E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
threetwentyfizzle

My Ride: '00 323i
So I have a bad vanos

So the rebuilt motor I bought and installed a week or so ago obviously wasn't rebuilt right. After a week of driving, and having a gut feeling about it, I rediagnosed it at my work. and of course, a long laundry list of faults got pulled up. The obvious ones I knew of before hand were from my headers, I have yet to intall the O2 sim, but on top of that, I got about 6 vanos related faults from both intake and exhaust.

The diagnostic machine was pretty cool, it showed the postioning of both vanos solenoids in real time, and I found that the exhaust side is faulty and not moving at all.

This whole engine replacement has been probably the biggest F up and headache I've ever dealt with and am getting tired of having one thing after another get in my way of getting my car running legit again. Anyways, I happen to have my old vanos, which I had a feeling would come in handy, so my next plan is to try to swap them out.

I have read the beisan vanos seal replacement diy, and am just wondering how many of you have done it. Are there any snags involved with removing/installing a vanos? I know they are very delicate and the last thing I wanna do is destroy another motor. I plan on most likely replacing the seals in my original vanos then just swapping the whole unit over. Any input from experience would be much appreciated guys thanks again!

Last edited by threetwentyfizzle; 07-07-2012 at 04:53 PM.
threetwentyfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
HighPod

My Ride: '00 white 323ci
About a month ago i followed Beisan vanos seal procedures and everything came out and installed easily. i think if you can install a motor you can handle vanos seals
Old 07-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
threetwentyfizzle

Yea the motor was a nightmare, luckily I had help with it. Wiring was the biggest headache ever. I'm sure I can tackle the vanos, especially after assembling a shortblock, but i just want to know what to expect with this new project. Did you feel anything noticeable from replacing your vanos seals? Did you have to re-time your engine after removing and installing your vanos?

And has anyone experienced similar loss in power as I am from their vanos? Pick up is very slow and, I can stomp the accelerator to the ground and the car will creep until it hits 3k or so.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
From what I know 3k is the threshhold for vanos problems, and I've read many accounts of power, and response improvement after doing the vanos seals. I'm going to be doing mine probably later this summer/early fall when I do VCG.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
HighPod

i did notice better acceleration. it was worth the 60$ for the new seals. i have 175k miles and the vanos seals were plasticized and worn down. you have a double vanos. you dont have to worry about timing. beisan instructions couldnt be any more thorough.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
It took all day for me because I was being careful, but wasn't hard to actually do. I didn't notice much of a difference in performance, but at least my car doesn't almost stall out on cold mornings anymore. Make sure you have the tools the DIY says you need. You really need them.

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles

Last edited by e4Tsex; 07-07-2012 at 05:46 PM.
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
threetwentyfizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPod View Post
i did notice better acceleration. it was worth the 60$ for the new seals. i have 175k miles and the vanos seals were plasticized and worn down. you have a double vanos. you dont have to worry about timing. beisan instructions couldnt be any more thorough.
Are you sure the engine does not need timing by swapping a bad vanos unit with my original unit in good working order? I have techs at work saying otherwise, which is freaking me out a little lol. I'm pretty set on replacing the vanos seals asap on my original since it is already out and couldn't be easier to do lolol. Swapping the units is another story :/
Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
HighPod

i didnt have to do squat to the timing heres the instructions http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

if you had a single vanos then you have to "lock" the timing http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
Old 07-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
ryansteel87

My Ride: 2000 328i
I did this last year, and it was a piece of cake. I had only owned the car for about a month and had never done any work on it, but it still only took 6 or so hours. I'm sure if you already know your way around the engine it could take much less. The scariest part of the whole thing was taking out the reverse-threaded vanos bolts. I ran "righty-tighty lefty-loosie, now the opposite" through my head about a million times before I put pressure on them, but they came right out. If you follow the instructions you won't have to touch the timing at all.

Last edited by ryansteel87; 07-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
ryansteel87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
ryansteel87

To give you an idea of what it looks like the first picture is with the vanos still attached, and the second is after I removed it. The timing chain and cam gears are completely untouched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	042311123946.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	459768   Click image for larger version

Name:	042311133445.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	459769  
Old 07-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
No touching timing necessary or locking the engine when doing the job.

I read the instructions multiple times until it became reflex in my mind.

Saved a copy for my laptop to use when doing the job.

