E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
jbehr99

My Ride: 2005 330CI Vert ZHP
Tarpaulin Cover

Hello all, I have searched but to no avail have I found any information on our website about the Tarpaulin Cover. The part number for this cover is 82110027059. For those of you who do not know what it is, it is a cover that you put just over the cabin of the car when the top is down. The purpose I believe is so you do not have to put the soft top up if you are going to leave the car. This seems very appealing to me, because every time you put the top up and down, it is one step closer to a costly repair. During the summer time I basically leave the top down because it is so beautiful outside, but at night when I am at work, dew will form and get in the inside of the car. I would prefer not to have to put the top back up and down. Basically what I am asking is does anyone have any experience with this cover, reviews, recommendations? Or is anyone selling theirs? I have posted a picture below to help aid with my description, I also have included the link to the cover on BMW's website.
Thanks

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...&ProductId=525

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Keaton1

My Ride: 2001 330 CIC
I had not seen these before, so can't offer much feed-back, but they look pretty nice. A quick search showed this same exact cover on Amazon for $75 plus free shipping, (while your link above was $87.50). Description shows its just for 2005 - 2006 model years, but not sure why it wouldn't fit pretty much all E46 verts. Looks like it would be worth a try for only $75. Should meet your needs. I'm going to get one for myself. Will post back how they fit in a couple weeks if you want to wait that long.
Keaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
jbehr99

Ya, it does look pretty nice, for the price I might just pull the trigger as well.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
I got this one at the dealer. Highly recommend it. Fast on and on and I store it in a black pillowcase on the floor behind driver seat (otherwise the fabric rubs the carpet and pills up).

Keeps dew out and lets you drive topless without having to dry off the fabric top before lowering.

Tiny drawback: Unless your windshield is completely clean, the tarpaulin schmaltzes it up when it drags across the glass.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
bigguy

My Ride: 2001 330ci vert
wouldn't this be easy to break in to? I mean, it looks like it's held on with just some Velcro straps.
bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
^ If you mean easy to access the car's interior, yes. You're as secure as when you simply leave the car parked with the top down. But the cover does a good job of keeping dust and sun out.

As far as people taking the cover itself, the straps tuck into the trunk hinge so it can be "locked" onto the car.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
bigguy

My Ride: 2001 330ci vert
oh, cool.
bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
e46mook

My Ride: 2004 330cic
how does it do with water? I'd be interested, but here in Florida you get those out of nowhere rain showers...
Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Jimjar

My Ride: 2006 325Ci
I think you guys are going a little nuts...this is exactly what the convertible top is for. Are you really afraid that your top will break ? If so, this may not be the car for you.
Jimjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I got one and I like it. Nothing wrong with saving wear and tear on the top. I'd rather put a cover on near the beach and protect the interior from birds and the dust/sand that's in the air than always putting my top up/down.

As for the water question, I seriously doubt it protects from water but that's not something I have to deal with often so I'm not worried about it.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
jbehr99

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
I got one and I like it. Nothing wrong with saving wear and tear on the top. I'd rather put a cover on near the beach and protect the interior from birds and the dust/sand that's in the air than always putting my top up/down.

As for the water question, I seriously doubt it protects from water but that's not something I have to deal with often so I'm not worried about it.
Yes, this is the type of usage I am talking about. Like when you go somewhere, you know when you get back to the car, your going to want to put the top back down, so instead of putting wear on the top, for that peice of mind protection against birds, debris, ect.... You put this cover on.

Question. How long does it take to put on the cover, what are the steps?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
johnrando

Maybe 2 minutes. I lay it out over the car. The connections points are:
1) front windshield part just lays over the windshield and under the wipers
2) rear part has tabs that you can open your trunk and lay them in, so when the trunk closes the tabs are pinned down.
I do either the front or rear first depending on which way the breeze is blowing. The tarp is very light.
3) Then there are 4 side velcro straps, 2 around the door handles, and 2 around the side mirrors. That's it.

I wouldn't recommend this is a heavy wind area as the velcro is not THAT strong.

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
adamwu

My Ride: 2001 325Ci Cabriolet
Does this only work with the windows down?
adamwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
johnrando

I'd have to check. My guess is that the windows could be partially up, but I don't think there's a lot of extra room for that, so not up enough to make a difference.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
M3Dux

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbehr99 View Post
Hello all, I have searched but to no avail have I found any information on our website about the Tarpaulin Cover. The part number for this cover is 82110027059. For those of you who do not know what it is, it is a cover that you put just over the cabin of the car when the top is down. The purpose I believe is so you do not have to put the soft top up if you are going to leave the car. This seems very appealing to me, because every time you put the top up and down, it is one step closer to a costly repair. During the summer time I basically leave the top down because it is so beautiful outside, but at night when I am at work, dew will form and get in the inside of the car. I would prefer not to have to put the top back up and down. Basically what I am asking is does anyone have any experience with this cover, reviews, recommendations? Or is anyone selling theirs? I have posted a picture below to help aid with my description, I also have included the link to the cover on BMW's website.
Thanks

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...&ProductId=525

Thanks, jbehr99!

I was actually looking for this a few weeks ago at Autoanything.com but I did not know there was a BMW OEM one. Autoanything has them for sale from $66 to $112 but I just went ahead and bought the OEM online for $68.26. I also bought the full OEM nose mask for my e46 M3 in the same order for $76.84.

E46 M3 Vert (Current)
Exterior: Umnitza AE, Hardtop, CSL Trunk, CSL Diffuser.
Interior: CF trim.
Engine/Performance: 4.10s, RE El Diablo, MS Charge Kit, air intake scoops.
Suspensions/Wheels: 19" BBS LM, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, 15mm rear spring pads, MS 5mm/12mm Spacers.
Summer project: OEM CSL headers, S/CD Rotors, and KWv3.

E90 325i (Retired)
Stock
M3Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
jbehr99

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dux View Post
Thanks, jbehr99!

I was actually looking for this a few weeks ago at Autoanything.com but I did not know there was a BMW OEM one. Autoanything has them for sale from $66 to $112 but I just went ahead and bought the OEM online for $68.26. I also bought the full OEM nose mask for my e46 M3 in the same order for $76.84.
No problem!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #17
johnrando

Pic of mine on. You can kinda put the windows up... I put one side up, but I think it starts to get a little tight on space.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
jbehr99

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
Pic of mine on. You can kinda put the windows up... I put one side up, but I think it starts to get a little tight on space.

Thanks for the pic
Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
It's nice to see one installed. I've been looking at our photos of them for a while trying to fully grasp how they mount (sometimes the shop BMW site doesn't 100% line up with reality).

click image for more information

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #20
Keaton1

My Ride: 2001 330 CIC
Just got mine in today and tried it out. It fits well, and I'm happy with it.

Johnrando gave a good summary how to put it on, and its pretty simple and quick. Only thing I like better is to put the rear seam just barely under the trunk lid so that it gives a better seal in the back and should be slightly less prone to tear the tabs if a strong gust of wind came up.

I got it barely caught under the trunk lid this way the first time I tried it by mistake, and decided I liked that better, than when I correctly just put the little tabs under the trunk. Plus I plan to use mine alot for future pollen seasons down here in GA where the pine pollen can be brutal. I think it will help keep the pollen from blowing inside better that way.

All in all, it seems good quality and wasn't that expensive.
Keaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw, convertible, cover, ragtop, soft top