E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
therealjo2

My Ride: 1999 BMW 328i
My BMW Project

Before I go in-depth like my introduction post. I'll post current photos, and upgrades I've made. Here is my 1999 BMW 328i.

So far everything I've done have been maintenance work to get the car up and running back to normal.

Brakes--
PowerStop Drilled/Slotted Routers
PowerStop Calipers
Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads
DNA Motor Stainless Steel Brakelines

Suspension--
Ges Parts Control Arm
Ges Parts Tierods
Ges Parts Bushings
Ges Parts End Sway Bar Links
KYB Rear Shocks
KYB Rear Shock Mounts

Engine--
Victor Reinz Head Gasket
Victor Reinz Head Bolts
Fel-Pro Valve Gasket
K&N Air Filter
NGR Spark Plugs

Now Parts, that I do have, but haven't placed them on the car til I paint it in a few weeks.

Future Plans for the next few weeks.

Painting the Car Balloon White, and ordering some 17's or 18's gloss black wheels. In the next post, I'll post my story and progress from the first time I brough the car back! I will update this post probably after the car gets painted and again when I get the wheels.

Last edited by therealjo2; 02-09-2015 at 09:46 PM.
therealjo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
therealjo2

So, as stated as in my introduction post, I'll get into more detail on my purchases and what not. Well, I decided, to sell my 96 Dodge Stratus. It was a bit of a *****, but took out the 2.0 motor, and swapped in the 2.4 motor. Transmission was slipping, motor started leaking of oil and coolant, and didnt wanna put more money into it. Sold it for $1500 and gave them the old 2.0 motor that came in it. Here are some photos of it.

So searching for about 2 weeks on Craigslist for different make and models. I came across this BMW. Here are the photos that were attached to the Craigslist ad.

Post was short and said it ran good. So me and a buddy drove 2 hours into Michigan (I'm from Toledo, Ohio). And took a look at it. Drove it, drove rough. Had no power. Brakes were shot, Transmission Error code kept refusing the car to climb to 60mph very slow and rough. So we had to get her towed. Cost me about $150. Got the car and took it to my buddys house. And started looking around, and making up a list for replacement parts.

I ended up going to Autozone and buying 6 NGR Plat Plugs.

Still getting misfires, so we bought some Coil Packs.

Then we both agree'd it'd be a good idea, to replace the duct taped parts.

And then we decided to take a deeper look at the motor.

And while we were takin apart the motor, we decided to take off the head, and replace the head gasket so we didnt have to worry about it in the near future.

After we put everything back together. The car runs great. Brakes were in need of replacing, the rear passenger caliper was starting to seize up. So we decided to replace everything.

Balljoints were going out, bushing was shot on the driver side, so we replaced both control arms, both tie rods, both bushings, and both end links. Ordered the parts from GESPARTS.com

The hood was shot. Dented all over like someone fat chick with high heels decided to go to town on the hood and mess it up. So, ordered a new hood, emblems, and kidney grills

But those parts will have to wait til we paint the car in a few weeks. Havent decided on what rims we will be grabbing. Either Gloss Black or a Bronze/Copper set.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
therealjo2

I will not be putting a body kit on the BMW lol. I might get the M3 Rear Bumper. and thats a big MIGHT. Haven't decided. Car came with the m3 front bumper. Which will be staying. Like it better than the Stock 328i.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Wow, you took on pretty big project. Good to hear the car runs ok now. Looking forward to future updates.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
therealjo2

Yea, fiance wasn't happy. Cause I sold the Stratus to avoid another project, but I never worked on a German Car before. Normally American and Hondas lol. So I told her me and a buddy was gonna go and kept her at home, and when it was dropped off at my house from the tow truck, she was mad that I paid money for it. She knew I would dump my money into it like my Stratus. But when im off, she takes it cause she enjoys the heated seat, and jensen 7inch fold out touch screen I installed in it. She loves it now lol.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #6
bkmowad

My Ride: 330ci
Wow must a got the car for cheap with that story. Glad she's running good now. What did you do with the old hood?
bkmowad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
therealjo2

Still on the car currently, Waiting for my buddy to have time to paint the car, and we'll slap on the new hood when he gets ready to paint it.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
therealjo2

