vs com ports? I have my work computer now, windows 7. Hoping it will work. Also, what drivers do I need, it says they are not installed. Thanks

-come tot think of it, it may be because im not an administrator on the work laptop. Back to getting virtual machine to work...

Last edited by Pole position; 02-05-2016 at 04:20 PM.