E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #41
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
^ Assuming everything else mates up, you could probably just grab the pump from a junkyard car.

Or maybe check in with someone who's done an MS42 to MS43 conversion... I have never seen the leak diagnosis pump mentioned. Ever.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:18 AM   #42
alexxander.foster

My Ride: 2000 323i
haha! My thoughts exactly! When I did a search the leak diagnosis pump came up on a few hits for emissions related trouble codes. I found the part number for the MS43 but came up empty handed for the MS42. Oh well.

I emailed bmw_chuzo a couple of days ago so as soon as he gets time to respond I'll ask him about the leak diagnosis pump.

So, we're pretty much done. Today I made some modifications to the module spreadsheets so that it includes the later versions of the MS43. The only difference is a heating element is added to the leak diagnosis pump. If you get a euro tune then you can hook up just about any MS43 you find and it *should* work.

Tomorrow I'm going to compare part numbers for the 328 and 330 engines. Once thats done then we're finished.

So... I'm a broke college student and cant afford to buy a DME & EWS right now... who wants to be the first gunny pig on this experiment???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
^ Assuming everything else mates up, you could probably just grab the pump from a junkyard car.

Or maybe check in with someone who's done an MS42 to MS43 conversion... I have never seen the leak diagnosis pump mentioned. Ever.
alexxander.foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #43
alexxander.foster

guinea pig****

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
Old 06-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #44
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
I can't modify anything until I get engine and trans mounts and replace my busted ass suspension.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 06-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #45
alexxander.foster

Well, I'm tapping out on the research. I looked up all of the part numbers for the 328 and it is no different than the 323. I gave up when I got to the 330 though.

I think we took this pretty much to the end. I posted all of the final edited documents on post 1 of this thread. Looks like we're all stuck for the time being so we'll have to wait and see if this works.

Thanks TerraPhantm and Hornung418 for all of your help! Hope this saves someone time!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #46
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Just FYI, your ms45 info is wrong. All RWD E46 non-Ms in the US switched to the MS45 from march 2003. Also, all 325 SULEV models are ms45 regardless of build date. The xi models stayed with the MS43 for the entire run.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #47
alexxander.foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Just FYI, your ms45 info is wrong. All RWD E46 non-Ms in the US switched to the MS45 from march 2003. Also, all 325 SULEV models are ms45 regardless of build date. The xi models stayed with the MS43 for the entire run.
okay, ill fix it. thanks man.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #48
Hornung418

Tuesday Bump! I need to get all my ducks in a row here. What will I need to properly make the Harness Addition?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #49
alexxander.foster

Here's your shopping list for the pedal and the throttle body wiring harness stuff:

Part: Accelerator Pedal Module Harness
BMW PN: 61138383300
Quantity: 1

Part: Tyco MQS Female Socket (for accelerator pedal harness)
BMW PN: 61130005197
Quantity: 6

Part: Universal Throttle Body Harness
BMW PN: 12527505669
Quantity: 1

Part: Throttle Body Harness Female Pins
BMW PN: 12520143438
Quantity: 6

Contrary to popular belief, BMW does not make all of their own electrical connectors. Some of them are exclusively sold by BMW and some are in-fact made by BMW, but the vast majority of them are available wholesale. Tyco electronics supplies a surprising number of harnesses and harness components. I was hoping to compile a list of equivalent part numbers for this swap but it never manifested.

Also, those terminals are a pain in the ass to crimp. You only need six of each, but I would highly recommend you get more... like twice as many. You can buy them pre-terminated from BMW if you wish but the price gets pretty crazy pretty quickly.

And lastly, this list DOES NOT account for hooking up any other systems (i.e., the instrument cluster or the fuel tank leak test circuit).
Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #50
Hornung418

I'll just go ahead and send buy 100 of the bushings. Only $12.70... any special crimper I need to buy? The ones I have are just standard "cut, strip, crimp" variety.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #51
alexxander.foster

Haha, I sure hope 94 extra pins will be enough! In all seriousness, that's probably a wise purchase. Those female MQS connectors are very common in the engine and work great for emergency wire repair or modification.

As for needing a special tool, I suppose that depends on your confidance level and how bad your OCD is -haha. A few months ago I was destroying 5 pins for every successful crimp. But I obsess over frivilous things. If you want the tool I believe the offical Tyco Electronics MQS crimping tool is $80 but ebay has some chinese made ones for $20 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
I'll just go ahead and send buy 100 of the bushings. Only $12.70... any special crimper I need to buy? The ones I have are just standard "cut, strip, crimp" variety.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #52
Hornung418

We'll see how well I get along with the current tool and if need be I'll buy one off ebay.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #53
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
any update?

can't believed i didnt see this colaboration sooner
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #54
alexxander.foster

Hey,
Hornung418 purchased all the parts necessary to make this work a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if he has started yet but I'm sure he'll update us as soon as he's got time to do the swap. Very exciting stuff!

