E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 2.36 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #221
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I don't have a problem with parents buying BMWs (the regular ones) for their kids. They are very safe cars. I have a problem with parents buying things like an M3, Shelby GT350, G37 coupes, etc. When parents buy their kids a performance car, that shows how irresponsible they are (and short sighted). I haven't seen a kid with one of those cars make it more than a few years without something major happening to it. A 330 is about the fastest thing I would ever want someone under 20 driving.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #222
raymoon

My Ride: Alpinweiß III
My luckier friends in high school had either BMW 325i's or ci's or Audi A4's. They were all lowered, all had rims, all were tinted out with a minimum of limo (5%) all around. One friend with a black 02 325i had double limo all around, and 35% on the windshield....he got pulled over a lot. They were my dream cars back then. Been driving a Honda Accord for the past 6-7 years. Now that I'm out of college and got a job, I can finally afford my high-school dream car!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330cic View Post
I think if you're a high school kid driving a BMW everyone will just make fun of you for driving your parents car. I'm 42 years old and people still shout out stupid things to me like: "Is that your daddies car?" and "Did your mommy buy that for you?"
Back to the friend with the tinted out 325i, he now drives a corolla because it was his dad's car...

Boring anecdotes aside, I'd never buy my kid a bimmer. If he wants a bimmer, he can take the tiny budget I was going to give them for a 2nd hand Japanese car and earn the rest of the money. Nothing against the kids who got a bimmer in high-school, but knowing how ALL my friends with bimmers and audi's drove with those cars, I wouldn't actively support my kid with the same equipment (even though I drove the wheels off my accord...).

Last edited by raymoon; 12-03-2012 at 04:39 PM.
raymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #223
yonmoor

My Ride: Handbasket
Gonna make a note of all the jumped up little shites that posted itt and add them to my bloque list.
yonmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #224
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
so glad I didn't own my BMW in high school
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #225
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
this is one of the reasons i sold my zhp
Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #226
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I don't have a problem with parents buying BMWs (the regular ones) for their kids. They are very safe cars. I have a problem with parents buying things like an M3, Shelby GT350, G37 coupes, etc. When parents buy their kids a performance car, that shows how irresponsible they are (and short sighted). I haven't seen a kid with one of those cars make it more than a few years without something major happening to it. A 330 is about the fastest thing I would ever want someone under 20 driving.
when the parent has a stash of illegal cash from corruption and bribes, how else can they spend/wash it?
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #227
TArse

My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is
I got my e46 after high school pushing beans at dunkin donuts, does that count?
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #228
M3JetBlack

My Ride: 2002 M3 & 2004 330ci
I seriously dont understand whats wrong with the fact that someone younger owns an e46. Most of us care and baby our e46's. We (most of us) dont rice them out or destroy the meaning of an e46. I just find it hard to accept the fact that you guys complain about younger people driving your car. Im 17 and have a 330ci...there i said it finally. BUT i pay for everything. My parents dont give me a dime to use. So that means i actually bought it, pay maintenance, mods, insurance, gas, and anything else. That pretty much covers what all you guys bash on us for. I enjoy being on the forums and learning about my e46 more and more everyday. So, what is the big problem? Seriously.

6MT / Black Interior / Black Kidney / Black Gills / Kinesis K27 18x10.5 18x12 / ST Coilovers / TMS Camber Plates / Rogue El Diablo / AP Headers / AR25 / VCSL / CSL Diffuser / Iconz Front Lip / OEM LED Taillights / Orion V2 / MotorWerks Tuned / Alpha N / Nexus 7 / V1 Stealth

- Washington State -
M3JetBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #229
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
^You may not realize it, but you're one of the rare few and for that I commend you.

We have a problem with it because most of the time when we see a high school kid with a BMW they mod the piss out of it, don't maintain it, don't pay for it and it ends up on CL half dead (I've bought a car from a high school kid before and it was nearly unsalvageable). The other problem is that when people are handed things they often don't appreciate what they have, being that you payed for your car you don't have this problem. People under 21 also generally like to think that because they have a BMW they're speed racer or are somehow better than their peers. Also, just about EVERY kid will eventually get in some form of an accident with their first car, so why ruin a nice BMW?

Last edited by EverydayGetaway; 12-04-2012 at 01:31 AM.
EverydayGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #230
TArse

My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_E46Fan View Post
I seriously dont understand whats wrong with the fact that someone younger owns an e46. Most of us care and baby our e46's. We (most of us) dont rice them out or destroy the meaning of an e46. I just find it hard to accept the fact that you guys complain about younger people driving your car. Im 17 and have a 330ci...there i said it finally. BUT i pay for everything. My parents dont give me a dime to use. So that means i actually bought it, pay maintenance, mods, insurance, gas, and anything else. That pretty much covers what all you guys bash on us for. I enjoy being on the forums and learning about my e46 more and more everyday. So, what is the big problem? Seriously.
There is no problem.
For me I think it's great that younger people save and work hard for their car. It's what I did, I was a little older than you (19) , working and going to college.

But it does get kind of annoying (no offense) hearing people go on and on about how they bought their car with their money. It's just like "okay, so did 99.999% of people".

The other thing that gets me annoyed is the snotty kids who get everything handed to them.

