E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #101
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1ner View Post
Thanks brotha. I had my body guy make it to go with the lines of our cars. I also deleted the vent towards the back of the hood and replaced the bigger e46 bmw emblem with a smaller z4 emblem to give it a longer stretched look.
Oh yeah. There are a lot of changes. i see it now. I like the front a lot...the part where it angles over the headlights...subtle but aggressive.

The vent delete does help make it look stretched. But isnt that vent kind of important for something? Isnt that the AC intake where it goes through a cabin filter? Well, if you have survived with out one for so long I guess its not critical.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #102
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1ner View Post
Thanks brotha. I had my body guy make it to go with the lines of our cars. I also deleted the vent towards the back of the hood and replaced the bigger e46 bmw emblem with a smaller z4 emblem to give it a longer stretched look.
I like the vent delete the most. I didn't even notice that before.

My favorite body modifications are the ones you barely notice.. ones that clean up the lines, or accentuate them.. not bastardize them.

Seriously man.. looks awesome!

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #103
pilot1ner

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Oh yeah. There are a lot of changes. i see it now. I like the front a lot...the part where it angles over the headlights...subtle but aggressive.

The vent delete does help make it look stretched. But isnt that vent kind of important for something? Isnt that the AC intake where it goes through a cabin filter? Well, if you have survived with out one for so long I guess its not critical.
Yea thats what I go for subtle but aggressive. I dont like if someone has never seen the OEM bodystyle for them to say "I like what you did with the hood." I want it to look like it came from the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I like the vent delete the most. I didn't even notice that before.

My favorite body modifications are the ones you barely notice.. ones that clean up the lines, or accentuate them.. not bastardize them.

Seriously man.. looks awesome!
Thanks bro. Just wait till the wide body is done. Im keepin the clean OEM look!

Last edited by pilot1ner; 08-08-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #104
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
how about an oil cooler under the front center portion of the hood on top or just in front of the top of the Radiator. Make kidney grill inserts and rework that air plastic piece that went to the OEM air box to instead direct air straight through that oil cooler mounted right there under the hood. Have that air passing through the intercooler vent out a rectangular cut out in the hood. The oil cooler mounted at like a 45 degree angle and have a depression in the hood where the hood vent cut out lines up almost flush with the oil cooler.

kinda like this but further forward

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 08-08-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #105
M3LIKECHIPS

My Ride: Prius
Id be more interested in their idea of a trunk and diffuser.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #106
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm making my final decision by 1pm tomorrow (Thursday). Here's the direction I'm leaning after evaluating everything. I'm not going to be able to please everyone on this hood so my goal is to get the highest percentage of people wanting to buy it. So keep that in mind. I want to meet all of the requirements I mentioned and provide the highest quality hood on the market. Based on the feedback I've received I think I'm "not" going to have any side vents in the hood. They don't serve any "real" aerodynamic benefit, they allow water to get into the engine bay unless you block them off which is a pain to do and negates the benefit, and manufacturers aren't putting them into high performance cars either. I like the powerdome idea but I prefer the recessed look. So I'm thinking of making the center powerdome area follow the same lines as it does on the factory M3 but recessing the center section like it is on the HPF M3 with a vent for cooling that can be closed up if necessary. I'm also considering smoothing the sharp edges on line that goes from the front corner of the windshield to the kidney grill.

This is your last chance to help us with your feedback so please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 09-05-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #107
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Function is form. The manufactures aren't making 1000hp turbo kits either. Unless you want to compare a hpf car to a production car. The hood has to work from an engineering point of view. If it doesn't, it might as well be a sticker. This is just my opinion. You can drive without a hood in the rain. Is anyone buying this sh!t? If water could effect anything within your engine bay, everytime you drive in the rain you would be fvcked. Wake up!

Last edited by xixixi; 09-05-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #108
Hockeyguy02

My Ride: E46 m3
^ agreed.

CarbonBlackCinnamon
30% Tint/Black Grilles And Gills/CF Wrapped Trim/MeganRacingExhaust/DepoSmokedCorners
Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #109
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Function is form. The manufactures aren't making 1000hp turbo kits either. Unless you want to compare a hpf car to a production car. The hood has to work from an engineering point of view. If it doesn't, it might as well be a sticker. This is just my opinion. You can drive without a hood in the rain. Is anyone buying this sh!t? If water could effect anything within your engine bay, everytime you drive in the rain you would be fvcked. Wake up!
Take a deep breath and let it out.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 09-05-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #110
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
There would be two types I would buy...a style similar to the vorsteiner with an accented power dome...or a complete OEM style with improvements such as strength, weight, etc...lots of people would want a carbon fiber OEM replica as...well it's like the OEM version except better lol. I do not like the idea of a recessed area.

Then again...I hear two power domes > all

Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #111
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm making my final decision by 1pm tomorrow (Thursday). Here's the direction I'm leaning after evaluating everything. I'm not going to be able to please everyone on this hood so my goal is to get the highest percentage of people wanting to buy it. So keep that in mind. I want to meet all of the requirements I mentioned and provide the highest quality hood on the market. Based on the feedback I've received I think I'm "not" going to have any side vents in the hood. They don't serve any "real" aerodynamic benefit, they allow water to get into the engine bay unless you block them off which is a pain to do and negates the benefit, and manufacturers aren't putting them into high performance cars either. I like the powerdome idea but I prefer the recessed look. So I'm thinking of making the center powerdome area follow the same lines as it does on the factory M3 but recessing the center section like it is on the HPF M3 with a vent for cooling that can be closed up if necessary. I'm also considering smoothing the sharp edges on line that goes from the front corner of the windshield to the kidney grill.

This is your last chance to help us with your feedback so please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Chris.

Chris,

Thanks for making this process public, and giving enthusiasts the chance to participate in the design process.

Whatever you decide on, I think the focus on quality is going to sell more units than how it looks over time.

Nice idea for the central radiator venting.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #112
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
I had a vent with my old hood right over where the AEM is mounted, and in the rain, this would cause the car to act very strange.

Also, rain through vents gets your engine bay very dirty, pretty fast.

Last edited by MSpired; 09-06-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #113
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
I had a vent with my old hood right over where the AEM is mounted, and in the rain, this would cause the car to act very strange.

Didnt Vorstiener or one of the companies make rain COVERS for the vents?

I would really like to see plenty of louvers to vent out heat to keep COILS and those of us with SMG pumps. COOL. Engine heat is DEATH to SMG pumps. Will not vents help keep under hood temps much lower???

While I DO like the look of NO vents, the practicality outweighs so many things IMO.

It cant be that big of a deal to make covers for the vents that can be firmly secured, even while the car is moving in a big rain storm.... or parked outside in the rain.
Chris, will you consider this? make the covers OPTIONAL to keep the base price down.

It is another engineering obstacle, BUT necessary IMO!

If you dont put vents in I would not be interested in buying the hood.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #114
Bdave

Quote:

Didnt Vorstiener or one of the companies make rain COVERS for the vents? Even with screens, I can see my engine bay totally filling up with debris. I dont have a garage and covering the car everytime is a HUGE PITA. But I could snap some hood louver covers on in a jiffy.

I would really like to see plenty of louvers to vent out heat to keep COILS and those of us with SMG pumps..... COOL. Engine heat is DEATH to SMG pumps. Coils LOVE cool air. Will not vents help keep under hood temps much lower???

How many people want to buy a performance hood for its COOLING effect? How many want to buy it for appearance only or simply weight reduction?

I dont know if an informal poll was taken for the main CRITERIA for wanting a performance hood...any performance hood. Everyone likely has a different reason. Mine is primarily is a significant under hood temperature reduction.
IDK what percentage that represents!

While I DO like the look of NO vents, the practicality of vents outweighs so many things IMO.

It cant be that big of a deal to make covers for the vents that can be firmly secured, even while the car is moving in a big rain storm.... or parked outside in the rain.
Chris, will you consider this? make the covers OPTIONAL to keep the base price down?

It is another engineering obstacle, BUT necessary IMO!

If you dont put vents in I MAY not be interested in buying the hood. It depends on the level of under hood COOLING.

Chris, you said: "So I'm thinking of making the center powerdome area follow the same lines as it does on the factory M3 but recessing the center section like it is on the HPF M3 with a vent for cooling that can be closed up if necessary."

I dont see how anything short of VENTS like the old Vorstiener hood is going to significantly reduce under hood temps.
Please convince me that I am wrong and I would be interested in your NON louvered version of the hood.

All I want is a significant under the hood temp drop. I don't care how it is done!!
To tell you the truth, I am not a huge fan of louvered vents from an appearance point of view.If you can attain the SAME temp drop using a different system than louvers, then bring it on! I dont see how, especially if the car is standing still.

Last edited by Bdave; 09-06-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #115
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
I want vents too... and a power dome
Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #116
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:

Then you have sh!tty connectors/connections. That isn't a vented hood issue, it's electrical. I will leave my car running and power wash everything, if you are going through as much water as a commerical power washer can move. Your gonna need a bigger boat.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #117
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Washing the AEM is definately not recommended lol...and its common knowledge that the connectors on the first design are crap.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #118
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
If your goal is to power wash your engine with after market electronics you'd better be using mil spec connectors... I wouldn't even power wash my engine if it was 100% oem.. I hand wash them gently.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #119
HPF Kirk
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
If your goal is to power wash your engine with after market electronics you'd better be using mil spec connectors... I wouldn't even power wash my engine if it was 100% oem.. I hand wash them gently.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #120
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Then you have sh!tty connectors/connections. That isn't a vented hood issue, it's electrical. I will leave my car running and power wash everything, if you are going through as much water as a commerical power washer can move. Your gonna need a bigger boat.
I have seen and spoken to so many people over my lifetime that have done the same stupid thing with not so lucky results. ha ha. I don't think the manufacturers intended on the entire engine compartment being submerged in water.

Chris.
Closed Thread