E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
honestly, in this case a pic would help immensely.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
I had the EXACT same leak after my VCG install. I'll tell you how to fix it.

I followed both the Besians instructions and the Bentley manual. That is how I found out that Besians listed a slightly lower torque value for the front of the Vanos cover than the Bentley manual did. This lower value is what caused my leak. When I retourqed it all to the slightly higher value, it stopped leaking.

I would advise you to do it all again, use RTV, clean it all well, since it will have oil all over the place, and use the torque specs from the Bentley manual.

EDIT: I've pointed this out before, and no one seems to pay attention. I'm guessing that not everyone has problems with the lower specs he gives, or they over torque from the lower value so and are just lucky.

Last edited by Drewfus2101; 06-28-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #23
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfus2101 View Post
I had the EXACT same leak after my VCG install. I'll tell you how to fix it.

I followed both the Besians instructions and the Bentley manual. That is how I found out that Besians listed a slightly lower torque value for the front of the Vanos cover than the Bentley manual did. This lower value is what caused my leak. When I retourqed it all to the slightly higher value, it stopped leaking.

I would advise you to do it all again, use RTV, clean it all well, since it will have oil all over the place, and use the torque specs from the Bentley manual.

EDIT: I've pointed this out before, and no one seems to pay attention. I'm guessing that not everyone has problems with the lower specs he gives, or they over torque from the lower value so and are just lucky.
He needs a new valve cover.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #24
das boots

My Ride: '90 M3 & '05 ZHP
I already had experience with VCG when I replaced the 530i using the red. Had to do this twice before I finally concentrated on the exhaust manifold perimeter. Figuring that since it sits lower than the instake. And also around the front and rear of the half moons. No leaks....finally. But continuing to monitor.

However, on the E46, I decided to do the VCG, VANOS, DISA, OFHG and the CCV hoses. I did this with a BMW tech. But when I started to use my red sealant, he had another sealant that they use at the dealer. It is blue and after application, it feels like liquid candle wax. I will have to get back to him on this type of sealant and ask him about it.

Lawrence
BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742

'89 M Technic II Coupe Track Car - RIP
'90 M3 - Garage Queen
'91 M Technic II Cabriolet 5 Spd - #2 Son's DD
'92 525i 5 Spd - Sold but not forgotten
'03 530i 5 Spd - S.O.'s DD
'05 330 ZHP 6 Spd - My DD
'09 328i 2 Dr Step - #1 Son's DD
das boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #25
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by das boots View Post
I already had experience with VCG when I replaced the 530i using the red. Had to do this twice before I finally concentrated on the exhaust manifold perimeter. Figuring that since it sits lower than the instake. And also around the front and rear of the half moons. No leaks....finally. But continuing to monitor.

However, on the E46, I decided to do the VCG, VANOS, DISA, OFHG and the CCV hoses. I did this with a BMW tech. But when I started to use my red sealant, he had another sealant that they use at the dealer. It is blue and after application, it feels like liquid candle wax. I will have to get back to him on this type of sealant and ask him about it.
Was it Drei Bond? That's what TIS specifies.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
das boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Was it Drei Bond? That's what TIS specifies.
I dunno. It was a white tube with BMW brand on it......I was not concentrating on that situation at that time. We were just plugging along to get the project done as soon as we can.......We were just glad we got it done in a day.....late.

Lawrence

'90 M3 - Garage Queen
Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #27
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
He needs a new valve cover.
I missed your previous post.

That could be true, but it seems unlikely. Should be pretty tough to warp those things. He should be able to check whether it's warped or not with a straight-edge, if you've got some carpenters tools. ASSuming that it is not warped, go with the torque specs out of the Bentley manual.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #28
das boots

A follow-up on the sealant used. "Permatex Hylomar Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant". Do NOT use any other cheap Hylomar that can be purchased in Harbor Freight (made in China)

Lawrence

'90 M3 - Garage Queen
Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #29
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Permatex ultrablack is top-of-the-line for Permatex. Make sure that stuff your friend used is oxygen sensor safe.

