E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvg5004 View Post
Jason, I respect your perspective on this but I am praying that it is the cause of the broken transmission. It just makes sense right? I drove my car everyday for 3 years and the transmission was pure butter. Then, right after I get a series of repairs it completely gives out. Now I find out that one of the parts I had replaced was incorrectly installed.

Perhaps it wasn't the CV axle directly but maybe the improper installation caused issues with other parts of the car leading to the trans going.

I have my fingers crossed...
I am just praying you are not gonna get raped in the butt hard and dry.
I wouldnt trust any mechanics only if they can show me evidence. economy is bad and money is tight, people would do everything.

Last edited by jasonbimmer; 06-27-2012 at 04:34 PM.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #22
gvg5004

My Ride: 2002 330xi
"expecting them to pay for your transmission (IF its broken which is very unlikely)"

Is this based on experience or are you just kicking me while I'm down?
gvg5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #23
jasonbimmer

Quote:
"expecting them to pay for your transmission (IF its broken which is very unlikely)"

Is this based on experience or are you just kicking me while I'm down?
why you care, its not like my say has anything to do with your out come. if you gonna get raped you gonna get raped.
but seriously, firestone? really? freaking FIRESTONE? you might as well take it to jeffylube, would be same really.

Last edited by jasonbimmer; 06-27-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
The CV breaking will cause the car to not drive at all,and not allow park to function due to the lack of 100% center locking differential. All or the power will go to rotating the snapped shaft that is no longer attached to a drive wheel.
You "transmission breaking" is a loose term being used here without being able to see it. You may have actual mechanical damage from broken parts shearing on the output yoke,or the sudden overspeed of the one broken shaft could have put the traction control in a fault mode or caused internal damage. You might get lucky with just a new shaft being installed to get it fixed and running.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #25
gvg5004

I buy tires there and get my oil changes done there and they are generally nice guys. I agree that getting the bigger repairs there wasn't the smartest choice and looking back I obviously would have chosen differently. But it's in the past and I can't change it.

However, I'll keep everyone updated on what the verdict is at the new shop I have. I certainly appreciate the advice and opinions shared here.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
jasonbimmer

Quote:
I buy tires there and get my oil changes done there and they are generally nice guys. I agree that getting the bigger repairs there wasn't the smartest choice and looking back I obviously would have chosen differently. But it's in the past and I can't change it.

However, I'll keep everyone updated on what the verdict is at the new shop I have. I certainly appreciate the advice and opinions shared here.
oil changes done there.
I bet you never heard of something called BMW LL-01
Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #27
ptrcd003

My Ride: .
Quote:
- fuel service / tune up
- all belts replaced
- brake fluid flushed
- front right tie-rod replaced
- CV joint replaced
- control arm bushing replaced
- alignment

about $2300
Wow, raped.
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #28
fastsoup

My Ride: currently seeking
Quote:

Hope things work out for you...but all in all, you should be driving a Corolla! BMW's are not cars for boy star mechanics. As much as I hate to pay, with these cars, you have to pay to play. This is why I try and do as many repairs to my car as possible, with the exception where I don't want to mess anything up, it goes to a *reputable* shop. Like Jason stated, these are hard times and money is tight. Not saying anything negative, but we all have the Devil inside us, and when you're there shellin out cash to get your BMW fixed, ideas start to arise in peoples minds.

Anyway, good luck, do more DIY's, and may your beemer treat you better

Last edited by fastsoup; 06-27-2012 at 04:56 PM.
fastsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #29
jasonbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
Wow, raped.
very. if you own a BMW and dont know how to work on it, you gonna get seriously raped.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #30
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:

Unfortunately being "nice" doesn't qualify you to work on these cars. They demand specific parts and specific attention. Don't know how many times I've schooled professional mechanics and even BMW technicians on the proper way to do things. Not saying I'm at all some kind of master, but I know enough to speak up when I see things being done wrong. I had a master technician one time telling me that the GC 0W-30 I put in my car is the wrong oil cause "it's too thin." Needless to say, I had to correct him. Many, many stories where I had to correct "professionals".

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #31
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I had a master technician one time telling me that the GC 0W-30 I put in my car is the wrong oil cause "it's too thin." Needless to say, I had to correct him. Many, many stories where I had to correct "professionals".

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #32
mbnz230

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
this is why i dont trust most repair shops out there. they always screw up something on my car, or leave some grease on my door handle or steering wheel. last time i had my car inspected the shop said i needed new wheel bearings on the front cause there's play, i said i do my own repairs, i went home and checked it turns out to be the tie rods.

could the broken cv joint make the trans slip even in park. so the transmission may be good?

its too much of a coincidence that this happen after your $2300 service.

