E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Are e46 A/C's that bad?

Ive driven cars anywhere from a Honda to an e46 to a M-Benz. Honda, by far has the best A/C ever. After 5 minutes, I am freezing to death.

I put r-134a in my a/c system yesterday, and its at the highest amount of refrigerant, right at the line between the red zone and green zone. It blows cool, but not as cold as a Honda would blow. This said, I am not trying to promote people to buy Hondas for the summer and e46s any other season.

Are e46 a/c's just that weak? Something wrong with my A/C? Insights please.
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
You just likely ruined your air conditioning system by going the Walmart route. Take it to a qualified technician asap to evacuate and recharge. And no, BMW's air conditioning is high-capacity and world-class. Mine is anyway...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
pr0craztinazn

My Ride: '87 325
BMW air conditioning in general is weak; my E30's air conditioning was pitiful, and my old roommate's E46 has weak A/C, as well. The previous owner of my car went so far as to replace every component of the air conditioning system 3 years ago with the hope of increasing it's output, but to no avail. Once you have experienced American vehicle A/C, you're spoiled.

I find it odd that you have found Honda A/C to be the strongest, as that hasn't been my experience at all, but it's not like there is empirical data on this anywhere.

Last edited by pr0craztinazn; 07-06-2012 at 12:31 PM.
pr0craztinazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Another "Imma fix my a/c with the blue bottle from walmart" thread.... sigh...

Usually you research BEFORE you do something to your car.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
E46..

A/C is fine. My car is 12 years old (received its VIN on July 4, 2000!!!!!!!!!) and the AC has never been serviced. It's 100 degree here in Arlington , VA - and the car's AC keeps me cold!
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
zhenkaaaM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
Another "Imma fix my a/c with the blue bottle from walmart" thread.... sigh...

Usually you research BEFORE you do something to your car.
What is wrong with using the r-134a from autozone? If my a/c went from hot to cold after injecting this refrigerant then I am sure its doing its job. My a/c is working fine. No leaks, or anything. I dont think me bringing my car to a bmw dealership would make a difference.

and as for what pr0craztinazn said, thats what I heard as well. I heard BMW a/c's are weak.

Last edited by zhenkaaaM3; 07-06-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0craztinazn View Post
BMW air conditioning in general is weak; my E30's air conditioning was pitiful, and my old roommate's E46 has weak A/C, as well. The previous owner of my car went so far as to replace every component of the air conditioning system 3 years ago with the hope of increasing it's output, but to no avail. Once you have experienced American vehicle A/C, you're spoiled.

I find it odd that you have found Honda A/C to be the strongest, as that hasn't been my experience at all, but it's not like there is empirical data on this anywhere.
I live in the West SFV in LA where summer temps regularly are well beyond 110 degrees. I have no problem chauffeuring people around in complete comfort and ice cold A/C. In fact, it's too cold. I have to turn it down.

If your BMW's A/C is not cold enough, it's just poorly maintained.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
What is wrong with using the r-134a from autozone? If my a/c went from hot to cold after injecting this refrigerant then I am sure its doing its job. My a/c is working fine. No leaks, or anything. I dont think me bringing my car to a bmw dealership would make a difference.

and as for what pr0craztinazn said, thats what I heard as well. I heard BMW a/c's are weak.
LOL

First of all, you do know there's two lines that have to be evacuated and charged, right? Your Walmart cans only can fill (not evacuate) one of them. What do you do for the other side? Wishful thinking?

There's also a very fine line between overfilling and underfilling, according to A/C techs.

Walmart solutions produce Walmart results. no wonder you're complaining

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
You can't get out moisture with a Wal-Mart can...save a headache and have it done by a professional. ****, JiffyLube can even do this for you for cheap. A/C systems are pretty darn universal.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
LOL

First of all, you do know there's two lines that have to be evacuated and charged, right? Your Walmart cans only can fill (not evacuate) one of them. What do you do for the other side? Wishful thinking?
Obviously not.

Quote:
WRONG. You "heard" that from a bunch of morons. IF anything, the FSR is the biggest issue with e46 and HVAC

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 07-06-2012 at 12:46 PM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
zhenkaaaM3

Can we stop with the bashing?

I am asking for help, not to tell me that I am a damn idiot because I don't know how to recharge my a/c system. That is why I posted in the 1st place, for assistance.

What does a BMW tech do that I an average DIY'er doesnt do? How would stopping at the dealership be beneficial? What do they have that I cant get my hands on.
Would a reputable bmw shop be able to perform the same task?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I'm due for an oil change so I'll probably have my mechanic recharge the ac system the proper way by evacuating the system
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Can we stop with the bashing?

I am asking for help, not to tell me that I am a damn idiot because I don't know how to recharge my a/c system. That is why I posted in the 1st place, for assistance.

What does a BMW tech do that I an average DIY'er doesnt do? How would stopping at the dealership be beneficial?
You are being helped. I told you to take it to a qualified a/c technician (nobody said anything about a dealer but you)

Search on youtube for a video by ericthecarguy explaining servicing an a/c system.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
zhenkaaaM3

thanks for the vid, explained alot.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
sunnyjay

My Ride: 01 330i
There is nothing special about our a/c system compared to every other auto maker. I also wonder how many people clean their a/c condenser (the radiator for the a/c in lamens' terms)? I wouldn't throw any a/c additives into the a/c system minus dye to find where a leak is. Since our car's are getting old, the o-rings in the system are starting to develop leaks. The other area of leaks is the valve stems for the low side and high side lines. The proper way is to evap the system and put it under vacuum for at least an hour to see if vacuum is lost. Recharge after if no leaks are discovered or after they are fixed if any. With a set of gauges you can recharged the a/c system at home after someone evap's the system and put it under vacuum. I used the freon cans without additives for my refills, which connect to my gauges. Rarely any a/c system is charged as liquid from the high side line, its always gas through the low side line.
sunnyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
mine being 11 y/o works pretty nice in 100F heat. not the coldest probably due to dirty condenser but blows decent cold air. black interior does not help tho.
called the Mazda dealer I always go to, said $150 to evacuate and recharge. thats outrageous.

Last edited by jasonbimmer; 07-06-2012 at 01:09 PM.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
zhenkaaaM3

Just went through the whole video. Very informative. I figure that I can possibly have moisture buildup in my system. Good luck to everyone who has a/c that is not blowing cold like you want it to. I will get on this asap. Its been 90+ everyday in NY, and will be this hot for the remaining months of summer.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Mine is gets ice cold kinda quickly.....Do you have your center vent on the "Blue" setting? and also try using the recirculating air setting... makes it a lil colder.

Last edited by SMUUUUUV; 07-06-2012 at 01:23 PM.
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Yea I had to tell my dad to get his AC done correctly on his 03 Nissan Sentra. He tried using the blue can and it didn't work. Took the car to get the system evacuated, replaced his seals and then had it refilled. Do it right the first time
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
The AC in my '04 330i works great. It has never been serviced as far as I know and it keeps me cool. I find that the auto feature works wonders. Just set the temp you want and forget it.

One thing I hear of a lot of idiots doing when it comes to AC: On a hot day, you get on your car with all the windows up, crank the AC and drive off waiting for it cool down. This is so dumb. Be smart, crack a window and let the sunroof vent when you are parking. This significantly lowers the interior temp. Also, use a sunshade. Lastly, when you get into your scorching hot car, roll down all the windows and drive for a bit before letting the automatic HVAC do it's thing. This way the blower motor isn't going full bore to cool down a hot car.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote