E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
What da Fan !! (this is strange)

I replaced a faulty unit 2 yeas ago when that fan started spinning at max speed during the night and engine off...

common problem, only one solution...

in the last month the new one started to act reaaaaaally strange:

starting from cold engine, as it reaches 70 (+/-) the fan starts to blow at max speed, and keeps the temperature around 85,
if driving on highway at high rpms/speed, i dunno if it stops, but temperature reach normal 90/94, but sometimes i noticed that goes lower that this 87/88 (these records have been taken with outside temp around 25)

if i turn off the engine, no matter the temperature the engine is, the fan stops or better, it returns on the lowest speed and everything looks normal, obviously if the temperature is above 96 it starts blowing..

i set an alarm on Torque on 97 but i never reached that temperature since this problem came out
i used to reach 97 only when driving on the road that leads to my home, 900mt uphill, 1st gear max speed 15km/h, fan starts and temperature used to stay around 94

i've also tried some tests via INPA and i've discovered that after testing all the % speeds (up to 90%),deleting all the errors, and reset the adaptation values, the fan acts completely normal (no over blowing, no starts when is not necessary) for a couple of days...then the problem came back

this is an uncommon behaviour, and if i drive during the night with full lights, stereo(4 amps), heated seats and some ventilation into the cabin i notice that the voltage of the alternator stays around 13,1V...
and this might drain the battery...

any ideas? it doesn't seems to be the same problem as usual, as the fan doesn't starts when the engine is off...

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
What brand fan did you put in?

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

Oem Bmw, newer p.number, mine is a m52tu, direct fit.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
I think you may have a few issues.

1. Sounds like the thermostat is soft, this has no bearing on the fan behavior. But bear with me a moment before you get too excited and plan on a thermostat replacement.

2. I would check the temp sensor in the lower radiator hose, this is the radiator outlet temp sensor and this is one thing that controls the fan.

3. I would see what the heater core temperature is. You mentioned you had a stereo with 4 Amps. This leads me to believe you have an aftermarket head unit? Did you cut up or modify anything behind where the OE radio mounts? There is a temperature sensor that monitors the heater core temperature and will cause the thermostat heater to come on prematurely and may cause the engine cooling fan to run faster.

4. Do you know if the oil temperature sensor wiring is in good shape?

5. The Voltage of 13.1 while the engine is running sounds a bit low. Not sure where and how you are measuring this. I would question the alternator and/or Voltage drop somewhere. 13.5-14.5 Volts is my preference.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #5
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
I think you may have a few issues.

1. Sounds like the thermostat is soft, this has no bearing on the fan behavior. But bear with me a moment before you get too excited and plan on a thermostat replacement.

2. I would check the temp sensor in the lower radiator hose, this is the radiator outlet temp sensor and this is one thing that controls the fan.

3. I would see what the heater core temperature is. You mentioned you had a stereo with 4 Amps. This leads me to believe you have an aftermarket head unit? Did you cut up or modify anything behind where the OE radio mounts? There is a temperature sensor that monitors the heater core temperature and will cause the thermostat heater to come on prematurely and may cause the engine cooling fan to run faster.

4. Do you know if the oil temperature sensor wiring is in good shape?

5. The Voltage of 13.1 while the engine is running sounds a bit low. Not sure where and how you are measuring this. I would question the alternator and/or Voltage drop somewhere. 13.5-14.5 Volts is my preference.
1. thermostat has been replaced more or less in the moment time of the fan
2. That connector is ok and is well plugged in, i check it recently because i've found a disconnected connector in that area (check this: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1107831 ), that connector stills an enigma...
not sure for the sensor, might be possible, is there a way to diagnose it?
3.Oem nav, all the mods are on the audio module into the trunk,final stage resistor is 1yo
4. No, i dunno... the only thing oil related is that sometimes the yellow oli light came for 30sec on cold start, then it goes off... i'm about to change all fluids next week, i'll inspect that (i'll do a serach for this in the forum regarding this)
5.measurements are made via obd2 with torque/obdfusion (yes... i bough it )and via INPA, i suppose that the amount of voltage required by those condition will drop the voltage,during the day with fan off the values are 13,6/8

thanks for your help,
i've an other question but i'll ask it to you via pm,
easier than open an other discussion...
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #6
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

last week i did an entire fluid change
i've checked both sensors and they were ok (i've also changed the lower sensor oring as it wasn't that soft)

went to Florence on the highway (81kms, avg speed 140km/h) for the entire trip the temperature remained on 88C, can't say if the fan was on or not, arrived into the city traffic the temperature went uo to 96
fan starts and temperature dropped down to 84, then up then down.. normal...

came back and on the highway the temprature was 90 forthe entire trip, arrived home (going uphill) it raised to 97 ,fan started, but as it reached 88 went off again.

2 days of normal behaviour then today fan on at max speed after 15sec....

inpa said: coolant temperature 65 - outlet temp 112

is that normal??