E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
bkriaras1

My Ride: 2002.5 m3
Exclamation service engine and smg light on. PLEASE advise

so i am driving, and all of the sudden my smg light comes on and service engine light. Car was driving good until it would periodically jump into neutral ,and i would have to give it gas but sometimes it would get back into gear and pop into neutral again. Now the lights are still on and the car drives fine but dont want to take the chance... any thoughts, anyone ever experience this?

thanks

///02 Alpine White SMG ///
bkriaras1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Get the codes read. Report back.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Tripping into N while driving sounds like the hydraulic temp sensor issue. Get the codes read to confirm as illest suggested, but there's a thread for a workaround for that issue. Very dangerous if not looked after.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Misfit77

My Ride: 03 M3
I am going through the same thing on my 04 M3 SMG with 65K, it is in fact the hydraulic temp sensor. Run through this list before listening to anyone and shelling out $$$ for pump replacement. Salmon Relay/Hood Sensor, Fan sensor/relay, Water Temp sensor, waterpump/thermo, HCU (Hydrolic Control Unit) temp sensor. Don't run the A/C when it's above 90 (I know, that's the point of A/C) until you get this fixed. It could end up becoming dangerous as shifting will disengage when you are in the middle of an intersection. BMW is aware and won't do a recall. They ditched the SMG because of this known issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0216.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	459482  
Misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
bkriaras1

thanks, this definitely helps.

the ligths have gone away since then... but ill replace those items first. Do you have any idea on how much those items cost.

you been a great help!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Misfit77

Mine is on and off as well. Like I said, If the engine gets too hot, that's when it usually happens for me. IMO I think if we can keep all the cooling systems in check we may be able to avoid the problem.

Salmon relay is 11$ on ECS tuning
Engine temp sensor- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=65&fg=70&hl=1
Water/ Oil temp sensor for tranny- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...23&fg=10&hl=30
Temp sensor Water/oil for cooling system - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&hg=11&fg=35
Water Pump- http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/water_pump/bmw/m3.html
Thermostat- http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...ng/Thermostats

Hope this helps.
Also check out this thread, really helped me.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=276958&page=2
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=280927&page=2
Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
I know there's a resistor mod for the hydraulic temp sensor to basically take it of play. You can do a search for the DIY, I think it's called SMG fix or something like that.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
bkriaras1

now my ac isnt working whats next

Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Misfit77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkriaras1 View Post
now my ac isnt working whats next
From what I know about German engineering, everything is tied together. This car is loaded with sensors and fail-safes. This is just a guess, but I'd say something with your engines cooling system has failed, and it's telling the ECU not to allow the driver to use A/C because that will speed up the overheating process of your engine. If I were you I'd have the car hooked up to autologic, or some other reader and pull the codes. I wouldn't drive that car at all until you find out what the problem is. You don't want to go from bad to disaster. See if you pull any codes like 'engine temp implausible', if you do, I'd start with the list I posted and get your cooling system sorted out. Don't blow your engine!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
bkriaras1

thanks man. if the ac is working again, do you advise i drive it? can i take the car to an autozone or pepboys to read the codes?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Yes you can get the codes read at autozone. In California you can't anymore. But your in Chicago so I think your good.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
Misfit77

+1 for illestminimike comment. I wouldn't advise driving it long distances. Something is obviously wrong with your engines cooling system. If you do, do not use the A/C. I know it sucks. That's what I'm forced to do until I get mine sorted out.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
cgaluski

My Ride: 04 M3
Car: 04 M3 vert SMG II

i am experiencing the same intermittent fault that was addressed above

this has happened about 4 times in the last 1000 miles. the cog light would come on and the smg would eventually shift to neutral for about 3-5 sec before popping back in gear. i just completed a 200 mile trip non-stop mostly on the highway and did not have any issues until i was in city traffic (shifting frequently).

I had the computer scanned at the BMW dealer and saw the following codes which may be related:

0038 SMG: On period, hydraulic unit (OBD#P1717)
0069 DME: signal, engine, temperatur, implausible
00B1 DME: MIL lights up as result of request by SMG
00E6 DME: Electric throttle: setpoint/ actual value deviation

other notes: i have replaced the salmon relay. I have ~64K miles. i recently received the inspection II service and i saw this light go on shortly thereafter. When the dealer scanned the computer they did not provide me any worthwhile insight to the problem since i'm sure their best interest would be to sell me a whole new hydraulic unit...

this is a very intermittent issue. i truly love this car, but if i am looking at a $3-4K tranny job i may just trade it in or sell it as-is.

it sounds like this is a frequent symptom for SMGs... did anyone find a solution yet?? if it is a temp sensor issue is there DIY and part # for the sensor??
Thanks
cgaluski is offline   Reply With Quote