E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Miller215

My Ride: Audi
2000 bmw 323 coupe radio kit needed

I just got my son a 2000 323 coupe but the radio screen is smashed. I think its a nav harmon kardon. Looking to replace with a double din unit but cant find wiring or mounting kit. Any direction would be great
Miller215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
jinxie

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
if you search the forum, you'll find lots of info on double-din installs, however you should be forewarned that doing so requires a significant amount of modification to make an aftermarket unit fit. If you were to pull out the stock radio and look behind it, you'd see there isn't enough room to fit a full-size double din unit in there as the air ventilation stuff is in the way. That would require buying a kit, and lots of cutting. I'm about to do this myself, probably next weekend, but so not looking forward to it. I've seen people on here who've said it's taken them as much as 8-14 hours to complete.
jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
jinxie

This is the one i bought, and after shipping (From Germany) it was somewhere around $150 bucks or so

http://www.janus-design.net/english/...gkit/index.php
Old 08-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Miller215

My car already has a factory double din screen with the climate switches below.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
jinxie

I'm pretty certain that if you were to take it out, that it's probably either not as deep as an aftermarket unit, or is a single-din on the inside with a double-din screen & bezel. If you're going to replace it with an OEM unit, then it's a breeze. If you wanted like an Alpine, Kenwood, etc double-din, then that'll be another story.

I'm going to be replacing mine soon and doing video of it. Just waiting on getting a back-up camera so i only have to take the stuff out once.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Miller215

Looks like I'm taking this one out to see. There seem to be some replacement units not overly expensive. Any thoughts there
Old 08-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
jinxie

if you're speaking of Dynavin or something similar, those would be a lot easier to install. it's just not my cup of tea. I like more of a minimalist appearance, without all of those buttons and knobs, which is why i chose to go with an alpine. Also i'm more trusting of Japanese electronics over Chinese or Korean. Just my opinion that it is best to go with what you know. Price-wise, i got my Alpine unit with Navigation and Bluetooth for less than what i would have paid for one of those., not to mention the superior sound quality. Then again, I'm just a pretty picky person i suppose. I'm not bashing any of the other manufacturers, just my preference based on what i've used in the past. And since it's for your son, and unless he's an audiophile, I'd just go with whatever is the easiest to install and looks fairly decent. I'm sure he'll be happy with that :-)

The is only direct replacement that i'm aware of:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437

I would send a message to Jeff, the original poster of that thread as i've seen a lot of his posts and he seems to be a stand up guy, and is more knowledgeable on that type of stuff.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
why don't you just replace the broken unit with a similar one?
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote