E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
Easyroller

My Ride: 06 325xi 99 323 98 3
01 325 xi motor questions.

Hey guys I just bought a 01 325 xi woth a blown up motor cyl. 4 has 0 compression so I assume he bent a valve or possibly worse. The reason I bought it is it has a aa supercharger kit and nearly every item dinin makes for the car installed on it. Also has a good set of coil overs on it and the body is in perfect shape ( other than the fact it's plasti-dipped ).

But anyway I already have a motor with a fresh top end on it that I build for my sons 323. Thing that's holding me up is can I swap in my 52 in the place of the 325 54 and if so is it even worth doing? Or should I just buy a 54 motor either 2.5 or I think from what I've read I can swap in a 2.8 as a direct swap.

What is the difference between the 2 2.5 motors is it just intake and throttle body?

Also I realize it will need re tuned if I go 2.8 but I plan to get it re tuned no matter what since he blew it up once already with whatever tune he has. I think what he did was got the supercharger then order one of the dinnin kits that come with a tune and used it in place of hit aa tune. Also he has the 02 sensors pulled for some crazy reason.

Thanks for any input guys

Last edited by Easyroller; 07-02-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Easyroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
If you use your 323 long block and the intake manifold/all wiring and throttle body etc from the blown (in two ways, sorry) 325. You should be good to go with nothing needing changed. Like you said only real difference between the two motors is intake/throttle body and ecu. So keep all that stuff from the 325 and put the identical stuff under it from your rebuilt one.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 07-02-2015 at 10:26 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Easyroller

My Ride: 06 325xi 99 323 98 3
That's what I thought just was not positive. I'm pumped to get it going I put a motor in a rwd bmw but not a awd one . I'm sure it sucks much more. I got the car for 2500. I wish I put 2.8 crank and rods in that motor now when I did it. Anyone know if you can just flip the motor upside down on the stand and pull them out the bottom?
Easyroller is offline   Reply With Quote