E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
daimler55

My Ride: 2000 328i
vanos problem?

i am new to this forum. i've been going to different mechanics and bmw and everyone tells me the car is fine. i have a 2000 328i sedan and the symptoms im experiencing can be a lot of things from what i understand. but i have spent a ton of money trying to fix things to have no results. car has 82k miles on it....changed water pump, thermostat, idler & tensioner pulley, water pump pulley, alternator (autobarn rebuilt), lower boot, cleaned icv and disa, air & cabin filter, control arms, ca bushings, rear bearings, flex coupler for steering. my problem is, it is summer in ny. i just bought the car two months ago. after the car sits for about a day and i start it up, the idle fluctuates and goes up and down on the first start of the day. these idle jolts are intermittent and happen every 5-10 seconds. it stalled twice during these first starts. afterwards, idles fine with no problems with acceleration or misfire or stall and no check engine lights. i dont know if this can be a vanos issue because everyone has said vanos is usually during the cold weather. i havent spent a winter with this car to know. its still summer and i have these idle issues. also the cars fuel consumption is high. i have a heavy foot, but i have had 2 e39 528's as well a e36 318ti when no issues with fuel consumption. this car seems to swallow gas highway or city driving. also when accelerating, i hear a whirring/whooshing noise like a loud fan at 2000rpm. cant pinpoint where its coming from in the engine or if its even coming from the exhaust thought it was fan clutch but that has been changed. when i start the car up, the car seems to start up like a truck engine like its heavy (hard to explain). similar to bad fan clutch where u think a large fan just got turned on. so i know it can be a list of problems from plugs to fuel pump. any help would be appreciated. not sure what version software is currently loaded on it.
daimler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Not vanos.
You probably have a problem with intake hoses and Idle Control Valve.
And check your DiSa valve as well
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
daimler55

i replaced the lower intake boot. cleaned the icv and disa
Old 09-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
MercForHire

What about the ccv
Old 09-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
daimler55

yes also replaced ccv and all hoses
Old 09-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
MercForHire

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=358494
Scan and read any codes.

I just don't think it's vanos seals. I replaced my at 125k miles and there was no difference.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
daimler55

i was thinking if its the cam position sensor...but i dont have any cel. so everytime i ask a mechanic, they tell me they cant read any codes without a cel light.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
MercForHire

The car stores past code in the memory.
Use something like PA soft 1.4
Old 09-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
daimler55

well thanks for your advice...so you think its one or both cps?