E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
awszach

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Overheating! need help diagnosing please!

2000 323ci 200,000 miles
Someone has had to see something similar to this and can help me so i can get this fixed. please and thank you!

It has overheated a few times recently and generally its the same situations
I am ok on the highway when there is plenty of air getting in
It has been very hot lately and when i am stopped for any amount of time my temperature gauge will start rising. when it gets to the point of overheating I will pull over open the hood and let it cool.

the coolant reservoir and hose is extremely hot and the contents are boiling.

when it does get to the point of overheating on a corner of the coolant reservoir there is a steady stream squirting out as if it looks like its a crack or something and coolant is squirting out

I was going to epoxy it because i thought there was a crack but when it cooled it held liquid, I never did.

yesterday when it overheated coolant went everywhere and i had a bottle in my car, let the engine cool, (2 hours) filled it back up and continued.

It is overheating whenever there is not constant air going in the enging, and it is overheating way to fast, on hot days as of late it can overheat within minutes of not driving and the engine being on (traffic or stop lights)

I do not know if its a radiator problem, or my fan is broke or what? anyone who can lead me in the right direction to self diagnose or what to look for is much appreciated
awszach is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
quiksilver4drM3

My Ride: 330ci
Could be a vary of things, have your cooling system pressure tested ad that would tell you if the bottle is good or not. If its good then you might need a thermostat or a fan. Does the auxiliary and or any fan turn on?
quiksilver4drM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
awszach

I just remember the first problem i had overheating a month or more ago the fan stayed on after my car was shut off. I havent noticed that fan on as of recent. If that is enough to put me really hot really fast than that could be the reason

ALSO
it is cool today and i ran my engine for 15 minutes with the ac on low. the liquid in the resovoir got very hot and the hozes did as well in that 15 minutes
Old 07-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
It sounds just like the fan. Check when its at temperature if your electric fan is running. If it isn't and the temp is starting to creep up, then I'd say its either the fan or the temp switch. Then, check if the fan comes on when the a/c button is pressed. If it doesn't, I'd say its fan for sure

(make sure all applicable fuses for the fan are not blown)

Until you can get a fan, try not to stay stopped for long periods or run the a/c.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
quiksilver4drM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
It sounds just like the fan. Check when its at temperature if your electric fan is running. If it isn't and the temp is starting to creep up, then I'd say its either the fan or the temp switch. Then, check if the fan comes on when the a/c button is pressed. If it doesn't, I'd say its fan for sure

(make sure all applicable fuses for the fan are not blown)

Until you can get a fan, try not to stay stopped for long periods or run the a/c.
Agree, as stated above but if the fan use to stay on when the car was off it
might have shorted out but do the following checks that was stated
Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
awszach

thank you 2 very much. I am going to check out the fan/fuses tonight. Hopefully that is it. if not I will do more investigating and repost. thank you for saying things like check the fuses, this is the first car i have been working on myself and have been learning lots!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
My fan old fan ended up doing just that when I replaced it. Just before i went to take it out, while I was jostling the fan around, it turned on all on its own and stuck running even though the car was shut off. I had to unplug it to make it stop. Whatever goes wrong in the control unit seems to cause various shorts.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
quiksilver4drM3

Same thing happened to my 328i right after I sold it. The guy brought it back to my shop trying to blame me for it. Ahaha at the time it worked excellent with me.