E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #41
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Do the injectors and fuel pump!!!!!!!! FFS just doooo eeeeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft
Yea just put the FIC in. It already has the walbro intank
I just saw the dyno graphs of yesterday!! The 6466 turbo is unreal. It spools SO much quicker. With the stage 2.5 in pump gas mode it hits FULL BOOST (15psi) at 4,200rpm!! The top end also kicks the older 6776S's butt in pump gas mode. We will have the methanol maps and race fuel maps done shortly. As long as it can flow the air at the higher boost levels the 6466 will be an amazing turbo to have with our kits.

I will have comparison dyno graphs and videos early next week

Chris.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #42
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post

I just saw the dyno graphs of yesterday!! The 6466 turbo is unreal. It spools SO much quicker. With the stage 2.5 in pump gas mode it hits FULL BOOST (15psi) at 4,200rpm!! The top end also kicks the older 6776S's butt in pump gas mode. We will have the methanol maps and race fuel maps done shortly. As long as it can flow the air at the higher boost levels the 6466 will be an amazing turbo to have with our kits.

Chris.
I need to see what this thing does at 18psi pump...and 23psi with meth For a direct comparison of course
Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #43
yellowssm

My Ride: 2005 M3
Red face

Nice
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #44
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
BS. I want results now.

Borgwarner S467/Custom Twinscroll Tubular Manifold/Lab22-Radium E85 Fuel System/Brembo
792whp @ 555wtq 15psi E98

Old 07-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #45
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post

Chris.
Can't wait . I'd like to see the comparison between this and the 6766
Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #46
leletyM3

My Ride: 05 M3
Cant wait!!!

HPF Stg2 Turbo 640rwhp, Eisenmann Race 83mmx4, Volk TE37 TA, Toyo T1R, Brembo BBK 380mm 6pots & 345, 6k HID, 6K HID Fogs, Depo Smoked Corners, Strassentech Front Lip, V-CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser

Old 07-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #47
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
needs new fuel pumps apparently. FICs are in but they thought the inline failed. after replacing it the car was still too lean up top. intank is next on monday...hopefully then they can bring the boost up to 18/19 on pump
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #48
95silverM

My Ride: 05' IB M3
great news!! cant wait to see the graphs and hopefully some street pulls!

sold&missed

S54 Block & Crank in hand ::evilface::

Teddy
Eurotechniks
Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #49
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
I need to see what this thing does at 18psi pump...and 23psi with meth For a direct comparison of course
I wonder if the turbo will show any more appreciable gains(over 23psi) at 30psi. I dont know if this car wants to be the guinea pig for that experiment...or if it will be able to flow enough fuel at that level either.

I'd like to see if it runs out of steam or not at 30psi.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #50
M5chas

My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyminator View Post
Can't wait . I'd like to see the comparison between this and the 6766
Agree with this!
Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #51
Dreikraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
I wonder if the turbo will show any more appreciable gains(over 23psi) at 30psi. I dont know if this car wants to be the guinea pig for that experiment...or if it will be able to flow enough fuel at that level either.

I'd like to see if it runs out of steam or not at 30psi.
Why would u arbitrarily push a 64mm to 30psi?
John is going to push it til it starts to fall off and that's it... Whatever psi that ends up being on each map.
What I'm eagerly waiting for is one of u 71mm guys to step up to a qsv setup!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #52
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft View Post
John is going to push it til it starts to fall off and that's it... Whatever psi that ends up being on each map.
Need a new divided turbo for that I thought...

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 07-21-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #53
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Need a new divided turbo for that I thought...
Upgrade?

Borgwarner S467/Custom Twinscroll Tubular Manifold/Lab22-Radium E85 Fuel System/Brembo
792whp @ 555wtq 15psi E98

Old 07-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #54
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
Upgrade?
Lets see what the 6466 does fully uncorked S54 style...might not need anything else
Old 07-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #55
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft View Post
30 psi is not an arbritary number. It does seem to be the max boost that many shops choose not to exceed.

But you are absolutely correct in pointing out correct procedural issues. One must be careful around here. LOL. You will be brought to task for not posting correct procedures. I am Guilty as charged for omitting procedure.