20 miles after service ABS and DSC comes on and after 70 miles transmission fails and cv joint broken. wtf

I would highly suspect this firestone place did something wrong.
mbnz230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #33
jasonbimmer

any updates?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #34
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
Best of luck to you man. I genuinely hope this situation is resolved w/o you taking a massive hit. That said, I would suggest that if you are not interested in learning to DIY your car perhaps it's time to move on from a 10 year old 3 series. Some people replace things in their cars before they break, some people wait til they do, but everyone agrees that things WILL break on your aging e46.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
I just caught this thread and had to chime in. Disregard if too late and you've already forked out the money.

The issue you described of the transmission "spiking" while in gear is indicative of a CV joint giving way. Couple that symptom with the fact that the the CV joint was recently worked on, then you really have to be looking at this closely. We have an open differential on these cars, meaning a CV letting go immediately transfers all the power to that corner.

I haven't read all the follow-up posts closely, but walking into a shop with the opening line "I think there's something wrong with my transmission" is generally a bad idea. A lot of shops have no problem charging you for something that you've seemingly already surrendered to. If you come and say you have a bad transmission, you can almost bet they won't argue with you.

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with your transmission, and a CV letting go won't make the tranny go bad, either. To the car it's just the equivalent of a wheel hopping into the air while applying power, which it can surely handle.

My suspicion is a cheap chinese axle was used for the original repair. There's a recent thread here and it happens.

Lastly the above is not meant to give you a hard time about any decision you've already made or had to do. But if you still have a choice, insist on just the CV joint change (with a REAL BMW one) and go from there.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #36
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
A few have said some of the same things. I totaly agree the transmission is very likely 100% fine. Can't say for sure without getting to look at it. OP,dont be afraid to be a pain in the azz to these mechanics and ask for proof because it is YOUR $$$$ they are trying to take.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #37
gvg5004

Update:

So the shop said the CV joint is completely broken. I've put in a claim with the previous shop that installed it and they are going to give me a new one and comp the labor...small potatoes.

The new shop is taking out my "bad" transmission to look for evidence that the improperly installed CV axle broke my transmission.

I've already authorized them to purchase the new transmission before being educated here and it's sitting on a pallate.

I'm expecting a call any minute on the result of them inspecting what broke the transmission. I honestly do not know what to do now. Many of you with a great deal of expertise are saying to me that only the CV axle needs to be replaced and installed correctly and then the transmission would work fine again. What's your recommendation? I ask them to just replace the CV axle and then have them re-install the "deemed broken" transmission?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #38
jasonbimmer

Quote:
Update:

So the shop said the CV joint is completely broken. I've put in a claim with the previous shop that installed it and they are going to give me a new one and comp the labor...small potatoes.

The new shop is taking out my "bad" transmission to look for evidence that the improperly installed CV axle broke my transmission.

I've already authorized them to purchase the new transmission before being educated here and it's sitting on a pallate.

I'm expecting a call any minute on the result of them inspecting what broke the transmission. I honestly do not know what to do now. Many of you with a great deal of expertise are saying to me that only the CV axle needs to be replaced and installed correctly and then the transmission would work fine again. What's your recommendation? I ask them to just replace the CV axle and then have them re-install the "deemed broken" transmission?
sounds like a typical scam for making some money off you. oh we've pulled the transmission out and theres no way you can test it but you need to pay for the labor.
and they said they just wanted to exam if there is metal shaving in the fluid why did they have to pull the transmission off? cant they just drop the pan?

Last edited by jasonbimmer; 06-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #39
gvg5004

CVX,

I didn't go in with that opening line. My car broke down and it got towed to their shop. I stuck around and the tech propped up the front end of the vehicle. He then was shifting gears and explaining to me the noise I was hearing. He said this is indicative of a broken transmission. I called BMW dealership and they quoted me $7k. the indy dealership called around and found a used one for me for $1800 and I went with it.

I honestly only know basic maintenance and service schedules for my vehicle and I took his word for it. (I know, you can all bust me up for this but my skill set is in computers and IT, not cars unfortunately).

I love that car and drive it with respect but I may have to concede and get something that is cheaper to maintain as I don't have the DIY knowledge yet to maintain it myself. The thought of driving an inferior car give me shivers now that I'm used to how that machine performs and feels...

Last edited by gvg5004; 06-28-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #40
gvg5004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
sounds like a typical scam for making some money off you. oh we've pulled the transmission out and theres no way you can test it but you need to pay for the labor.
and they said they just wanted to exam if there is metal shaving in the fluid why did they have to pull the transmission off? cant they just drop the pan?
Trust me, lesson learned but with the situation I am in it's very difficult for me to navigate what my best options are, who's screwing me, or who is being honest. I am from New Jersey and my car broke down and received maintenance while I was temporarily living in Florida. I had no prior experience or history with body shops in the area. You bet I'm going to get recommendations from you guys for legit shops in the Morristown, NJ area once I finally make it up there and am not stranded in Florida anymore because my car is being worked on.

Last edited by gvg5004; 06-28-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Tags
e46, transmission