E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
HPF's new Denso Racing Plugs plus OEM Coils

Hi, Chris. Can you our your employees discuss your experiances with the new Denso racing plugs and OEM coils?

1) Are you still recommending NOT to use Okadas in any situation?

2) Are the curves looking much better on "0" smoothing now? They were pretty jagged on Okadas at high boost.

3) Are you retaining the signal enough now that you can display ANY build with HP and Torque axis to the graphs?

4) Are you recommending any different plug ranges (colder/hotter) for different applications like E85 or NOS?

5) is there any reason at all to look into any of the spark boosting boxes available for BMW OEM coils? Or best to leave well enough alone?

5) Any other updates on this new system that might be of interest to us?

Thanks for looking out for us and coming up with a better (and less expensive) way of sparking our builds! I appreciate the CONSTANT research and schooling (ie AEM Infinity, CEL light software) that evolves HPF kits to be better each and every year.

Last edited by Bdave; 08-28-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
Bdave

Chris told me that HPF can no longer source the constantly back ordered plugs. Alternative method is unknown.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Nvm

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 09-01-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
The Denso "Racing" plugs we temporarily switched to we haven't been able to get for several months. Something to do with the earthquake/nuclear disaster in Japan. Once these become available again we may switch back to them.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
The Denso "Racing" plugs we temporarily switched to we haven't been able to get for several months. Something to do with the earthquake/nuclear disaster in Japan. Once these become available again we may switch back to them.
Didn't even answer the questions that was asked...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Didn't even answer the questions that was asked...
True that. I was lucky enough to get a set of those Densos. Hopefully they will be available again when I need a new set. IDK how long they are supposed to last.

It would be nice to know what options are available for guys that still want to run the stock BMW coils and get good results at high boost. The Okadas just dont seem to be worth the very high cost, only to break up at high boost.
HPF cant even get a good signal from them to post a torque curve. Wasn't that the reason?
Maybe HPF is still exploring other options until those special Denso can be sourced again. I hope they are not going back to expensive and not so effective OKADAS. I really have no idea.

I figured Chris would post when he had something more to say about the whole thing.

I know HPF has been bugging a company to developed a set of coils that would solve many issues with HPF high boost kits. IDK how that is going or if that whole idea is dead. It would nice if it eventually happened.

Last edited by Bdave; 09-04-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
Bdave: Do you by any chance have the Denso number off the plug?

00 Jet Black 323i 5MT - Fuel Saver

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
Bdave: Do you by any chance have the Denso number off the plug?
No. I will try to get it
It might be IXU01-27. Pricey at 26 to 35 dollars EACH.One guy mentions Densos ixu27 as a MUCH cheaper option at 6 dollars a plug. IDK. The racing plugs are for FI and last 25k miles, so its not the end of the world if they deliver the goods.
see this in the FI section:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=350295

I cant confirm yet that this is what HPF recommends. Very possible since the plug fits our cars.

Last edited by Bdave; 09-05-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Providence

My Ride: HPF Stage 3 m3
Send a message via MSN to Providence
My m&w pro16 just arrived today . I forwarded the installation manuel to John so he can get me the pinouts needed from hpf harness. Once he fwds me the info I will be installin it it will be runin 105 mj under 15 psi and 150mj over it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
exciting
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Commanderwiggin

^ Awesome Providence!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
My m&w pro16 just arrived today . I forwarded the installation manuel to John so he can get me the pinouts needed from hpf harness. Once he fwds me the info I will be installin it it will be runin 105 mj under 15 psi and 150mj over it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
That is just great. So, are you going to do a dyno run to compare smoothness of power curves? (Before and after)

The dyno graph of the Stage 3 with Okadas and zero smoothing gets pretty jagged at high RPM.