Boost should always be increased slowly and in steps.....taking time to analyze data from each pull. NOT, just choose a max psi number and run with that.

The gradual way will indicate when more boost is not giving any more increases in power. You should be able to see the drop off when ever that happens.

What i should have said. "I wonder at what psi the turbo will run out of steam. I wonder if it will continue to make power all the way to 30psi which most shops dont exceed."

I know HPF likes to use 23psi as a max setting, but they will exceed that depending on a number of reasons including a discussion with the owner.

I remember Jason running some higher(than 23psi) max boost settings up to 30psi. I dont recall many builds that ran higher than 30. I am sure there were a few. Some/many (not sure) shops use 30psi as a cap. That is also the cap on my build. Thats not saying we will automatically run 30psi.

I am not sure what's so special about 30psi, or what can happen beyond that figure. I notice it being used as a max setting more than a few times. Maybe knock starts to be an issue. Perhaps head gasket issues can arise..or 30psi is a spot where diminishing returns take over. It just seems to be figure that many dont wish to exceed.

Last edited by Bdave; 07-22-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #56
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Who cares how much boost you are running if you have the proper fuel and engine internals to handle it? Why stop at 30 if the turbo will make more HP at 40? Why stop at 40 if it will make more at 50? On pure E85 I have no limit to the boost level as long as the turbo is making more HP. The problem I see with the M3 motor however is that above 900 RWHP there is some sort of bottle neck which we are initially assuming is the steedspeed manifold. If that was not there I would certainly run Tom's car above 40 psi with his 7675. If HPF is stopping at 23 there has to be a reason such as octane.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #57
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
Who cares how much boost you are running if you have the proper fuel and engine internals to handle it? Why stop at 30 if the turbo will make more HP at 40? Why stop at 40 if it will make more at 50? On pure E85 I have no limit to the boost level as long as the turbo is making more HP. The problem I see with the M3 motor however is that above 900 RWHP there is some sort of bottle neck which we are initially assuming is the steedspeed manifold. If that was not there I would certainly run Tom's car above 40 psi with his 7675. If HPF is stopping at 23 there has to be a reason such as octane.
It's situations like this where I like to say...

TOM FOR THE LOVE OF ALL BOOSTAHOLICS...LET THE MAN BUILD YOU A MANIFOLD!!!

Fly down for a visit...scare yourself shitless and return wanting more
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #58
Bdave

Quote:
Who cares how much boost you are running if you have the proper fuel and engine internals to handle it? Why stop at 30 if the turbo will make more HP at 40? Why stop at 40 if it will make more at 50? On pure E85 I have no limit to the boost level as long as the turbo is making more HP. The problem I see with the M3 motor however is that above 900 RWHP there is some sort of bottle neck which we are initially assuming is the steed speed manifold. If that was not there I would certainly run Tom's car above 40 psi with his 7675. If HPF is stopping at 23 there has to be a reason such as octane.
I have been talking to Larry recently about this and that. A HECK of a nice guy, BTW!.
Well, He certainly opened my eyes about boost. I want to learn more. We take it for granted but many of us dont really understand it as good as we think we do.
I hope you (Larry) might take this discussion even further. I started a Boost Basics thread. Everyone is invited to post.

Whoops, sorry. That's my man scaping channel!

Try this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=934608
Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #59
Bdave

Quote:
It's situations like this where I like to say...

TOM FOR THE LOVE OF ALL BOOSTAHOLICS...LET THE MAN BUILD YOU A MANIFOLD!!!

Fly down for a visit...scare yourself shitless and return wanting more
A tubular manifold will be next I have been told. It should make a redunkulous difference. Tom's car will likely shatter all records. And yeah, it'll be REAL scary, Freddy Kruger eating someone's liver scary!

I heard Tom was getting a sign made up for his car's interior. "Warning! Cork and tape all unsealed human orifices in order to retain internal organs.(and feces.)"
Old 07-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #60
Dreikraft

Quote:
Agreed. I'm chill just boosting smaller turbos into the mid 20s ....
4k powerband w/a sensitive throttle ftw
Closed Thread