E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #101
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
No logging software, though it may be worth using Smooth1's and getting some values to send back.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-16-2012 at 10:48 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #102
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH4DY View Post
Jared- how different is the "euro" tune vs the stock one? I'd be curious about the Epic vs the stock USDM tune...

Also, more of an aside... but i still don't understand why everyone insists on tuning N/A cars to 13:1. I've tuned a considerable amount of N/A late model HEMI's and other vehicles and they all seemed to make more power runner slightly richer (12.5-12.25) allowing for more timing without spark knock. Having done email tunes before I can honestly say that without data-logging, you have to be so safe you're really pretty limited. I've tuned two cars with the EXACT same mods but several states apart and had to adjust timing tables 3-4 degrees... which is a lot.

Did they provide you with any logging software?
I agree that datalogging can be an invaluable tool when remote tuning.
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #103
jared_wiesner

Ok, after a lot of time researching and speaking to multiple people about the testing methods I used, I really don't want to give this tune a bad name based on the results so far. The variables (especially the fact that the adaptations were not cleared and relearned) simply did not set it up for success.

After everyone who donated to the dyno time, I owe you all a proper picture of what this tune does. I am getting an exhaust in short order. I will swap it to the stock tune, run it for a few weeks, go and dyno, and then switch to the epic tune, clear adaptations and do a few more runs. No set deadline yet, but I will get this done for you all.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #104
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
still sub'd, but not holding breath

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #105
jared_wiesner

Update*** epic calibration with cams and exhaust

I just got ahold of Randy at Epic today.

I spoke to him about updating my tune for my 3 inch exhaust with the Burns merger and the Schrick 264/248 cams that are going to be going in.

This was his response.

"Definately the collector and more importantly the cams will require changes to the calibration data. It may be best to stick it on the dyno while we are connected and remote calibrate it"

Needless to say, I'm excited!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #106
bryce-o

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP 3 pedal
interested in results.....i am still on the fence about dyno tuning my car. i'm not going much more than catless headers on my zhp, but i know there is still power left on table on my current tune file.
bryce-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #107
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce-o View Post
interested in results.....i am still on the fence about dyno tuning my car. i'm not going much more than catless headers on my zhp, but i know there is still power left on table on my current tune file.
Ya, he's already given me his best guess (basically off the shelf) at a tune for my headers, intake, and m54B30 intake manifold. So this will just be to get the most out of the exhaust and cams.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #108
smooth1

Definitely interested in results, too. I'd hook you up with a logging license as well since they might find it very useful to watch/graph data during the tuning process. That's an area I'd love to get some feedback.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #109
da Vinci

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Any updates?

I have a M54B30 ZHP and an Epic tune that yielded very little. I gained a few ponies at low rpm (which I wanted most), and lost a bit over 5k
I don't think this engine wants to make a lot more power:
Magnaflow Catback = Nothing but a great sound
Carbonio Cold air intake = No gain below 4300 rpm and picked up about 8hp from 4800+

Click here for my Build Thread
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Last edited by da Vinci; 02-11-2013 at 10:04 AM.
da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #110
jared_wiesner

Nothing yet, I'll be getting a dyno tune over the phone with epic in the spring.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #111
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
Nothing yet, I'll be getting a dyno tune over the phone with epic in the spring.
What a waste of money. I've been telling people that BMW did a good job on their stock tunes expecialy the Euro ones. These comercial tuners are desperate to make money they sell snake oil to people.
Simple formula to make more power on your engine is reduce the restriction of air going in and out of the engine, reduce rotating mass. If you can't get more air in the engine it won't make more power.
Only way to increase the power significantly on naturally aspirated engine is to increase the compression ratio and run slightly more aggressive camshaft along with increased compression. Everything else is just big waste of money
HakenTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #112
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
What a waste of money. I've been telling people that BMW did a good job on their stock tunes expecialy the Euro ones. These comercial tuners are desperate to make money they sell snake oil to people.
Simple formula to make more power on your engine is reduce the restriction of air going in and out of the engine, reduce rotating mass. If you can't get more air in the engine it won't make more power.
Only way to increase the power significantly on naturally aspirated engine is to increase the compression ratio and run slightly more aggressive camshaft along with increased compression. Everything else is just big waste of money
Except according to my dyno thread, people without tunes almost always make less power than those with it, including my own car.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #113
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Except according to my dyno thread, people without tunes almost always make less power than those with it, including my own car.
I've seen your thread. People there do other upgrades together with the tune so you can't realy tell from where the gain comes from. And if there is gain it usualy comes from the cost of low end power and torq just to gain few HP near redline. BMW does not leave any meat on the bone when it comes to ECU programming, they max it out for 91 octane fuel and tell you to use premium fuel.
HakenTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #114
jared_wiesner

Quote:
I've seen your thread. People there do other upgrades together with the tune so you can't realy tell from where the gain comes from. And if there is gain it usualy comes from the cost of low end power and torq just to gain few HP near redline. BMW does not leave any meat on the bone when it comes to ECU programming, they max it out for 91 octane fuel and tell you to use premium fuel.
I have done pretty much every bolt-on including cams, you've got to be kidding if you think that the stock tune will run the car better with all these changes than one tweaked on the dyno just for them

Just to put things in perspective, back around e-test time, I flashed back on the BMW tune for the emissions sniffer test. The car failed horribly. I flashed on the Epic tune and while it didn't quite pass that way, the readings were super close to where they should be. Clearly the car was running more happily on the Epic tune.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 02-11-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #115
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
I didn't lose any power, so there goes that point.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #116
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
HakenTT,
you need to lurk moar.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #117
smooth1

Quote:
There is actually room for improvement. You've admittedly never tuned a car on the dyno, but once you get a chance to I think you'll have a much better understanding.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #118
jared_wiesner

Time for an update!

I've saved up a bit of cash and will be proceeding with a custom remote dyno tune by Randy Mueller of Epic Motorsports in the next few weeks. (Likely the week of the 24th)

It's now got schrick 264 cams and a 3 inch custom exhaust on top of the rest, we'll see what happens.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 06-14-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #119
///Mvious

My Ride: E46 330
Anxious to see what these guys can do!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #120
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
Time for an update!

I've saved up a bit of cash and will be proceeding with a custom remote dyno tune by Randy Mueller of Epic Motorsports in the next few weeks. (Likely the week of the 24th)

It's now got schrick 264 cams and a 3 inch custom exhaust on top of the rest, we'll see what happens.

In my fantasy world, this is what I'd like;

While on the dyno, you:

1) You first dyno the car in its current state, with its current hardware and aftermarket tune. If on a Dynojet, CF = SAE, RPM, and AFR. Log with a printout what your WHP and WTQ numbers are.

2) Pull off the aftermarket tune and go back to stock, re-dyno. Log with a printout what your WHP and WTQ numbers are.

3) Now start tuning in your Epic Motorsports Remote tune, when it's all dialed in, log with a printout what your WHP and WTQ numbers are.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote