E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #21
jbehr99

My Ride: 2005 330CI Vert ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton1 View Post
Just got mine in today and tried it out. It fits well, and I'm happy with it.

Johnrando gave a good summary how to put it on, and its pretty simple and quick. Only thing I like better is to put the rear seam just barely under the trunk lid so that it gives a better seal in the back and should be slightly less prone to tear the tabs if a strong gust of wind came up.

I got it barely caught under the trunk lid this way the first time I tried it by mistake, and decided I liked that better, than when I correctly just put the little tabs under the trunk. Plus I plan to use mine alot for future pollen seasons down here in GA where the pine pollen can be brutal. I think it will help keep the pollen from blowing inside better that way.

All in all, it seems good quality and wasn't that expensive.
Thanks so much for the update. I still have not ordered mine but will probably do so in the near future.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton1 View Post
Just got mine in today and tried it out. It fits well, and I'm happy with it.

Johnrando gave a good summary how to put it on, and its pretty simple and quick. Only thing I like better is to put the rear seam just barely under the trunk lid so that it gives a better seal in the back and should be slightly less prone to tear the tabs if a strong gust of wind came up.

I got it barely caught under the trunk lid this way the first time I tried it by mistake, and decided I liked that better, than when I correctly just put the little tabs under the trunk. Plus I plan to use mine alot for future pollen seasons down here in GA where the pine pollen can be brutal. I think it will help keep the pollen from blowing inside better that way.

All in all, it seems good quality and wasn't that expensive.
Good to know it's working out for you.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
ICEMANBU

My Ride: 330Cic
Is the cover more plastic-y or fabric-y (those are technical terms)? The video on the site mentions it as washable; thought maybe it'd be possible to Scotchguard it or provide some sort of treatment that might help it repel a light rain.....
ICEMANBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #24
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
^ It's like a bed sheet
Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #25
SchatzieII

My Ride: 330CIC 300C
And When you want to protect your top From the Sun

One Minute to put on, less to remove. Gust to 40 mph nose direction hasn't been a problem. I have had on for a year every day. Gust from the rear have been to 30, but usually take it off if I park rear out. California Pop Top. I am right on windy ocean south Fla. Fastens around licence area. EASY If I remember right, top was around $65. Birds, cats, lower cockpit temp much better. Take off at night, just did. rain proof. Do not have on when rains. Material looks just like a mattress cover used to protect the mattress from say bed wetting. Top has not aged at all since I started using this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_31488.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	461491  
SchatzieII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #26
johnrando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMANBU View Post
Is the cover more plastic-y or fabric-y (those are technical terms)? The video on the site mentions it as washable; thought maybe it'd be possible to Scotchguard it or provide some sort of treatment that might help it repel a light rain.....

Almost the same material as a BMW car cover, but maybe just a little lighter?

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Is it quicker or slower than pushing the button?
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #28
TonyDiv

My Ride: 03 325Ci Convertible
Well I think it only takes 18 or 19 seconds to close the auto top, so I'd guess it takes longer. The reason that I've been considering it is to prevent wear and tear on the top and still protect against sun damage, people throwing crap in the car, and the sudden South Florida rains.
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
this is nice
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
cityjohn

This is how the cover goes on

Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #31
dmz

My Ride: M3
Seriously? You have a push button auto top and you prefer to use this cheap cover to cover your top? I'd be embarrased to be putting this on my car in a parking lot. The auto top is to be used, if it wears down, replace the worn out parts, just like you would on any mechanical parts in your car. This reminds me of some folks I know who wraps their firniture in plastic so that they don't get "worn down". Come on man!
dmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #32
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post
Seriously? You have a push button auto top and you prefer to use this cheap cover to cover your top? I'd be embarrased to be putting this on my car in a parking lot. The auto top is to be used, if it wears down, replace the worn out parts, just like you would on any mechanical parts in your car. This reminds me of some folks I know who wraps their firniture in plastic so that they don't get "worn down". Come on man!

+1 I'm thinking Marie Barone!

My car is pushing 100k original miles. Put the top down numerous times almost everyday, and it works as perfectly now as the day I bought it.

Don't want to editorialize too much here, but in my very humble opinion, you'd look like a turd putting that thing on. Just sayin
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #33
johnrando

To each his own. For me, way too many posts about bat wings, hydraulics, tonneau conver, etc. breaking. I'd be opening and closing my top a few times a day. I'd rather put less use on it, keep the top down, and use the cover. Living near the beach, there's always dust/sand in the air and the less in my car, the better. The tonneau helps with that, plus helps keep the black interior cool, plus helps with longer life on the leather easing sun damage - all while not using the top too much. Your sitch might be different. Besides, you don't HAVE to look like the guy in the video putting it on.

Last edited by johnrando; 03-19-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #34
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
I agree. I plan on using my car on a regular basis to go to work in the summertime. We have a private employee parking, so no one but me and my colleagues would know about this, and I would save 2-4 top cycles per day I use it. No brainer for me.

I wouldn't use it elsewhere, just for work. At home I park inside a garage, everywhere else I would put the roof up.

Where can I get one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
To each his own. For me, way too many posts about bat wings, hydraulics, tonneau conver, etc. breaking. I'd be opening and closing my top a few times a day. I'd rather put less use on it, keep the top down, and use the cover. Living near the beach, there's always dust/sand in the air and the less in my car, the better. The tonneau helps with that, plus helps keep the black interior cool, plus helps with longer life on the leather easing sun damage - all while not using the top too much. Your sitch might be different. Besides, you don't HAVE to look like the guy in the video putting it on.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #35
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
using only the part # listed above, using google, I could only find this cover for $87.50 (taxes not included, of course) & shipping to Wash Sate (from OHIO) for $18.63.
The site is kellybmw http://kellybmw.oemdealer.com/3-seri...1408_13680.php

Certainly, this is available for cheaper somewhere?
Also,...$18.63 for shipping this TINY piece of fabric from Ohio to Wash State?...gimme a break.

Anybody have any OTHER links or places to get this cover from..?...WITH...reasonable shipping?

Thx.
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #36
cityjohn

$73 -11% + free shipping
http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/60A2498A0A0.aspx

Just search "convertible interior cover"
You can also find on craigslist
Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #37
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
^ thx. Autoanything sounds great, but they only ship via FedEx....to my city (near Vancouver, BC) for $29.50. This excludes customs/tarriffs/administration fees/taxes...which could make this seemingly cheap cover of $73 come out to a WHOPPING $200+.

So...my Q........

............any CANADIAN fanatics out there who know of any BMW or other auto specialty sites...IN Canada...to avoid all that extra expense nonsense? If so..much appreciated.
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw, convertible, cover, ragtop, soft top