E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #141
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
I had a vent with my old hood right over where the AEM is mounted, and in the rain, this would cause the car to act very strange.

Also, rain through vents gets your engine bay very dirty, pretty fast.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #142
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
My power washer swept my car away yesterday.. It was found 3 counties over with some stickers on it and a CF hood that was just as functional. I find this to be very common where I live. Holy sh!t, an e60 is floating across my lawn at this very moment! Chris please come up with a solution for random cars being pushed off the road by water. I'm sick of dodging these things. Is anyone reading this sh!t? How can you give this man money? Why doesn't logic exsist in this thread? This post is the best I've seen yet. I thank you for the entertainment. You have customers asking about coil/plug set ups. Yet you post about cars floating away in your own thread. You are truly amazing! You have zero renderings of the said hood, this man has zero data to back up any claim. How can you make a decision on something that you haven't even tested? How can something go into production without a prototype? Several tests to develope the correct product to the market? Shame on you.
Are you really questioning HPF on how they produce products? From what I've seen, they do a much better job than 99% of the other aftermarket vendors out there!

How old are you? Not asking in a way to insult you, truly just curious...

Quote:
You said it was the rain before that was causing issues now it's a pressure washer. The real issue you have is an exposed electrical connection that is shorting out due to water. I'd assume after 100k into a car, it would run better than it did before. I'd be asking why I gave a man thousands of dollars for my car to run like **** under certain conditions b/c of the hood. You can't run a vented hood... Fixed it for ya.
Quote:
The vent I had on the hood was DIRECTLY above where the AEM is housed. New hood is fine. Sorry, maybe your priorities are a little skewed, but I put more weight on smooth idle and reliable power than the ability to withstand direct rain onto the AEM. From what it seems, HPF has already changed the connectors on the V2 anyways, but who cares, I'm waiting for the Infinity
Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #143
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
Are you really questioning HPF on how they produce products? From what I've seen, they do a much better job than 99% of the other aftermarket vendors out there!

How old are you? Not asking in a way to insult you, truly just curious...
So no questions asked, your in? It's important to hold people accountable on claims. IF hpf says they are making 3000hp. Your logic allows us all to believe that and accept it as fact. You're only insulting yourself.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #144
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
So no questions asked, your in? It's important to hold people accountable on claims. IF hpf says they are making 3000hp. Your logic allows us all to believe that and accept it as fact. You're only insulting yourself.
Bye drama
Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #145
mkodama

I wonder why xixixi's posts always cause a shitstorm of arguing? His claims are all so well proven and the tone of his posts are all so friendly.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #146
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I wonder why xixixi's posts always cause a shitstorm of arguing? His claims are all so well proven and the tone of his posts are all so friendly.
IDK probably cause his post about him getting his car impound and he spend the night in jail. Cause he didn't do anything wrong? (Story didn't add up)
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #147
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Tone would be subjective as a text.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #148
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
IDK probably cause his post about him getting his car impound and he spend the night in jail. Cause he didn't do anything wrong? (Story didn't add up)
Facts: Car was impounded for no front plate. Was in Jail for the booking process then was released on bail. I was taken to jail on a 30 dollar offense.My car was damaged during the tow, a claim was made the damage was in the thousands. Got the check, if there was a day to go to jail that was it! In missouri you can look it up on casenet. Aug 5th 2012 Jeffrey Jay Burke Anyone else?

Last edited by xixixi; 09-07-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #149
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
I must say xi has been a twat throughout this thread.

Gl with the hood. I expect something good.

IMAG02051
Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #150
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideracer69 View Post
I must say xi has been a twat throughout this thread.

Gl with the hood. I expect something good.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #151
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Ouch

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #152
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ious View Post
Well I had to buy a refurbed engine in my Ford Bronco 2 back in 1994 that I personally cracked the engine in when I ran a hose directly onto the engine after driving it for sometime. This same truck I took mudding many many times, the same truck I drove through 20+ yard mud puddles in fields at speed and that was never a problem. However, as soon as the water stream from a hose hit the engine I heard a definitive crack that I'll never forget, and the engine was done. I guess I'll just take your word that it can't happen, even though it actually happened to me. I realize it's not likely to happen, but it definitely can, and I personally made this mistake myself.

Tell you what, why don't you go do some highway runs then when you get home and the motors still hot, try it yourself. Video tape the whole thing and we can see what happens with yours.

additionally, I'll write it again, you cannot compare washing your car or driving in rain to pouring water directly onto the engine.

There is no way that water hitting your motor would crack the block. I have done pulls and then had my motor hit with water, a lot of water. Storms like that happen a lot here in Seattle.

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 09-07-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #153
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
That's like saying, I spit on a sponge and it's going to get as wet as if I dipped it in water. Little droplets of water over a wide spread area is not the same as having a large amount of cold water concentrated on a specific area.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #154
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
That's like saying, I spit on a sponge and it's going to get as wet as if I dipped it in water. Little droplets of water over a wide spread area is not the same as having a large amount of cold water concentrated on a specific area.
Seattle down pours is not a small little area, you can go from dry roads to 11/2 inches of rain in minutes. Motors operate and stay at a specified range, if this was a real issue motors would be designed differently.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #155
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Wow, this thread deteriorated.
I just want an answer to my question. How WELL is this new hood design that Chris wants to make with NO VENTS, going to reduce the under hood temperatures? Not just in motion, but sitting in traffic too.

I just want to stress the importance of those vents for doing such a good job of getting rid of a substantial amount of heat.

Everything under the hood is going to benefit ffrom lower temps! It is said that SMG pump failure and coil failures can be directly linked to constant exposure to excessive heat.

I just cant see how hard it would be to rig up a sliding door maybe to shut the vents off from rain or excessive road dirt/construction area etc.

I can see the importance of having an OPTION to closing the vents.

If that proves to be too expensive, then how about optional covers? Didn't Vorsteiner offer (for a while) water resistant covers for their louvered vents???

Chris, are you giving this ANY consideration or have you simply made up your mind:"No vents!"

Last edited by Bdave; 09-07-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #156
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
integrated shutters so you can open and close the vents.

lol
Old 09-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #157
M3 2 NV

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ious View Post
integrated shutters so you can open and close the vents.

lol
motorized shutters that operate on a thermostat

lets keep the ideas coming...i think we're starting to get somewhere

Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #158
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
keep your stock hood and rotate between the vented and stock hood depending on what the situation calls for. ez
Old 09-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #159
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Wow, this thread deteriorated.
I just want an answer to my question. How WELL is this new hood design that Chris wants to make with NO VENTS, going to reduce the under hood temperatures? Not just in motion, but sitting in traffic too.

I just want to stress the importance of those vents for doing such a good job of getting rid of a substantial amount of heat.

Everything under the hood is going to benefit ffrom lower temps! It is said that SMG pump failure and coil failures can be directly linked to constant exposure to excessive heat.

I just cant see how hard it would be to rig up a sliding door maybe to shut the vents off from rain or excessive road dirt/construction area etc.

I can see the importance of having an OPTION to closing the vents.

If that proves to be too expensive, then how about optional covers? Didn't Vorsteiner offer (for a while) water resistant covers for their louvered vents???

Chris, are you giving this ANY consideration or have you simply made up your mind:"No vents!"
Reread the requirements for this hood. Reducing underhood temperatures is not on the list.

That would take some engineering.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #160
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Reread the requirements for this hood. Reducing underhood temperatures is not on the list.
Ah jeez. Missed that. Well, there you go. OK OK! I should have never pursued that non existent issue.

Last edited by Bdave; 09-10-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Closed Thread