E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvg5004 View Post
Trust me, lesson learned but with the situation I am in it's very difficult for me to navigate what my best options are.
its your call really. if you can afford putting in a new transmission, I dont see why not.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #42
gvg5004

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
its your call really. if you can afford putting in a new transmission, I dont see why not.
It's actually more of a bummer situation than that!

my car's transmission "went bad" at 78k miles. The used transmission I bought is at 81k miles and I have no idea about how the past owner(s) treated it. If I could keep my current trans I would but unfortunately if the new shop says its bad I depressingly am just going to have to take his word for it.
gvg5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #43
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
I'm in tech too, and I have to tell you car maintenance (at least on the E46) is a lot more fun, and easier, than working with mining data all day. You just have to get your hands dirty and start somewhere, anywhere, maybe change spark plugs or something.

Don't sweat it. Everyone gets taken at one point or another. Trick is to live and learn. I didn't imply that you did open with that line, just a general "lesson" for those walking into any sort of shop in the future.

Now to the issue at hand - I'm with Jason with this one. I think they're trying to take you for a ride, and I for one don't think the transmission is anywhere off the car yet. I'd walk into the shop unannounced and ask to see the car. And for that matter, ask to see whatever they say is broken.

This is a tough one since you already gave them a preliminary go-ahead to investigate the issue, but with some luck your car is really still in queue, so asking them to just replace the CV joint wouldn't be the awkward situation you're trying to avoid.

In any case, think carefully about your replacement vehicle if you do decide to sell. Get another BMW (albeit newer) if you can. I was in your shoes in '07 when I was having problems with our E39. I stepped into a brand new Acura that I sold less than a year later. No matter what the salesmen say (or believe), they're not the same car. They're not even in the same category.

Quote:
CVX,

I didn't go in with that opening line. My car broke down and it got towed to their shop. I stuck around and the tech propped up the front end of the vehicle. He then was shifting gears and explaining to me the noise I was hearing. He said this is indicative of a broken transmission. I called BMW dealership and they quoted me $7k. the indy dealership called around and found a used one for me for $1800 and I went with it.

I honestly only know basic maintenance and service schedules for my vehicle and I took his word for it. (I know, you can all bust me up for this but my skill set is in computers and IT, not cars unfortunately).

I love that car and drive it with respect but I may have to concede and get something that is cheaper to maintain as I don't have the DIY knowledge yet. The thought of driving an inferior car give me shivers now that I'm used to how that machine performs and feels...

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #44
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
It may not be too late to ask them for a refund on the transmission they have sitting on a pallet. However, keep in mind that if they re-install the tranny that they shouldn't have taken out in the first place to inspect, and it still fails, that is a lot a lot a lot of labor costs to then have to reinstall the newer tranny in your car. I'd hate to have to see you did that. Best of luck.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #45
gvg5004

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
It may not be too late to ask them for a refund on the transmission they have sitting on a pallet. However, keep in mind that if they re-install the tranny that they shouldn't have taken out in the first place to inspect, and it still fails, that is a lot a lot a lot of labor costs to then have to reinstall the newer tranny in your car. I'd hate to have to see you did that. Best of luck.
Understood - that is my fear as well. I'm waiting on a call from them and will post here after. Can't say how thankful I am for this community's advice / guidance.

Ideal situation: they say the improper installation of the CV axle caused the transmission to go bad and they have proof.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #46
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Understood - that is my fear as well. I'm waiting on a call from them and will post here after. Can't say how thankful I am for this community's advice / guidance.

Ideal situation: they say the improper installation of the CV axle caused the transmission to go bad and they have proof.
what proof? because its making noise when you shift gear? of course it will make a noise when one of the drive axle is broken.
if it was a transmission problem, you will immediately get a warning light on your dash.
and stop being lazy waiting for calls. go down to the shop and look yourself.

Last edited by jasonbimmer; 06-28-2012 at 07:17 PM.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #47
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
what proof? because its making noise when you shift gear? of course it will make a noise when one of the drive axle is broken.
if it was a transmission problem, you will immediately get a warning light on your dash.
and stop being lazy waiting for calls. go down to the shop and look yourself.
I wouldn't call it laziness, I'd think that the OP is just overwhelmed by everything and doesn't know how to handle a situation like this.

