E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #121
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Chris,

Thanks for making this process public, and giving enthusiasts the chance to participate in the design process.

Whatever you decide on, I think the focus on quality is going to sell more units than how it looks over time.

Nice idea for the central radiator venting.
Thanks. And thanks for the ideas everyone else as we've taken all of it in. We are going to produce a documentary video of the design and implementation processes as well as the manufacturing and ultimate release of the hood. We should have the first hoods ready for sale before Xmas.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 09-06-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #122
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
I have seen and spoken to so many people over my lifetime that have done the same stupid thing with not so lucky results. ha ha. I don't think the manufacturers intended on the entire engine compartment being submerged in water.

Chris.
That would only be possible if I filled a pool with water, my car just happened to be parked in. A power washer, is unable to duplicate that. I can say in confidence, power washer all over will cause zero problems. Unless a problem is already present, in that case it will be highlighted. I'm making a video.

Last edited by xixixi; 09-06-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #123
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
That would only be possible if I filled a pool with water, my car just happened to be parked in. A power washer, is unable to duplicate that. I can say in confidence, power washer all over will cause zero problems. Unless a problem is already present, in that case it will be highlighted. I'm making a video.
I've seen people pop nearly every electrical component on the car doing this. Relays, Fuses, sensors, electronics, computers, anything aftermarket, lighting, etc. They feel pretty stupid after doing this when I talk to them. People have even caught their cars on fire. If you want to create a following for yourself than convince people to wash their engine compartments with a hose. lol.

I recommend disconneting your battery before you wash your engine compartment and waiting a good couple hours afterwards for everything to dry out before you reconnect the battery.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 09-06-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #124
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
large amounts of cool water on a running or even turned off but hot engine will cause microscopic fractures on the areas in contact with the water as they cool much more fast than the metal below those surfaces getting cooled by the water. Yes you can crack your block this way
Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #125
xixixi
Banned User

OMFG PEOPLE WAKE UP! Most drive up washers, spray the hell out of your car top bottom etc. Do you think for any reason if there is a possible chance to "crack a block" they would be in business, unlikely. In theory when you shut a car off. The temps will rise a bit, due to the coolant not being pushed through the block. Lets say you go to a diy car wash, on the fvcking dial it says engine cleaner. The same logic implied your car is hotter a few mins after shut down. Really? no
Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #126
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
OMFG PEOPLE WAKE UP! Most drive up washers, spray the hell out of your car top bottom etc. Do you think for any reason if there is a possible chance to "crack a block" they would be in business, unlikely. In theory when you shut a car off. The temps will rise a bit, due to the coolant not being pushed through the block. Lets say you go to a diy car wash, on the fvcking dial it says engine cleaner. The same logic implied your car is hotter a few mins after shut down. Really? no
You go super star.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #127
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
You go super star.
Thanks for the support!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #128
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Chris,

Are you going to wait until you've completed the documentry to release the hood design, or will we be getting some sneak peaks before hand?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #129
xixixi
Banned User

"The following are our requirements for the HPF BMW E46 Hood.
It MUST be AGRESSIVE!!
It MUST work for most E46's.
It MUST have strong internal webbing to support the attachment points to the rear hinges so the hood doesn't flex when you open and close it
It MUST have a super strong hood latch so that no hood pins are needed
It MUST have venting on both sides
It MUST be fade resistant
It MUST be blemish free so the hood can be run without paint
It MUST simply bolt on without modifications "

You said it, I am just agreeing with you. Maybe you weren't sure then? Maybe your not sure now? Maybe you don't know?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #130
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
I don't take my car to car washes like that.. my cars have all been hand washed since day one. But I wouldn't hesitate to take a STOCK car through a wash like that ... one with all the plastic barriers underneath/etc..

My concern is with using a POWER WASHER under the hood.. not the water itself.. I don't know what mickey mouse target martha stewart edition powerwasher you use but my power washer will take up tar even on its lowest setting.

In short to suggest/advise that people do that to a modern day car is pretty careless. Especially a highly modified one with aftermarket ecu, additional vacuum plumbing, etc..

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Old 09-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #131
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ious View Post
large amounts of cool water on a running or even turned off but hot engine will cause microscopic fractures on the areas in contact with the water as they cool much more fast than the metal below those surfaces getting cooled by the water. Yes you can crack your block this way
No. Otherwise people couldn't drive in the rain.

Quote:
False. Heat takes time to transfer, and the rate depends on variables like the material, the surface area, the temperature difference, etc... Once you shut off your car, you shut off your cooling system, and the hottest areas of the engine are now going to transfer energy to other parts of the engine. Sure, the cylinder walls may cool down, but the head, parts of the block and all the other cooled parts of the engine are going to heat up.