All in all. There is no problem these guys are just giving y'all ****. Kinda like when you're "the new guy" in a group.
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #231
stevodotorg

My Ride: 02 325i - Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotVANOS? View Post
bought mine for 4k and did all the work by myself. I pay for gas and insurance( I dont have collision. Im now regretting it because my friend crashed my car into a curb. NEVER let ANYONE drive your car.)
its got 240,000 on the OD so Im looking in to dooing a M54B30 swap. that will be my next big venture.
Holy crap that's a lot of miles, good call on the swap man, and good luck, I'm at 170 and replacing my engine as we speak, it's not pretty (and hopefully you won't have the kind of bad luck I've been having).

Thanks to all e46fanatics and other BMW forum users, without the community, our wallets would be more empty than they already are.
I do ECU Coding, contact me.
stevodotorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #232
stevodotorg

My Ride: 02 325i - Manual
You know, something I did, and I'll thank my mom forever for, is as soon as I turned 18, she started helping me build my credit. I think that's the best thing a parent can do is teaching their kids about credit. Because of this, I ended up being able to get a great deal when I purchased my e46. It's paid off now, but I wouldn't have been able to do it without her help. I have too many friends today with bad credit, and they can barely afford to keep their cars. Good credit makes a big difference (sadly) in the world we live in today. Kudos to all of you young drivers out there on this forum, then again, I'm pretty young too still.. but who cares about age, right? we are all here together to help out each other and lift each other up, I don't know where I would be without this forum with all of the awesome people in it!

Thanks to all e46fanatics and other BMW forum users, without the community, our wallets would be more empty than they already are.
I do ECU Coding, contact me.
stevodotorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #233
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
I was in high school when I had my 323. Local auction pick up, came with a bunch of M parts (side mirrors, seats, ZHP shiftknob, black grill, clear sidemarkers/corners/taillights speakers and painted trim) and I decided to continue where the previous owner left off.

I had a lot of fun with that car. It was fun to drift in the winter time, my friend's would go in groups of 3, 4 or more and all drift together. There's no wax on, wax off with drifting. You learn by doing it. How you drift is who you are.

Tokyo Drift quotes aside, I miss that car. I drive the M in a far more respecting manner because, it doesn't get 24MPGs like the 323 did, it's worth about 5-6 times as much, and it's...well...an M3. I respect this car a lot. In my eyes, it is THE perfectly engineered vehicle. It's comfortable, quick, stylish, rare, and extremely well respected by anyone who knows a thing about cars. Even the girls love it.

But, spirited driving is always good fun too. The motor needs a workout, afterall, it wasn't built to be driven under 3,000RPMs all the time.

Last edited by PH03NIX46; 12-04-2012 at 02:10 AM.
PH03NIX46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #234
rfyu

My Ride: 09 kawasaki ninja250
Send a message via AIM to rfyu
e46 are so inexpensive now that its accessible to practically everyone including high school kids.
i know i could have afforded one when i was in high school but i didnt like the image of having a bmw so in high school i went through with buying an unsafe salvaged g35coupe first and then switching to a little celica afterwards. the price i sold the celica for a couple weeks ago, with its older model year, higher mileage, and 45 less horsepower, completely paid for the 330ci i just picked up. bmw depreciation is kind of notorious though

Last edited by rfyu; 12-04-2012 at 05:15 AM.
rfyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #235
NOVAbimmer

the only thing that bothers me is people young and old alike (but generally not the older crowd so much) who treat buying a BMW like some kind of major life accomplishment.

Say it with me now: It's. Just. A. Car.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #236
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
the only thing that bothers me is people young and old alike (but generally not the older crowd so much) who treat buying a BMW like some kind of major life accomplishment.

THIS! x1000!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Bimmer App
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #237
M3JetBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post

Completely agree! Or they buy it for the "look at me" factor. But are most of the younger ones on HERE like that? I have seen many young people create some amazing DIY's or post something helpful. Many of these younger people who are total Dbags and act like they have a super car are usually not on any forums cause they dont maintain their car. So why do older people treat younger ones like sh!it on the forums? The younger ones have to learn somehow. right?

6MT / Black Interior / Black Kidney / Black Gills / Kinesis K27 18x10.5 18x12 / ST Coilovers / TMS Camber Plates / Rogue El Diablo / AP Headers / AR25 / VCSL / CSL Diffuser / Iconz Front Lip / OEM LED Taillights / Orion V2 / MotorWerks Tuned / Alpha N / Nexus 7 / V1 Stealth

- Washington State -
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #238
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_E46Fan View Post
Completely agree! Or they buy it for the "look at me" factor. But are most of the younger ones on HERE like that? I have seen many young people create some amazing DIY's or post something helpful. Many of these younger people who are total Dbags and act like they have a super car are usually not on any forums cause they dont maintain their car. So why do older people treat younger ones like sh!it on the forums? The younger ones have to learn somehow. right?
Read thread title. Also look at the thread that inspired this one.

Yes, people HERE, in this bastion of rational youth, are like that.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #239
ReallyDirtyThirty

My Ride: '03 330Ci
12 pages and no pics of your 18 year old girlfriends?!
ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #240
M3JetBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDirtyThirty View Post
12 pages and no pics of your 18 year old girlfriends?!
Thats in the off topic thread duh. Look for posts by Griffin

- Washington State -

Tags
325, dmax furry chest, fags, high school parking lot, homosexual, m54, spoiled, this thread is dildoes