As far as a valve cover being warped being unlikely, as I said, mine was warped and visibly so. Brand new Genuine BMW valve cover and brand new Genuine BMW valve cover gasket and permatex ultrablack, no more reoccurring leaks for me. All is bone dry.

And my valve cover is warped visibly as well as with a straight edged. The front corner is what warps. It tends to lift upwards.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #30
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
...And my valve cover is warped visibly as well as with a straight edged. The front corner is what warps. It tends to lift upwards.
Aaaand mine was visibly leaking at the front corner, too. Not the half moons side, but the passenger side, at the corner that "points" to the passenger headlight. This point was visibly leaking, the rest of the passenger side VC was wet to touch. If this all is correct, I have warped VCG, too. But Permatex BLACK along the whole perimeter of the VC was enough to fix it. I'm just sayin', I am not recommending...

Oh, and those bolts are probably the simplest bolts to tighten on the whole car - just follow the rule: when they stop, you stop.

Last edited by daki_bmw; 06-28-2012 at 12:25 PM.
daki_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #31
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by daki_bmw View Post
Aaaand mine was visibly leaking at the front corner, too. Not the half moons side, but the passenger side, at the corner that "points" to the passenger headlight. This point was visibly leaking, the rest of the passenger side VC was wet to touch. If this all is correct, I have warped VCG, too. But Permatex BLACK along the whole perimeter of the VC was enough to fix it. I'm just sayin', I am not recommending...

Oh, and those bolts are probably the simplest bolts to tighten on the whole car - just follow the rule: when they stop, you stop.
Yep the corners are where it leaks. The VCG bolts are not bottomed out at the factory.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #32
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Yep the corners are where it leaks. The VCG bolts are not bottomed out at the factory.
We like to think we are a little better than the fellas at the factory
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #33
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
If all this doesn't work, check your CCV. Pressure regulator valve might be crudded up.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #34
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
If all this doesn't work, check your CCV. Pressure regulator valve might be crudded up.
Very possible scenario, especially in colder climates. Though you could just pop your oil cap to see if theres suction as the engines running.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #35
das boots

Quote:
Very possible scenario, especially in colder climates. Though you could just pop your oil cap to see if theres suction as the engines running.
That is exactly what the BMW Master Tech mentioned. CCV really do tend to fail more in cold climes. That was why BMW produced a hose with insulation and made it bigger. But it wouldn't hurt to replace the CCV hoses once since they are still original parts even on warmer climes. Good thing I did. I think one of the POs had varmint infestation. The insulation was used as their snack...... LOL.

Lawrence

'90 M3 - Garage Queen
Old 06-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #36
alhayek

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
This happened to me as well. 6 times in one month per TIS, 4 new valve cover gaskets. 3 different sealants.

guess what the fix was? new valve cover. old one was visibly warped. I'm going to do a post on this soon with pictures.. haven't had time
You know, normally I would be be wishing to avoid replacing the cover since its $200+. But I don't give a #$%^ anymore! I will go an carefully inspect my cover, and if I notice anything ( which I honestly hope I do now) I will replace that sucker in a heartbeat!)
Old 06-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #37
bshinn

My Ride: 323i
Glad I stumbled across this thread, was going to do the VCG this weekend.

Think this cover might be warped Gent's :Click image for larger version

Name:	Warped VC.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	458452

This is turning into a $300.00 oil leak

Last edited by bshinn; 06-28-2012 at 07:06 PM.
bshinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #38
bshinn

Boots,

You gott'a upload that thumbnail so my old eyes can read it!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #39
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshinn View Post
Glad I stumbled across this thread, was going to do the VCG this weekend.

Think this cover might be warped Gent's :Attachment 458452

This is turning into a $300.00 oil leak
does look like wrapped. was the VCG replaced before? could it be the old gasket was never cleaned out?
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #40
bshinn

Oh it's warped, leaking fairly heavily around that point, & I can push on the cover & get it to move.