E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
E46_Dave

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
My 323i Resurection Thread

So I introduced my self later today, but hi, I'm Dave. I recently became the owner of a 1999 BMW 323i. I like the car but it was riddled with problems. Here's a pic of how the car sits now-

I already fixed a loose turn signal socket on the passenger side, and replaced a fuse to GE my cigarette lighter working again.
Tonight I decided to try to find where my power steering fluid has been leaking and fix it if possible, and also check the bushings on my drivers side front wheel (it's been vibrating and knocking).

So first my wheel, after jacking the car up, I grabbed the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and tested for movement. Not much there. The I switched to the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and tried, i couldn't believe how much it moved! It felt like the wheel was loose on the hub. I crawled under the car and was able to move the control arm up and down at the center bushing-

Looks like I'll be needing a new set of bushings ASAP, any recommendations?

Next, I pulled off the motor splash guard so I could find my power steering leak.
This is what I found-

my pump was completely dry, as were the lines running to and from. But I did notice fluid on my radiator expansion tank.

So then I pulled off my air box to check the lines coming off my resevour.

No discernible leaks here either? Well, I decided to put some ATF in the system to find the leak. When I started it up, fluid started pouring out!

Turns out the bottom line coming from the front of the car (some kind of line cooler??) was disconnected.

I pulled the line off and nothing appeared to be broken, so I reconnected it, checking that the line was on tight. I'll watch it for the next couple days to make sure it doesn't come loose again, if it does, I'll probably just replace that line.
E46_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
E46_Dave

I also tried diagnose why my back up lights weren't working. I checked the fuse, it was good. So I pulled the bulbs and they are also good. So I'm pretty sure it the back up light switch off the transmission. I'll heck it here in the next couple days, when I get a chance to crawl under it again.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Pixxy

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Did you get the car really really cheap or where you looking for a project car? Its going to need alot of TLC.
Pixxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Great to have a new 323 member. Welcome, Now bend over.

I hope you have an manual 5 speed.
Prepare for rear subframe crack inspection + reinforcement welding + new diff and subframe bushings
Complete cooling overhaul
Complete front suspension overhaul: control arms, bushings, tie rods, sway bars...
Possibly new battery, alternator, and fuel pump needed
VCG and vanos seals needed for sure
Clean the MAF, Idle Control Valve, and check for cracks on the air boot
Too much...
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Engineer

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_Dave View Post
I also tried diagnose why my back up lights weren't working. I checked the fuse, it was good. So I pulled the bulbs and they are also good. So I'm pretty sure it the back up light switch off the transmission. I'll heck it here in the next couple days, when I get a chance to crawl under it again.
Before you crawl under again, check the electrical connectors in the rear lamp housings. My 2000 E46 had a bad ground in one of the connects and caused a lot of issues. The electrical connectors unplug from the lamp housings from inside the trunk.
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
Welcome to the board! It's nice to see someone taking the time to figure out what's wrong and not just replacing parts. Keep going the way you are going, and congrats on the new ride Looks like someone did replace the lines on under the p/s reservoir, perhaps they just didn't get the bottom hose on good.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
E46_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post
Welcome to the board! It's nice to see someone taking the time to figure out what's wrong and not just replacing parts. Keep going the way you are going, and congrats on the new ride Looks like someone did replace the lines on under the p/s reservoir, perhaps they just didn't get the bottom hose on good.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm hoping that's all it was. The shop I got it from told me they had just resealed both the engine and transmission about 500 miles ago, and they seem to be holding up, I haven't found any other leaks yet.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
E46_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Great to have a new 323 member. Welcome, Now bend over.

I hope you have an manual 5 speed.
Prepare for rear subframe crack inspection + reinforcement welding + new diff and subframe bushings
Complete cooling overhaul
Complete front suspension overhaul: control arms, bushings, tie rods, sway bars...
Possibly new battery, alternator, and fuel pump needed
VCG and vanos seals needed for sure
Clean the MAF, Idle Control Valve, and check for cracks on the air boot
Too much...
I do have a manual.
The diff I am a bit worked about, as I can hear a knock when I shift into and out of reverse.
Most of the suspension will eventually be replaced anyways, I plan on lowering it here hopefully sometimes with year, any good shock/spring combo's anyone can recommend for a 1.5" - 2" drop).
Battery looks pretty new, as does the alternator. They may have been replaced already.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
Check the rear differential bushing, it can cause a knock from that area. Also, good work on getting a manual.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
E46_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post
Check the rear differential bushing, it can cause a knock from that area. Also, good work on getting a manual.
Will do. I also though it might be the yoke on the driveshaft.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Dave, see sig. Do it all. Particularly, do the cooling system refresh(which is really a complete replacement) one overheating episode on these engines, even for a minute, and your engine is toast. Your power steering lines at three areas can be trimmed and reclamp using brand new universal screw-type clamps. The reservoir is good to replace as it contains a filter. All this info is in my sig.