Got the car for $2,000. Bluebooks at $2700 I believe. Didnt get a GREAT deal. But the BMW looked like it needed a good home. And I knew I'd have fun digging into it. Regardless what my old lady had to say about it lol.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
AndreBXP

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I love how you just casually replace the head gasket like its NBD. Good luck on your project OP, looks like it is coming along nicely.
AndreBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
So how do you like working on a German car compared to American and Japanese?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #11
therealjo2

To AndreBXP: I have changed alot of head gaskets in my time, a few with warped heads and being pissed off to having it machined. I mean the tear down is always a pain in the ass, and the timing always sucks. But I've done enough to know im not paying BMW $2000 to change it. Lol. I mean I change my families Head gasket for like $150 + parts. Saves alot of money when you know what you're actually doing lol.

To lab rat: It's different. But its fun, cause I get to learn more instead of going into it thinking i know what im doing. Vanos through me off when we were taking off the head. I dont like the fact you need all these "special tools" for things. Prices are alot more, but it was expected, its a BMW. But alot of it is easier. But, Im enjoying it more and more as I dig into the BMW. But everything is about the same. I just dont know why BMW used so much plastic! lol.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #12
therealjo2

I think I've spent more time googling about the Vanos and the Timing for the m52 than I did tearing down the head, cause I didnt have any of the special tools to do the Vanos or hold the cams. I had it ghettofi my special tools lol.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #13
Lookingforideas

My Ride: 2002 325i sedan
where did you get the black hood emblem and kidney grille from? I'm finding them but mostly decals, or cheap plastic, and the grille not sure if I am finding the cheap material version?

Last edited by Lookingforideas; 03-09-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Lookingforideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #14
omni01_k

My Ride: 2014 335i
subbed
Old 03-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #15
Ojai330i

My Ride: 330i Slick Top & X5
Nice work. I bet you are going to build something nice out of all of this.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #16
Phrygian

My Ride: 2000 323i
I hope you inspected those coolant pipes while you had the intake manifold off. On mine, the plastic was disintegrating where they connect to the engine, and I had coolant pouring down the left side of the block.

When I removed them they looked like this:

They should look like this:

Last edited by Phrygian; 03-09-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Phrygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #17
therealjo2

I got the emblems on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Pretty good qaulity for the price. Similar to my stock ones. And I did replace the coolant hardline when the intake manifold and fuel rail was off. And replaced it, had to get it from the Dealer tho. I think the hardldine was like $35, the Dealership down the road from me didnt have any in stock, had to drive an hour away to another dealer who did have it stock. I dont like to wait for parts. But Amazon or Ebay didnt have any. But, yea, replaced it, When we put the head gasket in, we threw water through a funnel into the whole where the Thermostat would generally pump coolant when opened, and had that spot leak water like no ones business. Mine looked exactly like yours. Nasty, even broke off inside, had to take some needle nose pliers to pull it out with the rubber seal still on the broke piece. Was a bitch, but we got it.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #18
therealjo2

Well, Ordered the Balloon White paint kit, ebay headers for a cheap alternative to these ugly stock exhaust manifold since theres a leak at the flange connected to the downpipe. Got some 18 staggered innovits. Pretty cheap. $600 for the set. Just wrapped them in some Falken's. Unfortunately, I went 225/40/18 in the fronts, and was gonna go 235 for the backs, but they said 235's were special order? Which was, like, Really? So I ended up stretching a bit and through 225 on the wears as well. Wheels not installed yet, but they are 18x8 (Fronts) and 18x9 (Rears), Gonna install my SPC Cambers this weekend.... looking forward to that **** >.> Since finding out through this forum, Ima have to jack the rear end up a bit to get to the drivers side. But, getting rid of this ugly grey interior, and painting door panels, parts of the dash, getting new carpet, and my seats reupholstered here in a month or so.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #19
therealjo2

Still searching for new speakers, since my HK Setup has def seen better days, and the sound now, after 167k miles, just suck. Im sure they were good when new. Anyone recommend any speakers for the panels, im gonna be modifying the rear speakers to fit 6x9's. Havent figured out which ones, but im looking for some 6.5's for the door panels that don't require me cutting a hole in my door.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #20
therealjo2

I got the grilles from eBay. Replacement OEM's. They just came unpainted, which im leaving black. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161436730394...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT