E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
How screwed am I? Insurance Co totaled my 2005 325it

A bad week just got much worse.

Got a preliminary call from the insurance adjuster and they're going to total my 2005 325it (Alpine white wagon, beige leather, sports package, manual transmission.)

I've never been in this situation before, but I'm assuming there's not much I can do aside from haggling with them about the amount of the check.

Any advice? Options?

FWIW, that car was my favorite thing in the world, and I had every intention of driving it until the engine block cracked at 1,200,000 miles.

Now my wife will end up driving a used Yaris and I'll be driving her 12-year old minivan that I should have been driving on Saturday.

Arrgh.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Sorry about the news.. You could always get a check from the insurance company and both of you walk away, you get to keep the car. Could be an available option and might cover the extent of damages..
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
It's good that they even covered your car's mechanical problem.
I thought they would only cover collision damages.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
avincent52

SammK
Thanks for the sympathy. Most normal folks don't understand how you can love a car.

I guess that's an option, but I don't want to end up with a check for $x,000 and a repair bill for $x,000+ $5,000 and have a car that's worth $x,000 -- $5,000 because it was in an accident.

Merc: They're not covering any "mechanical problems." It's just that the car has front end damage, so I need a place that can make sure the suspension and any engine parts are fixed correctly. I think that's all academic now.

Arrgh.

Minivans!!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
just buy another car with the same/better specs. No point in driving a car that has been in an accident if you're going to be paid to get another one.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
I don't get it
This unfortunate accident is usually the way to get highest value for your car.

Collect your check and this time look for a 330it
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Don't accept a check based on book value. Explain that a manual transmission RWD wagon is quite rare and worth more in the market than automatic xi models. Find comparable cars for sale in your area to show them. If there are none, just fight with them about it. Put together reciepts for maintenance, pictures of the condition of the car, etc. You may even want to contact a few indie dealers in your area by email to ask them what they would charge you for a manual RWD touring with around x miles on it, so you have accounts of professionals valuing the car.

Last edited by fiveightandten; 07-10-2012 at 12:15 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
avincent52

I need a wagon and want/need a manual and the sports package, which are rare as hen's teeth. Mine was in virtually perfect condition, with very low miles (60,000) and also one of the very last E-46s made.
The only silver lining is that I didn't just go spend a couple grand on the 60K service.

I don't know what the company's going to give me, but the claims adjustor stopped at around $13k.

The extent of my screwdness is this:
a) I don't think there is another car with comparable specs/condtion, much less a better one.
b) If such an animal existed, I doubt the money from the insurance company would be anywhere enough to buy it.

And it won't be enough to fix mine.

If anyone sees options (or reasons to be optimistic aside from the fact that I'm not in the hospital) please chime in. The guy gave me false hope yesterday telling me that the car wouldn't be a total loss, and needless to say, I'm none too happy.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
When bad things happen to sweet wagons!

From personal experience it will take a while to find one you like, but there are other wagons out there. I'd resist the tempation to try to fix the wrecked one if the insurance company will total it and cut you a [reasonable] check. I had a friend who tried to fix a car he loved that was crashed & totalled, and it was never right. Not to mention it would have been cheaper in the end just to get a similar replacement car, one that didn't have a salvage title.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
MercForHire

13k is fair enough to pay.
Sentimental values has no monetary value. What's lost is lost.
Buy another one. You have plenty of cash
Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
avincent52

Merc
I didn't say they'd pay me $13,000. They just said that was their preliminary estimate of what it would cost to repair the damage.
They'll probably pay me much less and even $13K doesn't buy that much car around here.

There are, of course, plenty of people who say "a car's a car, just a hunk of metal get over it" but I didn't expect to find them on a BMW board.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
avincent52, I feel your pain. My car was totaled on the 6th of June by an idoit running a red light. Its taken almost a month to get resolved. The insurance company won't take into account how rare your car is which sucks. Mine was just a 330ci black on Black coupe auto(Not special like yours). I am upgrading to a 2003 ZHP black on black sedan. Picking it up this weekend.

Keep track of your costs to find another car, I'v spend nearly a grand now to find the car I want. Don't settle on something you don't want and take the time to really look. Hopefully you find something. GL
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
If the car is priceless to you, fix it.

Or, buy the only other e46 touring for sale in America and use the extra cash to upgrade the **** out of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/323it...item4845c25441

Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
At a quick glance, the KBB value for your car is around 13200 (excellent condition)... So that plus the 'rarity premium'... Agree with what fiveightandten said above; get the most out of your insurance company.. You've paid for the peace of mind and it's time for payback baby!!

But money alone can't replace your car. First off, you're in love with it, and second off, there's hardly any manual transmission wagons on Autotrader that you can even look at...! Found this (beware of the sticker though!!!! )

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...25741877&Log=0
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
avincent52

Schlag
There are dozens of 325iTs. Almost all are automatics, non sports package. Both are deal breakers for me.
The one you point out is an automatic, non sports and has 40,000 more miles than mine.

FWIW, I did a nationwide search on AOL and didn't come up with a single 5 speed wagon that had anywhere near the low mileage mine had.

Maybe there's a little old lady who's got one stashed in her garage.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
MercForHire

get an audi A4 avant.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
avincent52

I had a A4 Avant with a 5 speed--sense a trend?--and it just doesn't compare to the BMW
Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
Schlag
There are dozens of 325iTs. Almost all are automatics, non sports package. Both are deal breakers for me.
The one you point out is an automatic, non sports and has 40,000 more miles than mine.

FWIW, I did a nationwide search on AOL and didn't come up with a single 5 speed wagon that had anywhere near the low mileage mine had.

Maybe there's a little old lady who's got one stashed in her garage.
My mistake; I put in "manual" on the options to the left and found this so something must have gone awry. And the title said sport so I assumed it had that package. My point was, if you can find a nice condition low mile touring that you can upgrade (even one at auction that needs an engine or transmission that you can upgrade) that is always an option and an awesome project car.

I'll be the first to sub your E46 Sleeper Wagon V8 / manual swap thread!!!

It's too bad you can't data mine every state's DMV records to find out who has a certain car. That would be helpful.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
bighitbiker3

My Ride: Nothing as of yet.
Losing a car really is sad. I lost my GS300 when I was 17 after I rolled it off a 30 ft cliff (almost my life as well as my three friend's in the car too). I seriously was in love with that thing. Happened the day before my turbo kit came in and me and my dad were about to put it on blocks to install. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise IMO. I probably would have easily died with 330whp and no wake up call.

Now the beauty of it is that although I lost something that I really loved, I got over it pretty fast. And the insurance check was substantially more than I could have ever sold it for private party. I don't know if it's because we have a good relationship with our insurance or what, but in my experience they have treated us very well.

Don't worry about the car, it's an object. You're okay and you're about to have an asset that's most likely worth more, and definitely more liquid than a car. Start looking for your new car and get excited! It's a new car and nothing is more exciting than getting a new car! Not even a baby
Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Not sure if it has the sports package VIN doesn't seem to work...They are asking 53,000 which ahs got to be a typo.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...25741877&Log=0

This one has a S54 swapped into it LOL. This would be a SICK sleeper.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...22869901&Log=0

Last edited by zander271; 07-10-2012 at 03:52 PM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote