E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
whereismye30

My Ride: the bus
Some advice on getting an 330xi?

hey guys,

use to be an e30 member (convertible) had to sell cause i've got no space and we just had a baby..(went for peanuts sadly but to a good home)

i think i've found the perfect replacement but i'm just not sure if i can take the plunge... (worried about upkeep costs and seriously leaning toward getting some 2-3k subaru impreza or mazda hatch)

E46 2003 BMW 330XI Premium Pkg
autotragic (perfect for wife lol)
One previous Owner, serviced at BMW only.
Stack of receipts from the Dealer.

looking through the service records I see
Rotors/Pads
AC Service
Fuel Pump
CV Axels
Coolant/ALL Fluid Flush, etc...
CV boots
window regulators..
(looks like all the common things i read on the forums here)

body looks clean (no rust) 7.5/10
8.5/10 based on it's age

what do you guys thing?
How much is it worth?
I'm prepared to spend the 1-2K annual to maintain it.. but if i get some major problem shortly after (like a tranny failure) i'd be kicking myself..

end of the day i just need something reliable but i really miss my e30 right now lol

Last edited by whereismye30; 07-02-2012 at 02:27 PM.
whereismye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
A RWD e46 would be a much better choice. Its more reliable, costs a lot less to maintain, no vibration issues, its a much better highway cruiser, and you dont have to replace axles every 1-2 years.

The xi isn't a bad car but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
whereismye30

another quick questions, the trim on the rear doors is it supposed to bow out a little by design? like a rain gutter or something?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Thotfulspot

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
I've had a 2003 330Xi for the past year. Besides the little extra maintenance (transfer case and front differential fluids) and love it. Mostly driven by my wife so it's an auto also. Great with the little snow we had here in Chicago. I don't regret buying the Xi at all. I paid $6500.00 for mine. Book used was $1300.00.

Last edited by Thotfulspot; 07-02-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Thotfulspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
pjo33us

My Ride: 03 330xi
How many miles?
I just sold one for $11500 with 96k... very anal about maintenence. Car was in great shape.
Did not see water pump/e-tank etc on your list. Did mine at 85k ish...
Are you able to work on it yourself?

I respectfully disagree with the guy that says get a rwd car. Really? In Canada? Front axels and changing the front diff and xfer case fluids is all you need to worry about. 1 to 2 years on axels is also ridiculous. I changed one of mine at 90k... Just dont buy the cheap ones.

Also, you do not have to deal with sub frame tears as much (if ever) with an xi.

BTW, they really rock in the snow. I liked it better than our Outback or Forestor. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Need to know the mileage to really be of help... FCAB would be a concern given some of the other things you've posted there but without knowing miles, its hard to say...

And, as far as AWD vs RWD - if you live in a place where it snows, get the AWD. I'll never do RWD (for a daily driver) again unless I live in a climate where it doesn't snow.
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Like everyone else said, without mileage we can't put a price on it. Also, without personally looking over a car we can't really do much there either. No used car will be perfect, but this one looks like it has been taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereismye30 View Post
another quick questions, the trim on the rear doors is it supposed to bow out a little by design? like a rain gutter or something?
No one answered this, but yes they are supposed to function as a rain gutter.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
YiMMA2k5

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
A RWD e46 would be a much better choice. Its more reliable, costs a lot less to maintain, no vibration issues, its a much better highway cruiser, and you dont have to replace axles every 1-2 years.

The xi isn't a bad car but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
However, a cracking sub frame on RWD models is a pain in the ass as well ($1300 to fix/weld). The xi's are Mr.Plow's in the winter. even with bald tires in the snow (risky) they held up great. I myself, am a RWD purist. However, I just find it ridiculous how BMW never did anything about the Rear subframe issues. Just do me a favor, don't get one in auto. I bought an auto b/c i just didn't have the time or chance to wait any longer for another car. The car loses alot of feel and personality w/o the manual gearbox. Boy, do I miss my 6spd e90 330i sport pkg.

Last edited by YiMMA2k5; 07-14-2012 at 08:31 PM.
YiMMA2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 AM   #9
GaryGG

My Ride: BMW 330Xi & 740i
Advice on buying an XI...

whereismye30... I bought an '01 330xi last September with 127K on it for $7500. I was very comfortable with it since we've had BMWs since the late '60s and are very familiar with them in general. The only significant items I've replaced in the 10K miles since I bought it was a battery (normal wear item) and the alternator. They died within the first week and the previous owner kicked in $400 toward the repair. (VERY rare seller!!)

Otherwise, it's an excellent car with a 5-speed stick and is much more responsive than the '03 530i auto that it replaced. They came with the same motor but different gear boxes, and the xi is a few hundred pounds lighter according to the data sheets. If you get much snow, you'll appreciate it even more. We only get rain in this area just north of San Francisco. I plan on driving this for many years to come...

Gary Goodlund, "GaryGG"
Sebastopol, CA
330Xi & 740i
gggbiz@hotmail. com
GaryGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
whereismye30

thanks for the all help everyone... i ended getting my dad's car for free (2009 opel astra)... it's not an e46 but i guess it'll give me a chance to save money over the next 5-6 years and get a nice 5 series lol