E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 12:23 AM   #1
axtonmarinschek330

DISA valve importance

Hi everybody, I've owned my 330i now for a year and a half and in this time learned alot of how the technology works that BMW integrated into their cars and one thing that got me is the DISA valve, as far as my understanding goes is that this valve is used to "split" the manifold,for the reason that at lower rpms the engine is sucking air at a slow pace, so when the DISA is closed it gives the 2sides each short ports that helps the vacuum to be equal and at higher rpms the DISA wil open to cause the manifold to have long ports because of the air moving faster and the vacuum distributes "beter". I have knowledge about how vacuums in a engine works, so this makes sense to me, but why I'm writing this post is because the guy ( non car lover ) took out the DISA or let it break out and get chewed by one of the valves? Can someone just give me a heads up to tell me if I spend my salary on getting a new DISA valve, would this make a deference, because I can feel against other 328's, my lower ends aren't powerful and lags alot ,and my fuel economy is not the best,but that's something else. Any info would mean alot for me. Thanks guys
axtonmarinschek330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
NoGuru

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I would remove it and inspect it. You can test to see if the Diaphragm is working correctly by moving the flap and plugging a hole with your finger and then removing your finger the flap should close.

You can buy rebuild kits for them and it's very easy to do.

As far as not having power in your low end, that can be a lot of things. More information on what has been done since you have owned the car would help.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
axtonmarinschek330

Wel the the first thing ive done when ive got it was to do a service, I did everything except for changing the airfilter because of it being brand new, then I had to change a view underparts because of an accident (rear left control arm bent and front bushes was replaced) then I got an oil leak on my valve cover and replaced the gasket( odly made of rubber) and then the worst happened, my gearbox leaked and took it to the mech for the first time and spend a salary refilling it, and I didnt mention that it's an auto, the mech also diagnoses the car and said to me the exuast vanos is stuck at advanced position, but that got cleared after driving 100km with engine flush and replacing filter and oil. One day I cleaned the motor and when I removed to DISA housing there was no more valve, don't know if it broke of or they took it out, because it could not give a code and I never checked it before, just saying that if you have a bit of car knowledge and a diagnostics tool(that I don't have) you will almost never need a mech. Would like if you guys can tell me what causes low ends to be down
Old 06-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
axtonmarinschek330

Hi
Just an update, I spoke to the mech and he said that I should not be worried about my disa, but out of curiosity, I needed to test it myself, and what I did was just take out the disa unit, and taped it closed, and as soon as I drove around the block and test it out, I felt a huge deference in low to mid rmp power, like I can say twice more than usual, so now I'm going to fabricate my own flap out of stainless steel, and fit it, I'll also try to put up measurement and maybe a diy if all works perfect
Old 06-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Greg H

My Ride: 2001 330i
You should be worried about the DISA valve. I have seen this before, where the DISA valve came apart and damaged intake valves. It is important to the engines low end efficiency and performance. Mine was going bad and starting to make noise, so the dealer replaced it and it made a noticeable difference in engine response. I would recommend just get a new one. Don't take chances damaging the rest of your engine.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
axtonmarinschek330

Thanks I'm going to do a compression test on the piston, because I read a topic where somebodys disa bent I valve seat, so I just want to make sure of it