Also, saying all pressure washers work on your engine bay isn't smart. If you didn't know, some pressure washers blast right into concrete, and nothing plastic or rubber in your engine bay will hold up to that. Worse so than the connectors though, are all the bearings on the front of your engine. Get water inside a ball bearing and it's done for.

Last edited by mkodama; 09-07-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #132
7to3_enthusiast

My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
Quote:
I wouldn't rule this theory out. It all depends on how many high stress areas the water comes in contact with. If the block is engineered properly then they added healthy radius's on any ribs or bosses added to the block to prevent these micro fractures. Even though you can't see one doesn't mean it isn't there. Then the additional heat and forces generated from pushing more power will bring this fractures to life. Just hand wash people...you spend this kind of money for a kit don't skimp on detailing the car.

...just because a car wash offers this option does not automatically mean that it's safe for you're car. A brush auto car wash scratched the hell out of my old paint job on my rx7 and I had to get it repainted. Just food for thought

04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg

Last edited by 7to3_enthusiast; 09-07-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #133
JohnBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
No. Otherwise people couldn't drive in the rain.

Driving in rain, or washing your car with the hood down is not comparable to running water directly onto an engine with an open hood.

Do you understand that much?

It can happen and I've witnessed it. When I was 16 I learned the hard way, seriously

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 09-07-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #134
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
You cannot crack your block from water hitting it! If this was the case, you would see cars on the road with cracked blocks everytime a suprise rain storm shows up. In fact I drive my car hard and usually will find a water covered section of road, nothing has happened. Heck even the paint on my block looks perfect! Sorry no ones buying it!

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 09-07-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #135
JohnBlaze

Well I had to buy a refurbed engine in my Ford Bronco 2 back in 1994 that I personally cracked the engine in when I ran a hose directly onto the engine after driving it for sometime. This same truck I took mudding many many times, the same truck I drove through 20+ yard mud puddles in fields at speed and that was never a problem. However, as soon as the water stream from a hose hit the engine I heard a definitive crack that I'll never forget, and the engine was done. I guess I'll just take your word that it can't happen, even though it actually happened to me. I realize it's not likely to happen, but it definitely can, and I personally made this mistake myself.

Tell you what, why don't you go do some highway runs then when you get home and the motors still hot, try it yourself. Video tape the whole thing and we can see what happens with yours.

additionally, I'll write it again, you cannot compare washing your car or driving in rain to pouring water directly onto the engine.

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 09-07-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #136
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
I must sell my car now since I can not pressure wash the engine bay
Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #137
Hockeyguy02

My Ride: E46 m3
F*** this s*** I'm buying a bicycle.

CarbonBlackCinnamon
30% Tint/Black Grilles And Gills/CF Wrapped Trim/MeganRacingExhaust/DepoSmokedCorners
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #138
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
I must sell my car now since I can not pressure wash the engine bay
Ever see videos of the fools on the news that try to cross a road during high water. They get a couple feet deep and their car stops running? Then the water keeps rising and sweeps their car away. Hmmm. Wonder why that happens, I thought all cars were waterproof?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #139
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Ever see videos of the fools on the news that try to cross a road during high water. They get a couple feet deep and their car stops running? Then the water keeps rising and sweeps their car away. Hmmm. Wonder why that happens, I thought all cars were waterproof?
My power washer swept my car away yesterday.. It was found 3 counties over with some stickers on it and a CF hood that was just as functional. I find this to be very common where I live. Holy sh!t, an e60 is floating across my lawn at this very moment! Chris please come up with a solution for random cars being pushed off the road by water. I'm sick of dodging these things. Is anyone reading this sh!t? How can you give this man money? Why doesn't logic exsist in this thread? This post is the best I've seen yet. I thank you for the entertainment. You have customers asking about coil/plug set ups. Yet you post about cars floating away in your own thread. You are truly amazing! You have zero renderings of the said hood, this man has zero data to back up any claim. How can you make a decision on something that you haven't even tested? How can something go into production without a prototype? Several tests to develope the correct product to the market?

Last edited by xixixi; 09-07-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #140
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
I must sell my car now since I can not use a vented hood
You said it was the rain before that was causing issues now it's a pressure washer. The real issue you have is an exposed electrical connection that is shorting out due to water. I'd assume after 100k into a car, it would run better than it did before. I'd be asking why I gave a man thousands of dollars for my car to run like **** under certain conditions b/c of the hood. You can't run a vented hood... Fixed it for ya.

Last edited by xixixi; 09-07-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Closed Thread