E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Alex2003

My Ride: 2003 red bmw 330ci
Ground Wire Issue(please read before saying find a diy)

I have a 2003 330ci convertible.

The Ground wire on the driver's(left) side for my tail light melted through the sleeve. It became intermittent and I attempted to fix it. Long story short, after the lights stopped working I felt very uncomfortable with the live wire out and just ripped the ground wire out of the socket. I feel like I shouldn't have because their were still probably other ways to fix it while it was still attached(diy threads).

As of now, the ground wire is hanging on its own and the rear left taillight doesn't work. I went to go to bmw to buy a new harness and split the wires but they're telling me the harness is actually part of the car harness and not one on its own resulting in a price of a couple thousand dollars which I do not intend on spending. Originally I planned on using the recall but found out it was four doors only. If anybody here has dealt with this on convertibles or coupes(assuming wiring is the same), I'd appreciate any advice very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1461[1].jpg
Views:	90
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	460306  
Alex2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Buy a new similar terminal (since you cut it off) shrink wrap it with heat shrink, plug it in and do the ground fix. Ground fix involves 4 inches of 16-18awg wire, wire tap, and female spade connector that plugs into one of the metal tabs as shown on the right in your picture. You tap the ground wire after its plugged in and simply plug it into the thin metal ground tab on the back of the tail light bulb holder.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Alex2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Buy a new similar terminal (since you cut it off) shrink wrap it with heat shrink, plug it in and do the ground fix. Ground fix involves 4 inches of 16-18awg wire, wire tap, and female spade connector that plugs into one of the metal tabs as shown on the right in your picture. You tap the ground wire after its plugged in and simply plug it into the thin metal ground tab on the back of the tail light bulb holder.
I have a cousin who is good with wiring so I will ask him to fix this for me.

So the items I need are -
1. similar terminal(exactly what is this?)
2. 4 inches of 16-18awg wire
3. wire tap
4. female spade connector(how do I know which connector is correct? Is it more of an eyeball thing?)

And then I'll let him read your post because, from what I can tell, You've just given me the directions .

Does this all sound right to do?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Pretty much. Just eyeball and match the other connectors you have. I dont know the name or the size. I'm not an electrician. The connector is just a flat little connector which plugs onto a tab. if you google E46 tail light ground fix you might see a picture of what I am talking about.

This plugs onto one of the metal ground tabs as in your picture (those metal lines) the other end of the wire is tapped onto the ground wire of the tail light harness (brown wire) very simple fix.

Since you cut the original ground wire, you might need to extend it some. maybe an inch.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Alex2003

Sounds good. Thank you very much