E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Update the dyno thread please
Iceman00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Update the dyno thread please
Done
Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
+1
Old 07-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #24
jared_wiesner

The Epic interface cable came in the mail yesterday. I pulled the tune off the car with no issues and sent it to Epic. Now we just wait a little longer.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #25
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
In for results...
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #26
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Subbed.

I don't remember where my dyno sheet is, but I know my best pull was 197 WHP, and that's with an ECIS intake and Bimmer Brakes headers.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #27
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Thanks for sharing the results. Randy at Epic will definitely take care of you!

Did you do any runs beyond Run 3?

From my experience, most of the BMWs, mainly M cars, take many many runs to finally find a consistent dyno run. There have been times in my E46 M3 where there has been a staggering 10-15whp difference between Run 1 and Runs 5, 6, 7, 8, 9! Same with the E90 M3. It takes a lot of runs to get these cars to reach proper temps, stabilized IATs, and of course power measurements.

What I typically do, I ask my dyno operator to keep doing runs until my car starts to pull back on power. After that run, I let the motor rest for a few minutes, and repeat again, until I get consistent.
Wow, that's weird. When I put my car on a dynojet the runs were +/- 1.5hp, +/- 1ft-lb IIRC on three runs. No cool down in between, no nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Subbed.

I don't remember where my dyno sheet is, but I know my best pull was 197 WHP, and that's with an ECIS intake and Bimmer Brakes headers.

OP: I'm excited to see your results!
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #28
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
That was my reaction. I did three pulls. The first two were like... 191 or 192 WHP. The third was 197. I didn't tap into an ignition wire or anything, so my torque numbers weren't available. I have a feeling the numbers were... off. A stock 350Z can't keep up, a stock Mustang GT can't keep up, and I know a stock 2006 330i automatic can't keep up.

Oh, and... uh... all of those "comparisons" took place on "closed circuits with professional staffing."
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #29
flipm3

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 328i
Send a message via AIM to flipm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Wow, that's weird. When I put my car on a dynojet the runs were +/- 1.5hp, +/- 1ft-lb IIRC on three runs. No cool down in between, no nothing.
Definitely a weird phenomena. Look at jared_wiesner's three runs. Between Run 1 and 3, there is nearly 10whp and wtq difference. I'm curious if his power would have kept rising if he did more runs, if it would plateu, or start dropping from heat soak.

Either way, I always choose to run my car as many times as my dyno operator will let me. I figure, the more data you get, the more you have can analyze, and then figure out what kind of consistent power you are putting down.

2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My Build Thread
Evolve Automotive CF Airbox & AlphaN . Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers & V1 SPipe
flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #30
Beau B

My Ride: 2003 ZHP Sedan
Very interested to see the results as well..
Beau B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #31
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Definitely a weird phenomena. Look at jared_wiesner's three runs. Between Run 1 and 3, there is nearly 10whp and wtq difference. I'm curious if his power would have kept rising if he did more runs, if it would plateu, or start dropping from heat soak.

Either way, I always choose to run my car as many times as my dyno operator will let me. I figure, the more data you get, the more you have can analyze, and then figure out what kind of consistent power you are putting down.
Ya, I definitely will get more runs on my next dyno test with the software just to see if it will keep rising. The first three runs should give some indication of gains vs the previous (pre-tune) dyno runs. Though, runs made over the first 3 may not be comparable if the power does indeed keep rising. Like I mentioned before, I made 188 whp in 67 degree weather last year and then dynoed again with more mods and what felt like a faster car this time around and made 188 again. But, it was 90 degrees during the second dyno. In my mind, thats got to speak to some gains being made given the temperature difference.

I'm still waiting to get the tune back, fingers crossed that it comes soon.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 07-29-2012 at 03:52 PM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
If Bimmerworld is reading this, hurry up!
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #33
jared_wiesner

Well, I called Epic today to make sure they got everything ok. Turns out I've had the tune since Tuesday last week... in my spam folder!

