E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #141
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
The 64 just seems like a pretty small turbo to me, I would have expected full boost before 4200rpm, since that's roughly when the 6766/6776 made full boost.
Unless something dramatic shows up I am going to agree and give my vote to the 6766 as the best compromise between spool time and power...at least for our cars.
Not to say the 64 is a bad choice. its not. Owners should be pretty pleased. More real world results are needed of course.
Ball bearing 6766 + tubular manifold + modified intake tube and adequate fuel supply and injector size=win for HPDE.
Great drag strip results can still be had with larger turbos if allowed to spool up on starting line.
I still would not say a 71mm turbo is a BAD choice for HPDE either. Use ethanol, open dump and free flowing intake tube(AFE air filter etc) and exhaust mani and the 71 should spool just fine.
Even with out ethanol I dont recall CW complaining much about spool on the track with his Stage 2.75. CW, care to comment? I dont want to put words in anyone's mouth.

I can see someone choosing a 64mm or a 67mm turbo for a new build. But if you are going to the great expense of changing to the smaller turbo, you must be pretty unhappy with your current spool time with your 71mm or larger turbo.
There are ways to help spool with out resorting to a whole brand new turbo..like new exhaust mani, modified intake tube, fuel change to E85, modifying driving techniques....

Do we need to get T shirts that say: "I accept and embrace my Turbo lag!" ?

Last edited by Bdave; 08-01-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #142
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Looks like the benefits of the 64 take place before 5k after that the 67 owns it. Look at the difference in tq at 2-4k and hp for that matter. By 5k they appear equal and after that the 67 takes off. The max tq #s on the pump and c16 map are pretty remarkable too.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #143
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft View Post
Looks like the benefits of the 64 take place before 5k after that the 67 owns it. Look at the difference in tq at 2-4k and hp for that matter. By 5k they appear equal and after that the 67 takes off. The max tq #s on the pump and c16 map are pretty remarkable too.
Have you decided to stay with the 64mm? It can be the perfect choice depending on your needs.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #144
Dreikraft

Haven't driven it yet so I couldn't tell you. I can say I wasn't impressed with the spool on the 6776.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #145
Bdave

Quote:
Haven't driven it yet so I couldn't tell you. I can say I wasn't impressed with the spool on the 6776.
Really? Well, that is a good reason to go to the 64mm then.

Are you that convinced an E85 tune will be untenable for you? It really is. I see that. I dont know why HPF cant give an E85 tune along with a pump gas and a race gas tune. That is reason enough for a no sale on the E85.

There is always the future with AEM Infinity which should afford every option hopefully. It would not be the worst thing to HAVE an E85 map as long as you can run all your other maps..race gas, pump, and meth spray.
I dont know if the new AEM could hold all those maps. Maybe.

You have to deal with what you can get now. I understand why you went with the race gas and meth option.It's the best choice rather than be locked in to ONLY ethanol.

I think you will get what you are looking for using the current AEM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #146
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
i asked for a safe c16 tune specifically as i think its a more suitable fuel to use on the track for a turbo car than 110L. i don't use race fuel and meth except for the occasional roll on race and i have no interest in ethanol since i like to drive the car all over the place and prefer to keep my fuel mixture as simple as possible. i don't even like meth to be honest but the torque numbers are hard to ignore.
i am confident that john will provide the best tune for this 6466 and when he is satisfied he has put his best foot forward i will be happy to beat the every living **** out of the car and give him my thoughts on the tune
I think both 110 and C16 are perfect track fuels for 23-24psi. Your C16 tune will be fine though. As Larry says, we can run that turbo quite a bit hotter and make more power but people need to be willing to take on the risks themselves. 36psi is quite a bit different than 23-24psi. ha ha. But there is quite a bit more power to be had at the higher boost levels.

Chris.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #147
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
I think both 110 and C16 are perfect track fuels for 23-24psi. Your C16 tune will be fine though. As Larry says, we can run that turbo quite a bit hotter and make more power but people need to be willing to take on the risks themselves. 36psi is quite a bit different than 23-24psi. ha ha. But there is quite a bit more power to be had at the higher boost levels.

Chris.
Exactly. What Chris says.

Last edited by Bdave; 08-01-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #148
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Exactly. What Chris says.

Hey Chris, we are dying to see vids of Tueday's HPDE with the newly re fabbed Orange Monster!
I put all the cars in our shop in front of my track day. I just didn't feel good pulling my guys off of those cars so we could run the orange M3. Noel's m3 and Rico's M3 will be on the dyno tomorrow. We are re-confirming the pump gas tune in Ben's car today and it will be ready to ship. We have a few more cars that we have in our shop that I will post up pics later this week. Very cool builds. We also have Sal's HPF Stage 2 that we are working on.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 08-01-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #149
Bdave

Quote:
I put all the cars in our shop in front of my track day. I just didn't feel good pulling my guys off of those cars so we could run the orange M3. Noel's m3 and Rico's M3 will be on the dyno tomorrow. We are re-confirming the pump gas tune in Ben's car today and it will be ready to ship. We have a few more cars that we have in our shop that I will post up pics later this week. Very cool builds. We also have Sal's HPF Stage 2 that we are working on.

Chris.
I actually went back and erased that comment. It was kind of demanding knowing how busy you guys are when I thought about it.
Good to know what happened and how your priorities go to the customer first!
Carry on.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #150
Dreikraft

Quote:

Chris.
I'm sure there's more power but John did exactly as I asked... A safe tune that didn't push it out of it's range.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #151
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:

Chris.

You need a customer like Tom that says turn it up as high as it will go and then add nitrous

My kind of guy!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #152
323tom

My Ride: 2 turbo e46's
Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound performance View Post
you need a customer like tom that says turn it up as high as it will go and then add nitrous

my kind of guy!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #153
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
You need a customer like Tom that says turn it up as high as it will go and then add nitrous

My kind of guy!
I rarely do it. But I really did laugh out loud when I read this. Great post!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #154
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Add another 2-3 psi before you ship it
Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #155
Dreikraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
Add another 2-3 psi before you ship it
U could make well into 700 pushing c16 meth but that would change the pump meth map.
If anything I'd like to try a different intake manifold for more torque/less topend like the maxpsi mani.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #156
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Quote:
U could make well into 700 pushing c16 meth but that would change the pump meth map.
If anything I'd like to try a different intake manifold for more torque/less topend like the maxpsi mani.
I'm willing to bet modifying your intake with a larger filter would help, as well as longer intake runners on your manifold.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #157
Dreikraft

Quote:
I'm willing to bet modifying your intake with a larger filter would help, as well as longer intake runners on your manifold.
Filter:
4 in. Flange ID; 5.75 Base OD; 4.75 in. Top OD; Length 7 in.
Cf intake no longer on there.
You been to the track lately? Seca? Willow? I'm dying to get back!

Last edited by Dreikraft; 08-02-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #158
Bdave

Quote:
Filter:
That sounds good! is it an AFE with the hollow center/core? They have a huge surface area because of their size and design.
What ever. Anything is better than the little K&N.

I am trying to sign up for DAYTONA in Oct.... a super FAST banked track, newly resurfaced. Very excited. AMG ETR has a short vid on this. Epic.
I have to ask specific permission because I am a convertible. Should be Ok since I will have a roll bar.

Last edited by Bdave; 08-02-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #159
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Filter:
I haven't had time for anything personal lately.. been swamped with work.

The flywheel bolts backed out in my car a few months ago and I parked it and haven't touched it since. I'll eventually get to fixing it.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Old 08-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #160
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
I haven't had time for anything personal lately.. been swamped with work.

The flywheel bolts backed out in my car a few months ago and I parked it and haven't touched it since. I'll eventually get to fixing it.
Flywheel bolts only back out if they aren't torqued to spec and locktite used. Are they going to fix it for you.

Chris.
Closed Thread