E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Safest Way to Move the Car Around in the Morning?

Hey guys, it seems like this concept has been getting worse in my mind progressively.

Yes, I am 19 and live at my parents house. Because I commute to college to save money, and also like having my own room and helping my parents when I can. Say what you want, but that's how it is. I'm not going to try to up-play it and try to act like a child prodigy. (Even though I think I am one of the youngest guys on here who is knowledgeable, contributes, and cleanly mods my car for my age.

Anyhow- We only have a two car garage and my dad's truck and mom's SUV are in it. Our driveway is also at about a 30 degree angle upwards, which has been a blast to park on and drive up with my e46.

When I first started e46'ing, I would just park behind my mom, and move when she needed me to. I thought nothing of it. However, after a while, after being more educated, I had an epiphany and said "oh god, this can't be healthy for my car." So then I used to be able to park at the bottom, and then have my parents back out around me, which worked for a good while, but my mom upgraded from a SUV to a bigger SUV, which is an extra 2 feet longer, so I have to move my car everytime now. My dad has a truck, and works night shift, so I can't leave my car behind him at night, or else it'll get destroyed.

So then, I decided that I will just park behind my mother, move when she goes off, and then park halfway on the street, and then halfway on my front lawn (which also is steep after the first couple feet) and then at the end of the day, when all the car adventures are done, go ahead and pull it back onto the driveway.

However, I then find out that just starting and stopping the car will induce moisture and gas into my oil, thus making it burn oil faster. I'm at a rate of 1 quart for 900 miles.

So then I've finally developed a grand scheme:
Park in the driveway, pull it out in the morning and then drive down the block for half a mile, then come back and park halfway on the front lawn and street. Let the day go on, and then pull back in the driveway for the night.

Is that fine? Anything else I should do?

Also keep in mind that I am not a lazy child, I have two days off a week and spend them working at here at an online internship, and managing my schedule for the week, and doing yard work, and cleaning, and then maybe relaxing. But none of this involves having me go anywhere.

Feedback is appreciated

Last edited by Sweetness; 06-27-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
wtf your car can't even move a bit without messing up the engine? I move my car all the time, no burning oil.
Replace the CCV and stop treating it like some fragile weak sauce piece of junk.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
wtf your car can't even move a bit without messing up the engine? I move my car all the time, no burning oil.
Replace the CCV and stop treating it like some fragile weak sauce piece of junk.
okay then..
Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Take that SUV to home depot, pick up a shovel, bags of gravel and an immigrant and have him dig out a parking spot where the lawn is.

Go back to home depot, pick up some pavers or timbers and have the immigrant build a retaining wall.

This is what all my friends did who lived on steep hills. If you do it right it won't look like a clearcut.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
ptrcd003

My Ride: .
My car gets moved across the street every morning, even during the winter, and I haven't had any problems.
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
put on neutral and roll down the drive way. Leave it on street until night then park it back. 1-start up per day.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
That kind of treatment is bad for ANY car with an internal combustion engine.
90% or more of engine wear occurs in the first few seconds to minute of the car running. There's no getting around that.

As for oil consumption, driving it around the block might help, you'll have to just try it out. Otherwise, worst case scenario, take it out on some back roads and warm her up a bit, depending on where you live. What oil are you running?

Not sure how your property is, but I usually just clutch in to move my car if it's a short distance down hill and let gravity do all the work. No need to fire up the engine if your new parking spot is nearby and lower than your old one.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
you're overthinking things, bud. this time would be better used buffing and waxing the underside of your hood.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Slopestyle

My Ride: E46 '02. 330Ci Coup
are you serious?
Slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
you're overthinking things, bud. this time would be better used buffing and waxing the underside of your hood.
Real fanatics clay and wax the insides of their door panels n00b
Old 06-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Real fanatics clay and wax the insides of their door panels n00b
Can't say that I waxed it but I did wipe the sheet metal behind the door panels when I did my regulators. I also cleaned inside of the doors themselves.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Sweetness

Ok then just checking. I would rather have people haggle me rather than be like "yea you're fvking up your engine". Thus why I asked, because I needed enlightened. Thanks guys.
I have BMW 5w-30
Old 06-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
Take that SUV to home depot, pick up a shovel, bags of gravel and an immigrant and have him dig out a parking spot where the lawn is.

Go back to home depot, pick up some pavers or timbers and have the immigrant build a retaining wall.

This is what all my friends did who lived on steep hills. If you do it right it won't look like a clearcut.
Yea then I can use that shovel to dig my grave afterwords.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Oil loss at that rate is the CCV.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Any particular reason you can't park in the street?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Bimmer App

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Oil loss at that rate is the CCV.
The M54 oil consumption is a gigantic mystery. And I'll say this after spending numerous actual reading hours on this across several forums for years. Theres a deep technical discussion going on on bf.c right now and consensus is some of these blocks may have been machined incorrectly at the factory. I will say that I haven't heard about this too much on M54B25s as it seems less common on those engines (much less) than on M54B30s but I'm sure it can still happen. Long story short, high oil consumption is extremely common on S5X and M5X engines. You'll have those that say theirs don't burn a drop and they're likely telling the truth. It seems to be luck of the draw when it comes to BMW oil consumption. Providing all oil leaks are fixed, I highly doubt a CCV can cause anywhere near that consumption even if completely failed.

Best thing to do is drive the car, add oil, and enjoy it. You want the satisfaction of having a non-burning engine, you have to oversee the machining and rebuilding process yourself and do a lot of it yourself. New oil control rings, proper bore tolerance, proper valve guides and valve stem seals, etc etc.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I have BMW 5w-30
Try German Castrol on the next oil change. It has solved or greatly helped consumption issues for many.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
Try German Castrol on the next oil change. It has solved or greatly helped consumption issues for many.
5W-30 is fine. 0W-30 won't change a thing. I thought it did, but turned out to be wishful thinking. I'm still consuming and I run 0W-30 religiously.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I highly doubt a CCV can cause anywhere near that consumption even if completely failed.
Tell that to the two fanatics I did the CCV for that had their engines burning a quart every 500 miles. After the repair the problem was gone.

MANGO

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #20
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Tell that to the two fanatics I did the CCV for that had their engines burning a quart every 500 miles. After the repair the problem was gone.

MANGO
lol did they monitor their cars for at least two oil change intervals? 15,000 miles? Lots of times people get excited immediately after a repair and claim victory (I know I did when i switched to GC, i posted my oil consumption was cured) after long-term... it wasn't)

Maybe their CCVs were cracked and leaking oil at the bottom? Anything can happen. But S5X and M5X are extremely notorious for oil consumption. Ovaled out cylinder walls seems to be the culprit.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Tags
stupid american