Quote:
any update?

can't believed i didnt see this colaboration sooner
Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #55
Hornung418

Still waiting for the seller to get his rear in gear. As soon as he pulls all the parts, I'll have the install ready. Could be a while though...some finances need to be organized right now.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #56
bmw_chuzo

My Ride: HPF M3
Send a message via MSN to bmw_chuzo
what is the leak pump? I never had a problem with it
Old 08-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #57
e34m5freak199

My Ride: E34 M5, E46 325
GUYS,

I wish i had see this damn thread before.

Anyway. here is an update.

My Car,

1998 e46, 323, manual. ms42

Was recently at a wreckers who owed me some $ and instead gave me an m54b30 engine and AUTO box. Engine was 100% complete, even got the full exhaust, ews, dme, etc etc.

Anyway, here is how it went down.

- Since then engine was from an auto, its dme, ews and key would not start my car at all. no neutral signal from dme. Anyway, i want and swapped the auto dme, ews and key for another ms43 manual dme, ews and key. I know they could be coded etc etc. however i just wanted an un mallested one from a manual. and that what i got. Plugged it into standard car and she, started at least, that gave me some confidence.

- i wanted to do a proper fit, drive by wire, 330 intake manifold and ms43. So when i got the engine from the wreckers, i also took the pedal assempley and tracked the 6 wires back to the dme. Picture below.

The dash was already out of the donor car so i took the wiring for the pedal to the dme, took a little while to get, but i got it and cut the plug at the dme so i could exact match into my car. Then i got a pedal box from a 330 manual, apparently the are slightly dif, i dont know but i just took the manual.

This is funny.

So at this stage

she was still a m52tub25 (cable) with ms43, ews and key + DBW pedal connected at dme.

She started, however for obvious reason, required both pedal's to idel.

She was really confused at this point, for me i just wanted it to start, to give me a bit of confident on the ms43 conversion with the motor.

Anyway,

Out went the engine, upon comparing the 2, i wanted to be back on road same day, so i decided against the ms43, allot of shet seemed different. Including fuel supply, m52 2 lines, m54 single line regual;ted somewhere near the filter, this i did not have so it was an issue.

Anyways, the m 54 went back in with the m52 inlet manifold (as many other have done) and m52 engine harness (which is almost identical, except the throttle body connector is obviously totally different, m52 is round connector, m54 as you guys already documented) and besides the m54 harness i had, still had all the auto crap connected to it, so i didnt really want all that stuff in the way.

Everything went smooth, started first go and idled and ran like a champion.
so in summary right now:

- its a 98 323, manual
- engine is from 02 m54b30
- i reused m52 engine harness, intake manifold (which includes injectors, TB, Fuel rail etc)
- i reused my original ms42 computer, ews and key. However i was a little concered of maybe running lean, so i went and grabbed a ms42, ews and key from a 328 m52 manual. At least that might bring the maps a little closer to what a 330 should be.

-- Anyhow was really damn happy with everything, then i say this thread SHet. Clearly to get the most out of the car, it really needs the 330 intake manifold and computer. I considering the adapter plate and etc, to make the m52 TB work on the M54 manifold, but i still think thats still a half job, without the ms43 dme which must have DBW.

--- You have your candidate. --- Im ready to do this.

i obviously have everything to do it.

- i have 330 intake maniolf complete (im gonna just use the fuel rail supply from the m52 instead of the single line from the m54) this will not make any difference whatsoever, nothing there is electronic anyway

- ms43, ews and key from 330 manual
- obviously pedal from 330 manual
- pedal to dme wiring for 6 wires, already fitted to harness, i copied exactly positions which were on the ms43 harness which i got the cable from, the wires are sitting connect in my dme box.

Anyway guys, here is the thing.

Electronics ARE NOT my strong point and u guys really seem to know what your on about.

Im happy to try it as i have everything ready to go, however really need someone to hold my hand through it as i dont wanna screw it up and its my daily as well.

Im keep so can we be confident its all good? Is it possible to summaries at all?

Thanks gents
e34m5freak199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #58
Hornung418

Get an external FPR and mount it to the M52tu fuel rail and use the MS43 DME and so it right. You're doing the opposite essentially.... Swapping the block and keeping the 323 electronics.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #59
e34m5freak199

My Ride: E34 M5, E46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
Get an external FPR and mount it to the M52tu fuel rail and use the MS43 DME and so it right. You're doing the opposite essentially.... Swapping the block and keeping the 323 electronics.

no sure what your on about here man. the m52 already has an external fpr and i plan on reusing the rail when i all the b30 manifold and dme.

unless im missing something here?

anyway, need some help on the electronic side of things, thats the real drama.
e34m5freak199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #60
Hornung418

Sorry, Meant the M54 rail. The B30 runs at a different psi than the 323/325/328. Or just convert the fuel lines and go with a stock setup. Just to avoid problem variables.