E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #81
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Hmmm.....

(FYI you now have 20whp on me. Time to catch up!)
I was hoping more like 30

I was honestly expecting to see close to 205.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #82
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Wow. That is disappointing.

Well, now we know. You did us all a HUGE favor by going to all this trouble and being the guiney pig for this tune. Thanks again.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #83
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
If you can get a hold of Randy at Epic you should see if he can now do some specific dyno tuning for your set up. Maybe wait until after you get rid of the whistle though in exhaust and he should be able to find some power.

how much was the tune by the way?

right around 6,100 RPM's looks like you're up 6-8 WHP in comparison and similar + Torque too, if you shift around 6,700 now you should land in a higher HP portion of the power band too.

Free up that exhaust

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 08-15-2012 at 08:40 AM.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #84
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ious View Post
If you can get a hold of Randy at Epic you should see if he can now do some specific dyno tuning for your set up. Maybe wait until after you get rid of the whistle though in exhaust and he should be able to find some power.

how much was the tune by the way?

right around 6,100 RPM's looks like you're up 6-8 WHP in comparison and similar + Torque too, if you shift around 6,700 now you should land in a higher HP portion of the power band too.

Free up that exhaust
Thanks for the pep talk I honestly am not ready to blame the tune yet, it just feels so damn good. Myself and a friend (who has a similarly n/a modded e36 328i) went for a run on the highway last weekend and where he would keep up with me before with the stock tune, I pulled 2 car lengths from 60 mph to 100mph

Exhaust is definitely next on my list. The nice thing is that in the future I can still swap back and forth quickly between stock and the tune on dyno runs. That means when I get my exhaust, and hopefully when I have accumulated a bit of play money, I can try this again for you all.

Tune cost me about 450+ shipping on the cable.

Edit* One thing I find really interesting is how relatively perfect my a/f looks (both tuned and untuned) compared to the baseline runs on page 1. Do you guys think there is any way that even though the stock tune was flashed on, the residual values from the Epic tune stayed in the computer and thus made everything stay roughly the same. (I did find that the tune got better after a few days of driving)

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-15-2012 at 09:32 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #85
JohnBlaze

yeah, I noticed the AF too, doesn't look to bad, but the EPIC seems to be just a bit leaner. When they tune you out and add a little gas like the stock tune you shoud get a little bump, and also optimizing for the different intake manifold and CAI should get a little bump, coupled with a new exhaust another bump, and then CAM's maybe for a big bump = ).

What exhaust are you going to do?

ps, don't get discouraged this is all part of the tuning game, and thanks for sharing!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #86
jared_wiesner

Quote:
yeah, I noticed the AF too, doesn't look to bad, but the EPIC seems to be just a bit leaner. When they tune you out and add a little gas like the stock tune you shoud get a little bump, and also optimizing for the different intake manifold and CAI should get a little bump, coupled with a new exhaust another bump, and then CAM's maybe for a big bump = ).

What exhaust are you going to do?

ps, don't get discouraged this is all part of the tuning game, and thanks for sharing!!!
Well he knew about all that stuff before the tune, so I don't think he'll be able to do much more with it at this point other than maybe tweak it to run a little bit more rich.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #87
JohnBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
Well he knew about all that stuff before the tune, so I don't think he'll be able to do much more with it at this point other than maybe tweak it to run a little bit more rich.
well in a generic tune it won't be super agressive, they have to keep it mild to eliminate risk of damaging the motor. If he fine tunes, then he can start manipulating more to optimize for your car.

It call comes down to how much money you want to throw at it though. Most importantly have fun with it...
Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #88
jared_wiesner

Quote:
well in a generic tune it won't be super agressive, they have to keep it mild to eliminate risk of damaging the motor. If he fine tunes, then he can start manipulating more to optimize for your car.

It call comes down to how much money you want to throw at it though. Most importantly have fun with it...
Fair enough, in any case, I will be sending him the results to see what he thinks.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #89
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Man, thanks for sharing the info. I've been behind on my forum reading and will be shooting a few bucks your way for your contribution. Wish I could do more!
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #90
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
Man, thanks for sharing the info. I've been behind on my forum reading and will be shooting a few bucks your way for your contribution. Wish I could do more!
Thanks!

Also was just informed that typically flashing a tune does not reset adaptation values (unless Epic's proprietary software was designed to do this automatically)

This leaves me wondering if my "stock tune runs" were actually some in-between state with it still using the adaptations from weeks with the Epic Tune.
This would explain the relatively consistent a/f and repeatable results both with and without the tune. This, as opposed to my first stock tune baseline that was all over the map.

The car honestly used to feel like that, you'd get one good run and a bunch that were unsatisfying. Now it feels solid and fast every single time I hit the gas.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-15-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #91
jared_wiesner

Also, he sent me the same tune last week with o2's disabled. Put that on when I finished uploading the graphs last night. No more light on dash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1345049901.861770.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	465067  
Old 08-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #92
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar, well, eats you I'll share a little about my method of modding my car. I started spending money testing shit. Was going to make my own dinan intake tube. Bought all the materials to do it. etc Every idea including the catch can I scrapped. Just wasn't worth all the buillshit. I was losing money and making no gains. Ok, to the fucking point already! Spend your money on shit you know is going to work, first, then start testing stuff. Intake exhaust headers pullies. Tuning these cars make such little power. For the cash you spend on that tune, you can get a used nitrous kit. Stock tune and blow the doors of your friends car. I understand not everyone likes nitrous or feels safe about it. In reality it's very safe, it's been used for ages. In war planes etc. You just need to take your time and be very careful. 2 at the wheels is going on a 6 month diet and taking the 20lbs of shit you have in your car out. Spending your money on anything but a tune would have been a better investment. However, I do applaud you for helping us all out. I hope you got a lot of fanatic love on this one. Killer thread man!

Last edited by xixixi; 08-15-2012 at 01:21 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #93
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar, well, eats you
I dunno, I'm still really thrown by the difference in air fuel this time around vs the first baseline pulls. I have a feeling that what we are seeing is a tune that made some power, but the biggest factor was that it now makes predictable repeatable power vs a single good pull.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #94
jared_wiesner

My power and torque lines don't cross @ 5252 RPM....

I dunno what happened, just noticed this now. Scales may be different for horsepower vs torque in my WinPep, I'll check when I get home.

EDIT* Scaling was off, fixed it. Also removed first two runs as they only went to 5500 RPM due to a bad connection on spark lead monitor.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-15-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #95
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
My power and torque lines don't cross @ 5252 RPM....

I dunno what happened, just noticed this now. Scales may be different for horsepower vs torque in my WinPep, I'll check when I get home.

EDIT* Scaling was off, fixed it. Also removed first two runs as they only went to 5500 RPM due to a bad connection on spark lead monitor.
So what are you saying? You fvcked it all up!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #96
flipm3

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 328i
Send a message via AIM to flipm3
Thanks for sharing all this data! Dyno-ing and Tuning DMEs can be a bittersweet experience.

First off, what tells more about the tune is that you pulled a good 2 car lengths on your buddy who used to pace with you pretty well.

In regards to your method of dyno-ing, I wish I chimed in earlier. Usually dynoing with the tune, then going back to stock is not a good idea. As you were informed before, your DME will take quite a bit of time to adapt back down to stock targets. Meaning the ignition timing, cam timing, and what not that Randy tweaked have not yet reverted back to stock limits. It's almost more than likely that most stock-tune vehicles don't reach optimal ignitition, fuel, and cam timing targets, so your "baseline" runs from your dyno sessions are pretty much not the most accurate of what your car would usually put down on that given day.

Looking at your AFRs is a perfect example depicting that. Compare your AFR lines to your previous dyno runs and you can see how different they are from your highest runs on respective days.

As vI6ious said, stay encouraged and have fun tuning your car. Although I didn't go with Epic Motorsports to tune my E46 M3, I know for a fact that Randy is very good at what he does, one of the best! If you are not happy with your results, I am sure he'll be willing to do some live-remote-custom dyno-tuning. It's just a matter of if you're willing to throw the cash on dyno time.

Best of luck with your future modifications. Keep us posted on how things progress. Most of all, enjoy your setup!

2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My Build Thread
Evolve Automotive CF Airbox & AlphaN . Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers & V1 SPipe
flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #97
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
So what are you saying? You fvcked it all up!
Haha, yes. But it was an easy fix. Now all the graphs read properly, my torque axis was just on a different scaling than the hp, it's fixed now, doesn't affect the numbers.

Flipm3,

Thanks for all that info.
I will use my next opportunity on the dyno to do another flip between the tunes as well. I will also clear adaptations before and in-between to level the playing field.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #98
jared_wiesner

My sensor 1 before cat lambda is jumping around while sensor 2 before cat stays roughly static, is that normal?

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-15-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #99
SH4DY

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Jared- how different is the "euro" tune vs the stock one? I'd be curious about the Epic vs the stock USDM tune...

Also, more of an aside... but i still don't understand why everyone insists on tuning N/A cars to 13:1. I've tuned a considerable amount of N/A late model HEMI's and other vehicles and they all seemed to make more power runner slightly richer (12.5-12.25) allowing for more timing without spark knock. Having done email tunes before I can honestly say that without data-logging, you have to be so safe you're really pretty limited. I've tuned two cars with the EXACT same mods but several states apart and had to adjust timing tables 3-4 degrees... which is a lot.

Did they provide you with any logging software?
SH4DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #100
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Hmmm.....
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote