E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
shaheer19

My Ride: 2004 320D E46 Saloon
DICE MEDIABRIDGE MB1500 with Brodit Holder Review

Well I have finally completed my Iphone integration. I have an Iphone 4 (iOS 5), Brodit pass through holder & a Dice Mediabridge MB1500. Thought I would post a quick review for those of you who are thinking about buying a Mediabridge unit. Here are some pics of my finished install:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bmw1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	459093

Name:	bmw2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	459094

INSTALL :

Ok this was an absolute doddle - I followed the video guides by BSW on Youtube and it was straight forward. The hardest part was releasing the bracket holding the emergency triangle in the boot - can be a b*tch to get out. Before I started I disconnected the battery just to be on the safe side. Then just follow the instructions on the videos. Very simple. For the mic I fed the wire up the passenger side A piller, across the top of the windshield and then back down the driver side A piller. Plenty of length on the wire for the mic. For the Brodit holder I connected the 'USB to Iphone cable' to the MB behind the glovebox and fed it through so it comes out below the sunglasses holder. Best to remove the sunglasses holder to do this - just a small pull will release the sunglasses holder.

PLAYING MUSIC (DOCKED):

Works as expected. Just make sure you phone is unlocked before you dock. Then you control your music either via the phone, the stereo or the steering wheel. Whilst docked, the unit will charge your phone.

PLAYING MUSIC (BLUETOOTH):

Ok this is the best thing about the unit. In bluetooth mode the system is amazing. My favorite feature is the fact the you can hold down the speaker button on the steering wheel and once the unit beeps you can use voice commands to operate your phone. For instance you can say "Play Eminem" and the phone will play songs by Eminem. You can also use this feature to select playlists, songs and albums. My phone does not have to leave my pocket in order to use this feature - amazing! If my battery is running low then I can dock the phone to charge it and select bluetooth as on the iphone. You can also listen to internet radio via various apps on available on iTunes.

MAKING CALLS:

Again you can use voice commands to make calls in Bluetooth mode. For instance you can hold down the speaker button on the steering wheel and say "Phone Home" and the phone will make a call to your home number. I have made calls and I can confirm that people can hear me loud and clear. If you receive a call the all you have to do is press the UP button on the steering wheel to answer and DOWN button to hang up. The only negative is that the text display on the stereo does not display the names of your contacts - instead it just displays the phone number.

OVERALL:

I would definitely recommend this unit for those of you who are in two minds about it. TomTom app works as you would expect by using the factory speakers and the music fades when an instruction is given out. When i get in my car I just press the speaker button and say "Play Music" and the the music resumes from where it left off. The fact that I can dock my phone and charge it if the battery is low is also very convenient and tidy.

Last edited by shaheer19; 07-03-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: grammer
shaheer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
sunilsf

My Ride: '01 325it
does Bluetooth work (i.e., for incoming calls) if you are listening to the radio?
sunilsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
shaheer19

My Ride: 2004 320D E46 Saloon
No - if you are listening to FM/AM on the BMW headunit then Bluetooth will not work - however if you are listening to Internet Radio from your iPhone (a whole host of different apps available for this) then the bluetooth feature works as expected.
shaheer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Adrian325ci

My Ride: 2006 325CI
So what would I have to buy if I ONLY want BlueTooth music streaming with Android? Does that even work? I have a MIC and all that for phone calls, just need music.
Adrian325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

My Ride: Bavsound
Great review and glad to hear you are enjoying your Mediabridge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian325ci View Post
So what would I have to buy if I ONLY want BlueTooth music streaming with Android? Does that even work? I have a MIC and all that for phone calls, just need music.
Adrian,

You would need only the Mediabridge in this case, and can select no on all of the accessories!

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/711/0//

Bavsound | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

Jeremy Bavsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Adrian325ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bavsound View Post
Great review and glad to hear you are enjoying your Mediabridge!

Adrian,

You would need only the Mediabridge in this case, and can select no on all of the accessories!

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/711/0//
Hey Jeremy,

I got a message from the guy that works there and he said I need the full kit:

1 - Yes. You would want the DICE MediaBridge kit.
2 - You will purchase the full kit. We have to install the mic that is included with the kit. The factory analog mic does not work with the new kit.

So, at this point I'm all kinds of confused

I would REALLY rather not have to remove the factory mic and replace it, since its working perfectly well with my phone and its already installed and all that good stuff.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

Quote:
Hey Jeremy,

I got a message from the guy that works there and he said I need the full kit:

1 - Yes. You would want the DICE MediaBridge kit.
2 - You will purchase the full kit. We have to install the mic that is included with the kit. The factory analog mic does not work with the new kit.

So, at this point I'm all kinds of confused

I would REALLY rather not have to remove the factory mic and replace it, since its working perfectly well with my phone and its already installed and all that good stuff.

The Mic is included with the Mediabridge, so nothing extra is to be ordered there just to be clear. You do not have to remove the factory microphone, simply run the one for the Mediabridge as well! The Dice unit is not able to interface with the factory Microphone hence the need to route the new one.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Adrian325ci

Quote:
The Mic is included with the Mediabridge, so nothing extra is to be ordered there just to be clear. You do not have to remove the factory microphone, simply run the one for the Mediabridge as well! The Dice unit is not able to interface with the factory Microphone hence the need to route the new one.
Well, so I guess the main question is... can I just keep using my factory bluetooth solution for phone calls and then use the mediabridge bluetooth solution for muisc streaming?

Or is that a bad idea?

If I'm forced to use Mediabridge for both, phone calls and music streaming, and I"m forced to use the Mediabridge MIC vs the OEM MIC, there probably isn't much purpose to keep the OEM MIC as well, correct?

Thanks again for all your help btw, I feel like I'm finally getting knowledgeable answers to my specific demands

And if I understand correctly the Mediabridge works just fine with an Android, so if I stream music through Rhapsody app on my phone for example, it should probably work just fine... do you have any info on that? I believe Rhapsody claims to support BT streaming, but I don't know if I'd be able to control the music through the steering wheel or not.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

Quote:
Well, so I guess the main question is... can I just keep using my factory bluetooth solution for phone calls and then use the mediabridge bluetooth solution for muisc streaming?

Or is that a bad idea?

If I'm forced to use Mediabridge for both, phone calls and music streaming, and I"m forced to use the Mediabridge MIC vs the OEM MIC, there probably isn't much purpose to keep the OEM MIC as well, correct?

Thanks again for all your help btw, I feel like I'm finally getting knowledgeable answers to my specific demands

And if I understand correctly the Mediabridge works just fine with an Android, so if I stream music through Rhapsody app on my phone for example, it should probably work just fine... do you have any info on that? I believe Rhapsody claims to support BT streaming, but I don't know if I'd be able to control the music through the steering wheel or not.
Adrian,

You should be able to do that yes. I can't comment on the specifics of how you will be able to switch in between the two as most people use one or the other, but that will work just fine for you. This also means there is no reason to remove the factory mic, simply have both

The Mediabridge will interface via bluetooth with Android devices, and be able to pick up signal from any App that supports bluetooth streaming, so assuming the Rhapsody app does support that you will be good to go!

Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Adrian325ci

Quote:

Or is that a bad idea?

Hmm... I assume though if I use the BMW OEM BT for Phone Calls and the Mediabridge BT for Music, that the music will probably not mute when a phone call comes in? Or does the BMW control that part... ugh... so many configurations
Old 08-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

Quote:
Hmm... I assume though if I use the BMW OEM BT for Phone Calls and the Mediabridge BT for Music, that the music will probably not mute when a phone call comes in? Or does the BMW control that part... ugh... so many configurations
Assuming you are using the same Phone to stream the audio as your are to get the incoming call on, it will automatically pause the music for you!

Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
Adrian325ci

Quote:
Assuming you are using the same Phone to stream the audio as your are to get the incoming call on, it will automatically pause the music for you!
Final question, promise

Why do I need then to run the MediaBridge MIC at all? Does the MediaBridge not function if I don't connect its MIC?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

Quote:
Final question, promise

Why do I need then to run the MediaBridge MIC at all? Does the MediaBridge not function if I don't connect its MIC?
If you do not plan on using the Mediabridge to make/receive calls you could leave it unplugged, sorry if I wasn't clear there!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
Adrian325ci

Quote:
If you do not plan on using the Mediabridge to make/receive calls you could leave it unplugged, sorry if I wasn't clear there!
No worries. Also to confirm you have no ash tray dock for an android only Iphone, is that correct?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
Adrian325ci

So is this basically what I want for the Android? (pic attached).

Also I'm not sure if the car had factory Sirius satelite, is there an easy way to find out?

Thanks again for all your help!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MediaBridge.PNG
Views:	67
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	466265  
Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

Quote:
So is this basically what I want for the Android? (pic attached).

Also I'm not sure if the car had factory Sirius satelite, is there an easy way to find out?

Thanks again for all your help!
That is exactly what you would need, no dock for androids at this time due to the inconsistency in port locations in between manufacturers. If you are not using Sirius in your vehicle currently you will not need that cable.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
Adrian325ci

Quote:
That is exactly what you would need, no dock for androids at this time due to the inconsistency in port locations in between manufacturers. If you are not using Sirius in your vehicle currently you will not need that cable.
Thanks Jeremy, I appreciate all the help, I'll most likely be ordering this shortly.

Tags
bluetooth, dice, iphone, mediabridge, review