What is your current set up?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #13
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
No. I will try to get it
It might be IXU01-27. Pricey at 26 to 35 dollars EACH.One guy mentions Densos ixu27 as a MUCH cheaper option at 6 dollars a plug. IDK. The racing plugs are for FI and last 25k miles, so its not the end of the world if they deliver the goods.
see this in the FI section:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=350295

I cant confirm yet that this is what HPF recommends. Very possible since the plug fits our cars.
correct
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #14
jstaylor

My Ride: 04 M3 HPF Stg2 vert
Amazon has them:

http://www.amazon.com/Denso-IXU01-27.../dp/B000M6SSRO
jstaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
Commanderwiggin

I used to run the IXU27 plug until I was given a set of the IXU01-27 Racing Plugs. In the time I've had them I've had random misfires (most likely coil related) but will be swapping coils soon to see if that solves the issue. I pulled the plugs two days ago to have a look at them and noticed that the tip of the plugs has started to rotate a few degrees it seems...not sure if its normal but I'll be keeping an eye on them. Another thing I noticed was the copper caps that make the connection to the coil are screw on and were all slightly loose and I had to tighten them. Unsure what that's all about, never had to do that with any other spark plug before.

So far I've had the plugs for about 4000km...I went from a brand new set of IXU27 gapped plugs to the IXU01-27's...didn't notice anything amazing but they worked. I'm currently looking into a totally new ignition as apparently the Okadas have had issues?!?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
Providence

My Ride: HPF Stage 3 m3
Send a message via MSN to Providence
Quote:
That is just great. So, are you going to do a dyno run to compare smoothness of power curves? (Before and after)

The dyno graph of the Stage 3 with Okadas and zero smoothing gets pretty jagged at high RPM.

What is your current set up?

I got oem bosch coils atm , okadas r gone. We will fine tune the car over 20 psi now since we could not do it with okadas due to misfirin. I will put the new dyno chart after we r done with the tune.
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
I got oem bosch coils atm , okadas r gone. We will fine tune the car over 20 psi now since we could not do it with okadas due to misfirin. I will put the new dyno chart after we r done with the tune.
This whole Okada thing is so weird I cant tell you. All along I was under the impression that they were some sort of super coil capable of great things.
Then I found out that they basically were not very good, especially at high boost. If HPF showed a dyno graph at high boost/high RPM with 0 smoothing, it would look pretty jagged in that area...over 6k RPM as I recall. The coils couldnt even send a proper signal to record torque(reason for HPF dyno runs not showing ft lbs of torque.)

Thankfully, HPF has been on the case, trying for years(I think) to get a coil developed for our cars. That will happen some day soon I hope. In the mean time, as many of you might recall, HPF no longer recommends Okadas at ALL any more. They found out that regular BMW OEM coils (fresh ones I would imagine) used with these 30 dollar Denso Racing plugs was a better option. The Denso IXU01-27. I am curious how the MUCH less expensive IXU27 would do in a comparison back to back dyno run.

One thing the racing plugs supposedly have going for them is longevity in a high boost environment. Life time of 25k miles or two years has been reported. IF that is indeed true, then that takes a lot of the sting out of the initial cost.

Other options are Pro EFI coils with SAAD brackets. But you have to get your HPF DME coil trigger re programmed. And the expense is considerable compared to simply using the DensoIXU27's or IXU01-27.

Sorry for the long post but I re hashed old news since some readers may have missed the whole Okada junking. It was not heavily discussed really.
The story is far from over. There has not been a whole lot of E46 HPF history on the use of these plugs. I dont even recall seeing a single dyno graph. Can anyone provide one?

Then there is a whole slew of spark boosters on the market or you can completely change your entire ignition system. I hope the simplest and least EXPENSIVE solution works just fine...OEM coils + Denso racing plugs.

That's why I started this thread. To see how many guys were actually using them with OEM coils that are reasonably fresh. And how LONG are the OEM coils going to hold up with the Denso's? All good questions dont you think?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #18
Evil Twin Rob

My Ride: 2004 M3
Sh!t, so who wants to buy some Okadas?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #19
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob View Post
Sh!t, so who wants to buy some Okadas?
Sell them on M3forum. they are clueless to HPF news for the most part.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #20
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Sell them on M3forum. they are clueless to HPF news for the most part.
I sold mine on eBay.. They went for $226 bucks..was almost worth just keeping them at that amount.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote