E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #61
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
Do you want to buy a used valve cover? I have one and would like to unload it. PM if you want.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #62
josephi

My Ride: '02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhayek View Post
Well, my job just got a more difficult. I stripped the threading in the engine where the stud bolt (part 11121718856, or item #10 in this graph http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...13&hg=11&fg=15). So now I will need a time sert!

Why the heck is this happening ? I didn't over-tighten the bolt! why the heck would these threads strip ? This is the second time this happened to me! . I always use the freaking torque wrench!
Wow. I believe the torque spec for those studs is only about 11 ft/lbs, and the cap nuts is about 8 ft/lbs, which is very light and shouldn't have resulted in stripped threads. Was the VCG replaced before, and is it possible that someone else may have overtightened the nuts/studs and weakened the threads in the process?
josephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #63
alhayek

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephi View Post
Wow. I believe the torque spec for those studs is only about 11 ft/lbs, and the cap nuts is about 8 ft/lbs, which is very light and shouldn't have resulted in stripped threads. Was the VCG replaced before, and is it possible that someone else may have overtightened the nuts/studs and weakened the threads in the process?
Quite possible really. I recall when I replace the gasket for the first time that one of the nut caps had two washers, so someone must have done this before. I also recall this specific stupid nut cap not tightening correctly. I can get it to a max of maybe 8 nm (spec says 10 nm).

Oh well, I just have to fix what someone else broke I guess. I'm trying to be positive and think of this as training for my future M3 !
Old 07-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #64
alhayek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post
Do you want to buy a used valve cover? I have one and would like to unload it. PM if you want.
The question is how do I even know if your cover is not warped ? is it off a 99 ? if I had to replace the cover I'd rather get a new one.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #65
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Just get a new one. it comes w/ a brand new gasket. get it from ecstuning.com or bmwmercedesparts.com. $200 or under shipped. Don't buy no used barnyard cover. you'll just have problems.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #66
Brinkley

Quote:
The question is how do I even know if your cover is not warped ? is it off a 99 ? if I had to replace the cover I'd rather get a new one.
It's from a 2002 325ci (the other car listed under my name) Is it warped? I don't think so. You were complaining about how much they cost, and I have one I'm willing to part with for dirt cheap. If you want to get a new one sure, simply offering you a choice. GL
Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #67
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
It's from a 2002 325ci (the other car listed under my name) Is it warped? I don't think so. You were complaining about how much they cost, and I have one I'm willing to part with for dirt cheap. If you want to get a new one sure, simply offering you a choice. GL
case and point. why is it off your car to begin with?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #68
Brinkley

You know what I don't get about you? Your attitude. You have a nice ride, that's great. Some people share your opinion about replacing things with brand new stuff, some don't. So what? Why does it bother you so much? If he wants my barnyard valve cover, ok, if not, that's still ok. I made an offer to help, he doesn't want to do it, so I'm moving on with my life. Please waste your time continuing on and on in this thread.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #69
josephi

My Ride: '02 330i
Quote:
Quite possible really. I recall when I replace the gasket for the first time that one of the nut caps had two washers, so someone must have done this before. I also recall this specific stupid nut cap not tightening correctly. I can get it to a max of maybe 8 nm (spec says 10 nm).

Oh well, I just have to fix what someone else broke I guess. I'm trying to be positive and think of this as training for my future M3 !
Good luck. I hope it all works out!
josephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #70
havnfun328

My Ride: 99 328i Stock
Two things:

First, always replace the rubber grommets. The first time I replaced mine I didn't order enough so I reused two of them. Sure enough within a few months it was leaking from the old grommets.

Second, the VC bolts are designed so that they bottom out on the head after compressing the grommets slightly. Tightening beyond that will only stress the bolt and threads. So I was advised by my indy to use a small ratchet, 1/4 or 3/8 max, and tighten them down until you feel the bolt bottom out. Then tighten by feel beyond that just enough so that they don't loosen up.