OP, I do heavily support the theory that if your transmission failed, you would see a light that (I think...) looks like this --> (!) in your dash. If you do not have that, then I'd say you're probably in good shape as far as that goes. I think everyone is correct in saying your CV is the fault. Looking forward to how this goes.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #48
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
This guy must have too much money in his pocket
Old 06-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #49
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
Give the guy a break guys....not everyone is mechanically inclined and/or cares to be.

Also, who knows what kind of damage to a sophisticated AWD system can occur when an axle pops out at highway speed, the transmission may very well be cooked, or at least the transfer case.

He was the victim of a shop that didn't know what they were doing, and probalby relies heavily on this car as his DD. Started off trying to do right by the car, and ended up in a nightmear. We are here to help at this point, not criticize events in the past-that does no good.

It is posts like these that make me get frustrated by some of the members here, if you arent a car genious its like a free for all to make fun of someone.

OP: I would put the firestone shop 100% on the hook for this, regardless what the shop says caused the damage to the transmission. You spent alot of money with them, and within 70 miles were stuck on the side of the road. I presume they did a checkover before they performed all of this work, did it say that the transmission checked good? You WILL win this fight in any small claims court, and they know this. Get the regional manager of this firestone involved ASAP, and start compiling your case.

The bottom line is, your car would NOT have been broken on the side of the road if you had not repaired your car at their facility. Make them 100% clear on this point. Threaten to get a lawyer involved, the case is against them and i'd be surprised if you had to.

Good luck
Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #50
Slopestyle

My Ride: E46 '02. 330Ci Coup
Completely agree with RG. Go there thats what happaned. Boom bam done, have them pay a BMW shop to fix it thoroughly towed, and have BMW Bill them directly. Sorry to hear that was the situation, pretty obvious that they made an error in replacing those components and caused unnecessary damage.
Slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #51
gvg5004

So, no warning light came on when my transmission failed. It looks like there is overwhelming evidence by the number of posts that say the original transmission was fine based on this fact. I understand that there are always outliers but is that statement generally supported here?

If so, I'M RAISING HELL tomorrow. I can't believe how ****ed I got on this and I'll lawyer up if I get strong resistance.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #52
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
If the CV joint that was JUST replaced is the one that failed,then you have a very strong and obvious case and warrenty repair from Firestone should be a given,but I still question what reasons the new mechanics had for saying the tranny had any fault at all even at this point. I'll re read the thread to see if I missed a post.

Edit: If this failure happened to my car,I would replace the failed CV and test drive. I would not question the Transmission for one second.
Op,is this a front,or rear CV that broke? Either way,doesn't really matter. That car needs to have been test driven to confirm before unbolting anything else. I would avoid the new tranny.Good luck.

Last edited by HiHoBrian; 06-28-2012 at 09:41 PM.
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #53
gvg5004

I'm driving up tomorrow to the shop and telling them to halt work. I broke down 2.5 hours away from my temp living situation so I'm getting up at 5:30 AM and trying to get there at 8AM before they do anything else.

I'm going to raise hell with Firestone and attempt to get them to pay for the repairs. Simply put, if it was not for their improper installation I would not have broke down.

I'm not sure what state my car is going to be in (i.e. old trans in, old trans out, new trans in etc). I don't even know what I'm hoping for at this point.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #54
gvg5004

Anyone have any experience taking a shop to small claims court?
  • I have the bill from Firestone stating that they repaired the front right CV axle
  • Bill also includes a full inspection done by Firestone
  • I have pictures of the now broken CV axle due to improper installation
  • Since I got the alignment done at BMW dealer after Firestone did the work, I can get the customer service rep to vouch that the transmission was in perfect working order and did not show any signs of failing. I asked them to do a test drive and a complete inspection as well.
  • I have the tow record all with time stamps etc

The only thing I think I need is some irrefutable evidence that a improperly installed CV axle can be hell on an AWD vehicle and can lead to the transmission failing. If the new shop is at fault by recommending that the entire transmission be completely replaced it's still indirectly Firestone's fault. I'm not sure how much weight this will hold but now I'm 10/10 pissed and going to raise hell.

Ideally, I want to find my car at the new shop with the old transmission out and the replacement transmission still bubble-wrapped on the pallet. That way I can get Firestone to pay for a tow to a BMW dealership and have them properly put in a better or equal transmission and have BMW bill them directly. Then, I can return the current replacement trans.

Wish me luck friends, I'm going to need it.

Last edited by gvg5004; 06-28-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #55
gvg5004

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
If the CV joint that was JUST replaced is the one that failed,then you have a very strong and obvious case and warrenty repair from Firestone should be a given,but I still question what reasons the new mechanics had for saying the tranny had any fault at all even at this point. I'll re read the thread to see if I missed a post.

Edit: If this failure happened to my car,I would replace the failed CV and test drive. I would not question the Transmission for one second.
Op,is this a front,or rear CV that broke? Either way,doesn't really matter. That car needs to have been test driven to confirm before unbolting anything else. I would avoid the new tranny.Good luck.
Yes, the exact CV axle they said they replaced is now broken. The new shop is also saying that "perhaps" because of that there is now damage to the transfer case.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #56
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Hope it works out man. Keep a cool head tomorrow, and keep us posted if you can.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #57
Mike.Santos999

My Ride: BMW E46
Wow total nightmare sorry to hear.

The new shop already diagnosed the problem as broken tranny caused by the CV joint failing. Unless they retract that statement, I'd let them install the "new" tranny. At least you get a working car and a warranty from the new shop. Dont put yourself in any more dilemma of whether the old tranny is good or bad. You're now dealing with a new shop ,, bite the bullet.

If you wish you can tell the new shop that you want your old tranny back. Since you live in NJ, it can be a logistic nightmare to get it shipped to or hauled back to your house. Or you can ask the new shop to store it for you and you'll reclaim it later whenever. Hahaha most likely you'll just abandon it.

You go after the old shop for damages that's your prerogative.

---------------------------------

---------------------------------

Regards,
Mike
The SCTEX Midnight Driver

Last edited by Mike.Santos999; 06-28-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Mike.Santos999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #58
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Santos999 View Post
Wow total nightmare sorry to hear.

The new shop already diagnosed the problem as broken tranny caused by the CV joint failing.
Sounds like they guessed there might be damage by using word "perhaps". I don't think they installed the new CV and test drove it and found a fault. For some reason this story really gets to me. It's a good chunk of money on someones DD car that could be just getting jerked around-in a bad way.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #59
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
You mentioned the car rolling while in park. I would guess the CV joint that was recently worked on popped out ot somthing is wrong between the trans output shaft & tranfer case?

But I would first chect CV axle shaft. Pretty simple test I would do is jack up one wheel at a time and rotate and see if one wheel feels easier to turn?

Does not sound like a trans problem on the surface.

Good luck.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #60
gvg5004

So I'm at the shop now. The tech showed me what happened. The CV axle that Firestone replaced was installed incorrectly. Either there was damaging to the locking ring or they didn't bother to lock it in to begin with. The oil was all over the place around where it popped out and around the transfer case.

The bad news is that the tech is saying there is a very low chance that this caused the transmission to go bad. I can't recall the part he mentioned while typing this but he said there is only one connection from that CV axle to the transmission and that didn't show any signs of damage so far.

I called Firestone and said bottom line is I dropped significant money to get my car in tip-top shape and < 70 miles later I'm broken down at the side of the road and have proof of improper installation of parts replaced (CV axle).

Firestone has a claims inspector coming out to the shop now to evaluate it himself. I know this is a big ask from someone you loosely know via the internet, but can you guys load me up with reasons why the CV axle popping out while doing highway speeds would be hell on an AWD transmission?

I know there are mixed feelings here on if the CV axle being improperly installed could have caused the transmission to fail or stressed it and caused it to fail. However, if you give me ammo to say to the inspector I would be very grateful and I'm sure you will receive tons of karma in return if you believe in that stuff

Tags
e46, transmission