Did rattle fix at the same time. Why not when everything is wide open and all you need extra is an impact wrench and 4" bench vise with liners.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
threetwentyfizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansteel87 View Post
I did this last year, and it was a piece of cake. I had only owned the car for about a month and had never done any work on it, but it still only took 6 or so hours. I'm sure if you already know your way around the engine it could take much less. The scariest part of the whole thing was taking out the reverse-threaded vanos bolts. I ran "righty-tighty lefty-loosie, now the oposite" through my head about a million times before I put pressure on them, but they came right out. If you follow the instructions you won't have to touch the timing at all.
Yea I read thru the beisan diy a few times and removed my original vanos off my old motor, so I'm sure swapping the two units won't be too difficult. If all you guys have done it without re-timing then you all must be right. I just wanted to double check before I go thru with it. Thanks for the pics too.

Am I going to need a new VCG when I do this? I just put a brand new gasket in with that new motor or do you guys think I'll be safe?

Last edited by threetwentyfizzle; 07-07-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #13
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Short time on your gasket and you should be fine.
Examine when you remove and make the call then.
New Permatex (O2 sensor safe) is required.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
ryansteel87

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetwentyfizzle View Post
Am I going to need a new VCG when I do this? I just put a brand new gasket in with that new motor or do you guys think I'll be safe?
When I bought my car the dealer had installed a new VCG in during their inspection, so I just reused it. If the rubber is pliable and shows no signs of cracking you should be fine. I haven't had a leak with mine and it's been driven for well over a year since my VANOS job. Make sure you have a good quality bit set for when you take the two allen caps off the VANOS unit though. I had some cheap ones and snapped the driver adapter when I tried to take them off. It was a PITA walking to Farm and Fleet to get a new adapter with my car in pieces. Also, do make sure you have a proper torque wrench for the VANOS bolts. If they aren't torqued properly you can snap them off inside your cam gears, which would add a whole new level of suck to an otherwise easy job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
New Permatex (O2 sensor safe) is required.
+1

Do make sure you have new permatex to properly reseal your VCG, and make sure to scrape off all of the old stuff that might stick to the head. Anything that sticks to the gasket that wont peal off easily won't be a problem.

Last edited by ryansteel87; 07-08-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
threetwentyfizzle

Thanks guys, sorry for the delayed reply, but I will take all your advice to heart. I will be ordering the vanos seals in the next few weeks when I get some extra cash and will prob do the vanos swap in the next couple months. Hopefully the job will go quick just having to swap the 2 units out, that should shave some time off of it
Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #16
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Quote:
Originally Posted by e4Tsex View Post
It took all day for me because I was being careful, but wasn't hard to actually do. I didn't notice much of a difference in performance, but at least my car doesn't almost stall out on cold mornings anymore. Make sure you have the tools the DIY says you need. You really need them.
Did mine yesterday, and had to go out and get a pair of short (4") flat-nose pliers. The radiator gets in the way of anything longer for pulling out the exhaust side VANOS seal.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
threetwentyfizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Did mine yesterday, and had to go out and get a pair of short (4") flat-nose pliers. The radiator gets in the way of anything longer for pulling out the exhaust side VANOS seal.
How long did it take you to do the job? Removing the fan shroud didn't give you enough room?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Just have assorted sized needle nose pliers ready. or flat nose. i think he meant for removing the piston bolt cap.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Quote:
Originally Posted by threetwentyfizzle View Post
How long did it take you to do the job? Removing the fan shroud didn't give you enough room?
I spent the whole day on it, but I'm pretty slow. I take my time the first time I tackle something like this. No, I took out the fan first (electric on mine). Not quite enough room for 6" needle-nose.

It's that little plastic thing that you pull out to expose the left-hand threaded bolt. By the way, the Beisan instructions tell you there's a risk of breaking off those little bolts. I didn't, but I had spares anyway. Cheap insurance. Note that Beisan doesn't supply the VANOS gasket or the seal rings for the banjo bolt. You need to have them on hand.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
threetwentyfizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post

It's that little plastic thing that you pull out to expose the left-hand threaded bolt. By the way, the Beisan instructions tell you there's a risk of breaking off those little bolts. I didn't, but I had spares anyway. Cheap insurance. Note that Beisan doesn't supply the VANOS gasket or the seal rings for the banjo bolt. You need to have them on hand.
Will do! Thanks for the tips guys! Hopefully this will restore my lost low end torque that I am desperately needing. Not to mention gas mileage lolol