I did this when I replaced the VCG the second time and have had no problem over a year later.
235K and still running strong
havnfun328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #71
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
You know what I don't get about you? Your attitude. You have a nice ride, that's great. Some people share your opinion about replacing things with brand new stuff, some don't. So what? Why does it bother you so much? If he wants my barnyard valve cover, ok, if not, that's still ok. I made an offer to help, he doesn't want to do it, so I'm moving on with my life. Please waste your time continuing on and on in this thread.
I'm here to protect the people and their cars. You want to pawn off old broken parts onto unsuspecting members, do it somewhere else.

Now if you'll excuse me, Officer JFOJ and I have some patrols to do. If you behave nicely, perhaps one day we'll let you go on a ride along. Show you how this rodeo is done!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #72
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun328 View Post
Two things:

First, always replace the rubber grommets. The first time I replaced mine I didn't order enough so I reused two of them. Sure enough within a few months it was leaking from the old grommets.

Second, the VC bolts are designed so that they bottom out on the head after compressing the grommets slightly. Tightening beyond that will only stress the bolt and threads. So I was advised by my indy to use a small ratchet, 1/4 or 3/8 max, and tighten them down until you feel the bolt bottom out. Then tighten by feel beyond that just enough so that they don't loosen up.

I did this when I replaced the VCG the second time and have had no problem over a year later.
While I agree they should not be tightened beyond bottoming out, they shouldn't be bottomed out in the first place. Bottoming out the nuts excessively flattens/distorts the grommets. If you look at cars where the valve cover has never been touched (04+ models) you'll notice the rubber grommets are nowhere near squished,flattened or distorted. 10 ft-lbs--no more.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #73
Brinkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I'm here to protect the people and their cars. You want to pawn off old broken parts onto unsuspecting members, do it somewhere else.

Now if you'll excuse me, Officer JFOJ and I have some patrols to do. If you behave nicely, perhaps one day we'll let you go on a ride along. Show you how this rodeo is done!
Ill behave as I please, and no thanks on the rodeo. I came here to offer this guy a legit alternative to his problem, and I'll continue to inform other members that they don't HAVE to follow your bs.
Ill add that I admit that you do help people, but I think you'd get a better response from those who don't see eye to eye with you with a change in attitude. Now, off to work, maybe my 14 year old 160,000 mile fuel pump will go and make your day.

Last edited by Brinkley; 07-06-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #74
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
You took the bait
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #75
alhayek

The time sert saved me ! for now the car is back to where it was when I attempted to eliminate the initial minor leak. Just when I was about to buy the dang valve cover, my alternator started crapping out on me! so getting ready to drop 200-500 dollars now (depending on whether I will get a re-manufactured or new alternator)
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #76
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
The time sert saved me ! for now the car is back to where it was when I attempted to eliminate the initial minor leak. Just when I was about to buy the dang valve cover, my alternator started crapping out on me! so getting ready to drop 200-500 dollars now (depending on whether I will get a re-manufactured or new alternator)
Replace the voltage regulator. Pull your alternator out to see what kind you need. Bosch 120a, valeo, etc.

Pray it's the Bosch.

$

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #77
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
O boy, this thread makes me nervous about my VCG DIY soon... Thanks for the help on susp btw Mango, I'm sure it was too menial for you
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #78
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
O boy, this thread makes me nervous about my VCG DIY soon... Thanks for the help on susp btw Mango, I'm sure it was too menial for you
huh? can't tell if you're being sarcastic. did you ask a question and i didn't get to it?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #79
alhayek

Prayer answered. Its a BOSCH.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #80
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Prayer answered. Its a BOSCH.
Good. You must've faced Bavaria and kneeled 3x (As DMAX says) with genuine bmw coolant smeared on your forehead in a round shape with genuine 5w-30 motor oil as an outline and a mango in your pocket.

Was it 120A?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS