E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #41
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
Yes on the weave options.

Chris.
Excellent, thanks again Chris.
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
Old 07-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #42
Mr.Jack

My Ride: M3
In for pics. Will consider parting with my Asuka hood if this one is right.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #43
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
Excellent, thanks again Chris.
You are welcome. I can't wait to get this product done and get it on both of our race cars as well as out to all of you.

Chris.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #44
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jack View Post
In for pics. Will consider parting with my Asuka hood if this one is right.
Sounds good Mr. Jack... Once we confirm on a design and most people on the forums like it then I will start taking deposits.

Chris.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #45
swaggerwagon

My Ride: 2005 330i
will this be made for the E46 sedan as well. not many well fitting options out there other then the M3 bulge with vents

3 Pedals FTW

BMW level 2 Tech

Ebay headers | Long tube CAI | modbargains ///M pedal covers | SS clutch line | CDV removed | Turner camber arms | Meyle HD FCABs | uuc poly motor/trans mounts | Eurospec Muffler | Clutch masters Stage 2 with aluminum flywheel | Coilover kit | CSL front bumper | Z4m shift lever | VISracing CF hood | Depo HID w/CCFL halo rings
Old 07-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #46
cloudm3

My Ride: 2006 M3 Convertible
I'm in but need to see pics first
Apex Arc-8 Wheels (F 18x9.5" ET22, R 18x10" ET25) | Hankook RS-3 (F 265/35/18, and R 275/35/18) | Dinan Front Strut Bar | AC Schnitzer Spoiler | AC Schnitzer Pedals and Brake Handle | Eibach Anti-Roll Kit | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Gintani Stage 2 SC Kit (8 lbs) | Brembo Front BBK (355mm) | AutoSolutions Short Shifter (30% reduction kit) | ST Coilover Suspension | Fabspeed Sport Headers | Ground Control Camber Plates | Vis Racing CF GTR Hood
Old 07-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #47
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggerwagon View Post
will this be made for the E46 sedan as well. not many well fitting options out there other then the M3 bulge with vents
The first hood will be just for the coupe.

Chris.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #48
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFloM3AtLA View Post
I'm in but need to see pics first
Sounds good. Pics coming soon.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #49
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
I'm not sure when we will do the Sedan. I'll keep you posted on that.

Chris.
Chris,

I will be interested when you do come up with ones for facelift sedans. Not sure when that will happen, but if it does, I will be looking very seriously at your product if it is available
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #50
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Update: We will have hood designs for review next Monday/Tuesday.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #51
0-60motorsports

Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Quote:
Update: We will have hood designs for review next Monday/Tuesday.
That's great.
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
Old 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #52
m3816

My Ride: M3 e46
What happen to those pictures?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #53
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

We met with the company that is designing and building our carbon fiber hoods earlier this week. They brought a lot of great ideas. The drawings below are their conceptual ideas before they take it to CAD. I'd like to hear your freeback on these concepts below and the hood designs as I want to maximize the overall market for our hoods.

My Requirements
  • It MUST be AGRESSIVE!!
  • It MUST work for most E46's.
  • It MUST have strong internal webbing to support the attachment points to the rear hinges so the hood doesn't flex when you open and close it
  • It MUST have a super strong hood latch so that no hood pins are needed
  • It MUST have venting on both sides
  • It MUST be fade resistant
  • It MUST be blemish free so the hood can be run without paint
  • It MUST simply bolt on without modifications
  • Vents should be less wide but more of them
  • Vents should be in a location that doesn't affect the electronics
  • Hood should seal to the rubber strip at the top of the hood that seals in the electronics.
  • HPF Should be embossed on the underside of the hood in a clean manner that is noticeable if you look but doesn't stand out

Their Ideas
  • The aftermarket hoods on the market are simply a copy of the factory hood and can be better designed using the full capabilities of composites and re-designing the hood from scratch.
  • With the center section lowered and the webbing removed like it is on some aftermarket hoods, the torsional reinforcement is gone. This causes the fluttering of the hood in the back.
  • Torsion beams on the underside of the hood must tie the rear hinge points to the front hinge points. These designs are shown in the pictures below.
  • Core material should be designed into the hood to provide these torsion beams. This core material is extremely lightweight and provides extreme rigity.
  • Some hood designs below also add a structural reinforcement on top of the hood (the lip running from side to side) as well to make it extremely strong and also provide downforce.
  • Molded in vents should be produced in such a way that they are sharp and clear cut. Other aftermarket hoods have vents that have slow radiused curves into the vents which makes them look not as aggressive.
  • The sides of the hood should retain the original 4 rubber bump stops that allow the hood to lock in snugly against the body of the car.
  • The underside of the hood should be as amazing to look at as the top side. You can see separation between the top and bottom parts of the hood on many of these aftermarket hoods out there and as a result the hoods are not as strong. When the hood is designed as one composite piece you get an extremely strong hood that is very lightweight.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #54
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Is there a clearance issue? Does a non bulged hood not fit on an m3? Is the bulge for looks or clearance?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #55
0-60motorsports

Pics 1, 2 & 8 look awesome but I think there should be two versions, one with the Center intake and one without but both with side vents.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #56
m3816

My Ride: M3 e46
Kudos for coming up with a new product. The last hood looks good IMO with out the modification of the oem m3 dome. Are the following desgins final?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #57
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Chris, it sounds like you have given this SERIOUS thought and I see why the price is set where it is. I would pay this. I think the value would be very good.

These hoods are spectacular in looks and design! They really stand out from anything that has ever been marketed up to now.

I am liking the longer shaped vents such as drawing #1. It helps give the car a less squat look. I like #3 and #6 too. I am not a big fan of any SS mesh even tough its practical. It kills the aggressive look.

You may end up offering 2 versions at least. I cant say I hate any of them except when SS mesh is involved.

But, you know, its really hard to tell with out seeing it ON the car. Can you get the artist to show these mounted on a coupe(and a convertible)? The length of the louvers give stlying cues that really need to be seen as part of a whole car so it can be put in context.

Will there be an option to purchase rain vent guards/covers for long periods of standing outside in the rainy season?

Last edited by Bdave; 08-02-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #58
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Replicate vorsteiner design imo.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #59
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
I really dislike hood vents.

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #60
basar13

My Ride: Z4M, R8, 525xd, STI
First one looks great and unique.... I would buy it..