I'll be flashing it over tonight and will let you know my first impressions, I'll be booking the first available dyno as well.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #34
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Fingers crossed for ya. Thx for the updates; looking forward to hopefully good news!

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Bimmer App
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #35
Iceman00

I think Jared should NOT flash the software until he does more runs as is, and THEN flashes the software on there. And I think we should start a small donation to help him with some dyno time.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #36
flipm3

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 328i
Send a message via AIM to flipm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
I think Jared should NOT flash the software until he does more runs as is, and THEN flashes the software on there. And I think we should start a small donation to help him with some dyno time.
+1 I agree!!!

Power gains will be more indicative if done this way as well because of similar conditions.

2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My Build Thread
Evolve Automotive CF Airbox & AlphaN . Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers & V1 SPipe
flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #37
jared_wiesner

I'd be very grateful for any spare cash anyone has to put towards dyno time. Our first baby is due in two months and with him, the crunch on my wallet (don't get me wrong, it will be worth it). The thing is, before I read this, I had already flashed the car.

That being said, the Epic tune allows the user to switch back and forth between tuned and untuned with click of a button on my laptop. It stores both my original tune and the tuned file. So, If I can afford to, I could book out a good block of the day at the dyno facility to do a bunch of runs with the tuned file, then, I could switch to my old untuned version again and do a bunch of pulls with it.

What makes me very interested to try this, is the fact that the car feels great. It was 90 degrees again today and the car felt like it usually does at 75 degrees. Plus it just felt like I had way more torque down low and more on top as well. When it cooled down into the evening, I could hardly get traction on launches, the thing just wants to spin the wheels. The throttle response is great. I don't know how much control Randy had over it in the tune with the semi electronic throttle body on the M52tu, but the car snaps my neck back when I stab at the throttle at low RPM's. It didn't do that at full throttle from low rpms before. I don't want to guess at any numbers yet, but the car feels really good. If anything, I definitely think I gained lots under the curve.

Oh, one quick edit.
Two things I noticed.

First, Randy mentioned he had some issues figuring out what tune I had with the Euro 2 tune. Now that I have flashed the updated tune, I have a check engine light on again for 02 sensor codes. I'm assuming I'm back to a US based tune. Not a biggie since I'm going to need 02 monitoring for new Ontario E-test standards going into effect this year.

Second, The car idles kinda high. It now idles at 1000 and then will settle down to 900 after 10-15 seconds of idle (this is at every stop light after the car is more than warm). I don't know if thats a race inspired thing where you keep the car idling up a bit for more cooling and less fouling? Or maybe its for the eventuality of aggressive cams. Though, I'd need a whole new tune for them anyway. In any case, I'll ask about it.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 07-30-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #38
Iceman00

You should only need an hour or so of dyno time, if even, to get the repeatable dyno results. Worst case scenario is 2 hours, but that's an extreme case.

And congrats on the baby man, it's a big step in life, I imagine we'd see you around here less.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #39
jared_wiesner

Thanks! I wouldn't count on it though. I work at a Toyota dealership and spend a good deal of my day in front of a computer when it's slow. On slow days I basically get to be a forum coach potato.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #40
jared_wiesner

Update:

The car seems to have learned a bit over the past day. It is now significantly faster. Just feels great and its still a hot day today. 88 degrees. It is definitely faster than it was before by a good margin. Car chirps second easily. Never did that before unless roads were a bit slick.

Also, for anyone who is interested, dyno testing at my facility costs 125 per hour. I can book for the 14th of August and if I can raise most of 125 dollars then I will do two sets of runs. A bunch with the tune in the car and a bunch with it flashed back to stock tune. I imagine it will take close to two hours total. So, it should almost offset half the costs.

If you would like to donate, PayPal it to jared_wiesner@rogers.com. If I don't even get close to the $125 I will send the money back.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 07-31-2012 at 05:51 PM.