Remember these cars are cheap to maintain, but expensive to fix.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
blksab65

My Ride: 1987 325 (i Swapped)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixxy View Post
Did you get the car really really cheap or where you looking for a project car? Its going to need alot of TLC.
look at the cars in the background
blksab65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
E46_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixxy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksab65 View Post
look at the cars in the background
I traded a s13 240sx to a shop down in houston (Sonic Imports, I believe was the name) that is sponsoring a driver in the Nevrslo Drift Series staring up in July.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
E46_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Dave, see sig. Do it all. Particularly, do the cooling system refresh(which is really a complete replacement) one overheating episode on these engines, even for a minute, and your engine is toast. Your power steering lines at three areas can be trimmed and reclamp using brand new universal screw-type clamps. The reservoir is good to replace as it contains a filter. All this info is in my sig.

Remember these cars are cheap to maintain, but expensive to fix.
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
E46_Dave

I have another question guys, my car will not lock or unlock using the button in the middle console. (My hazards don't work either). I don't have the original key for the car. All I have is some old replacement key that I doubt was ever programed, it looks like this-

The key itself will open the trunk and start the car. Door lock on the drivers door is broken, but I'll be fixing that this afternoon. Now I've wondered if it was the console button itself that was broken or my GM5. But according to BMWGM5.com-

Quote:
The GM5 is used to control a variety of different functions. Here is a list of functions this module controls:
By the way, this is also the list of things that won't work when the GM5 module is removed. The car will run and drive just fine except for the items listed below.
Power window control (up and down control of windows)
Remote entry (locking and unlocking via key fob and central locking button)
Trunk release (via key fob, handle button and interior trunk release button)
Vehicle alarm (siren, tilt & sonar sensors and clown nose light)
Windshield wiper and washer (both front and rear if equipped)
Interior lights
The trunk opens with the handle button, and the trunk light works. Also, my windshield wipers work, but the washer doesn't.
My interior (dome) light and power windows on the drivers side also do not work.
What do you guys think?
Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_Dave View Post
I have another question guys, my car will not lock or unlock using the button in the middle console. (My hazards don't work either). I don't have the original key for the car. All I have is some old replacement key that I doubt was ever programed, it looks like this-

The key itself will open the trunk and start the car. Door lock on the drivers door is broken, but I'll be fixing that this afternoon. Now I've wondered if it was the console button itself that was broken or my GM5. But according to BMWGM5.com-

The trunk opens with the handle button, and the trunk light works. Also, my windshield wipers work, but the washer doesn't.
My interior (dome) light and power windows on the drivers side also do not work.
What do you guys think?
I thought e46 keys looked like this...Tha's a weird looking key.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...eb-sYsJ&zoom=1
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #17
E46_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
I thought e46 keys looked like this...Tha's a weird looking key.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...eb-sYsJ&zoom=1
They are supposed to look like that. Previous owner didn't give two shits about this car apparently, lol.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
E46_Dave

So do you guys think it the console button, or the GM5 that's causing the locks not to work?
Btw, I forgot to mention, I can manually lock them by hand and unlock them by opening the door from inside the car.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Hey man your car sounds exactly like mine! Haha. I too was surprised at how much movement my wheel had at the 12 and 6 positions as well... but then again my control arms have 142k miles on them. Also I can guarantee that your diff issue is the rear carrier bushing... mine is missing a chunk of the bushing so it clunks in reverse and when slowing down sometimes. I was lucky as my cooling system was replaced at 85k miles so I have a few more before I need to do an overhaul. Good luck with the car... mine is coming along slowly but when it's done will drive like a proper BMW should!

Oh as for the key... it's correct. During the production cycle starting in 9/1999 they changed a few of the things on the E46's including the key design. Take apart your center console and make sure all of the connections are plugged in. It seems weird that both the drivers side windows and the hazard light and unlock button doesn't work. It's very simple to take the console apart to check.

Last edited by ryannel2003; 07-09-2012 at 03:36 PM.
ryannel2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
E46_Dave

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out the connections in the center console. As far as my control arm and bushings, I'm sure they are going bad by now, car has about 118K on it, but i'm pretty sure now that its my tie rod on the drivers side that's out, the wheel moves when I grab at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, not so much at 12 and 6.