E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
PANDAemic

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
Oil issues and questions

Somewhat newer hear! I recently purchased a 2000 323i Sedan and previously never owning a BMW or a luxury car, I'm somewhat in the dark on all this. I've been reading around the forum for various things and for the most part I found out what I want to know about most of the things I'm concerned about. So I just have a few questions about oil.

First of is, my car is leaking oil. I'm going to get it checked out this Saturday but I read on another BMW forum that E46's tend to leak oil when its overfilled. I went to get my oil capped off because it's been leaking for a bit and I don't feel safe driving when I noticed the dipstick indicator said I have too much oil in it. Is this true, can my engine start to leak if its somewhat overfilled? I've never changed the oil on the car yet and pretty much I'm going from whatever the dealer had in it.

Second question is I have 124,xxx miles on the car and it's fairly older. What oil would you recommend I use to keep the engine healthy and alive as long as possible? I heard that E46's tend to go bad after you hit over 100,000 miles. This had me a little worried.

EDIT: I never checked if the car was leaking because I bought the car from a dealer and I just assumed that it wouldn't leak. Next time I know better...

Last edited by PANDAemic; 06-28-2012 at 04:37 PM.
PANDAemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
How much is it overfilled? The leak is usually from a gasket failure somewhere or too much crankcase pressure, not overfilling. Overfilling usually causes foaming of the oil as the crank beats it up like a eggbeater. Any dealer warranty?

Jim

Last edited by Jim Murphy; 07-02-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
PANDAemic

It's barely overfilled. No dealer warrenty unfortunately but I took it to my mechanic over the weekend, I'm going to pick up the car today. I hope it's good news.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
hey op i sent you a pm
Old 07-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
PANDAemic

Got it, thanks!